Mini fridge size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdawson9

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in Florida and want to start control temp better during fermentation, especially since summer is starting soon. I just bottled my first batch of beer and temp was constant throughout the fermentation but was on the high side (78 F). What cubic size mini fridge can hold a 6.5 plastic bucket or glass carboy (and room for blow off tube if needed)? Thanks!

I have not done this ...but some folks have bought a mini fridge and expanded them with plywood or other materials.

I have used an evaporation cooler or a swamp cooler. This is a pretty easy way to knock 8 or 10 degrees off of your fermenter.

MikeinCT said:
I have not done this ...but some folks have bought a mini fridge and expanded them with plywood or other materials.

I have used an evaporation cooler or a swamp cooler. This is a pretty easy way to knock 8 or 10 degrees off of your fermenter.

This is on my list of things to do this summer... The are a few threads in the DIY forum that cover a fermentation chamber. Check over there.

I believe if you got a 15 x 15 x 30 on the inside it should be fine. I finally just got a wine fridge to use and its a pain in the ass because a lot of the mini/wine fridges have that hump in them for the working parts. I havent been able to get my bucket in mine yet because its full and I dont want to move it so Im hoping it works out lol.

I live in Florida too. Going to build a nice big fermentation chamber this summer, but for now I am going the easy/cheap route. A friend was gonna throw his fridge away (regular size, freezer on top style). I took it, removed all of the shelves and built a very simple wooden platform to bring the bottom of the fridge to a larger, level size.

I took the freezer door off so I don't get mold up there, and take advantage of the space for general garage storage (wife says it is just another place to put "junk").

I can put 2 fermenting buckets in there.

I keep it cool by setting a frozen bottle or 2 of water in with the beer each morning. I watch the temp - if it is creeping up, I use a gallon size jug. If it is trending lower, I use a 22 oz water bottle.

Come summer I might have to alternate between the gallon sized jugs - we'll see. But keeping the temp between 67-70 is no problem at all, and it would be easy to drop it a few degrees.

The only downside is that I have to check it each day.

Back