Mineral additions not mixing- white flakes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FVillatoro

Reaction score
Hey mates,

Today I wanted to use a water profile from Brun' water that had me add some epsom salt and pickling salt (calcium chloride).
I have only used gypsum, calcium chloride, and lactic acid before and they have mixed well.

I measured calcium chloride, gypsum, epsom salt, and canning salt using a very precise scale that measures in 0.1 of a gram.

The minerals were measured and added to the mash water and sparge water kettles and then I squirted a measured amount of lactic acid. I then proceeded to add the water (RO water), and stirred.
Floating on both kettles were little white flakes that were not there before and I had cleaned both before hand and the water was also clean.

The flakes appear almost plastic-like... maybe they'll dissolve once I heat up the water? Maybe next time I should add the water first, and then stir each mineral in at a time?

Should I brew with it? :confused:

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Here's a pic of the bottom of the kettle to show what I got.

20160317_175121.jpg

Back