Mini Fridge Fermenting Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallachia

Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm tired of only brewing during ideal months where my garage maintains a good fermentation temperature. I recently got back a mini fridge from work, and thought I should build a fermentation chamber around it.

The problem with it is that the mini fridge is very small, most of the builds I see use a tall mini fridge and build a collar around it then extend it from there. In my case the fridge is smaller than the fermenter, so I'm not sure how I would build it around the fridge but also extend it vertically

Anyone have any insight or have built something like it?

Apologies for the mess, things got a little rained on before I brought them in

K3SGCRb.jpg

8Cw3BVK.jpg

5BuRame.jpg

Those mini fridges don't have a lot of cooling capacity. For example, you may not be able to cold crash or lager at 32F.
You're probably better off building an insulated chamber (e.g., 2 inch rigid foam) your fermenter fits in. Or fits 2, while you're at it.

Then use a small window air conditioner for cooling. The non electronic ACs are simpler to hook up to a temp controller, such as an Inkbird. There are documented builds for those around.

Those mini fridges don't have a lot of cooling capacity. For example, you may not be able to cold crash or lager at 32F.
You're probably better off building an insulated chamber (e.g., 2 inch rigid foam) your fermenter fits in. Or fits 2, while you're at it.

Then use a small window air conditioner for cooling. The non electronic ACs are simpler to hook up to a temp controller, such as an Inkbird. There are documented builds for those around.

Hmm, that would be a shame, I would think a mini fridge wouldnt have to work too hard in my climate, I'm usually actually more concerned with keeping the fermenter warm than cooling it down. Daytime temps are usually fine here, but night gets a bit below comfort zone.

6EVYx59.png

In any case, even if this can't work I appreciate the advice -- I can go for other options, I just hoped not to waste the mini fridge

The inner door panel is easy to pop off and make a collar around the front to extend out the door then reinsulate. To make it taller would likely be an issue. I believe that fridge may have coolant lines running through the top of it. What @Bigdaddyale said is likely your best bet if you want to use the fridge.

Back