Mini fridge advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Signguy

Reaction score
I am considering moving to kegging and would like to build my own dual-tap kegerator using a mini fridge. Any recommendations as to what to look for in a fridge for this application? Any preferred brands/models? I was originally looking at the Danby Keg Cooler available at Costco, but it is only single tap and would need to be converted from Sanke to ball connectors.

Are you looking for just homebrew applications (like Corny kegs) or were you planning on drinking other kegs like half barrel (Bud Light, etc)?

You also mentioned Costco. Is it safe to assume you are in the US?

I got a beer fridge from Max Tool based out of California and have been really happy with it. It holds all sizes of kegs (which you can read about here if you are unfamiliar). I recently started kegging my own home brew and have had to modify my keg fridge accordingly. It can get expensive so I decided to keep the Sankey for big parties and run my home brew from inside the door with the ball system. My fridge holds two Corny kegs so I run a manifold from my CO2 tank all from inside.

Basically, you have a lot of flexibility. Narrow your choices down and then we can talk modifications. Don't worry though. It was easier than I thought it was going to be and this forum was very helpful.

Thanks for the info. Actually, I'm in Canada, we have Costco here as well. I would be looking at using Corny kegs exclusively, not really interested in an entire keg of commercial beer. It would be nice to have a bit of extra space in the fridge but I am a bit limited in the space that I have available for the kegerator so if it could hold 2 or possibly 3 kegs that is All I would need. I already have a source for a dual tower, taps, manifold, regulator, lines, CO2 tank and kegs.

OK. Looks like you are looking at something like this (except at Costco and not Home Depot) and the one I have is similar. The trick is converting the Sanke part to the Ball Lock needed for your Corny(s). You can start here to convert to the Ball Lock and then go here to get you to 2 independent towers. Again, I was satisfied with not running my home brew through the tower and decided to stay with a simple picnic tap (x2) inside my fridge as seen right here. I scored mine at my local home brew shop. I saved some cash my way but loose cool points.

It can be done... I am unaware of a smoother way but I will keep looking around.

What do you think? Does that help?

-Ritalin

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, here is the thread I used to start my research a few months ago. They mention the quick-disconnect capability but do not address the two-tower setup. I am interested, but almost at the point of going bigger. In other words, I am happy for now.

-Ritalin

Nice! Both are really cool!
Minus the tower, your conversion is what I have going on. That should turn out sweet. I also like the Whirlpool conversion. Doing your research now is going to end up saving you a lot of cash in the future. Brew on brothers!
-Ritalin

I just checked out the Canadian Tire website and it looks like they no longer sell this item. I noticed in the link that it might be the same as one of the Danby fridges. I might have to look into that a bit further. The tutorial is an excellent guide though, thanks.

Ended up using a Sylvania fridge that I already had. Turns out this model is really simple to convert and fits 2 Corny kegs and a 5 lb tank perfectly. Now I just need to replace the fridge I "borrowed" from my shop!

image-2526108600.jpg

Thanks. Forgot to include the pic of the inside. A tight fit, but got 2 kegs and a 5 lb CO2 tank in there. Only interior mods were moving the thermostat dial and removing the door panel and replacing it with a piece of polystyrene.

image-2715492297.jpg

Back