Mills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everybody's different. There is, imo, a point to having a dedicated mill station. If you brew often and/or doing 10G batches or bigger, I think adding a dedicated motor to a grain mill is definitely worth considering.

I'm more in the same boat as you. The most I brew is 5 gallon batches and I haven't gotten to brew as often as I'd like either, so a basic cordless drill and bucket (which I'm currently using) is my best option for a milling station.
I have been brewing for 15 years, now I am just now motorizing a mill. And no regrets for the small amount of money it costs.

I helped my friend put this motor on a 2 roller mill and it wont mill rye and he has to slowly pour in the grains or it jams. I would not recommend this motor.

IMG_1121.JPG

Works great and holds enough to do large grain bills.

Another drill-based station for a JSP Maltmill. I use a router speed controller to adjust the drill rpms as the drill is single speed. I have an insert I created from a small garbage can which fits in the wood bin and holds 20 lbs of grain. The drill, controller, and mill are all attached to the lid with zip ties so I can turn the lid upside down and store it all pretty compactly.
SCfsrzl.png

Another drill-based station for a JSP Maltmill. I use a router speed controller to adjust the drill rpms as the drill is single speed. I have an insert I created from a small garbage can which fits in the wood bin and holds 20 lbs of grain. The drill, controller, and mill are all attached to the lid with zip ties so I can turn the lid upside down and store it all pretty compactly.
SCfsrzl.png
great idea with the bin lid!

great idea with the bin lid!
Thank you. There's a piece of plywood cut out in the shape of the lid on the other side to add stability. I didn't think the lid by itself would support the mill, drill, and speed controller. I have used it about 50 times over the last 3 years and its held up well.
KcnQPqO.jpg

Last edited:
SCfsrzl.png

This is really cool. I may build something modeled off of this concept. I would like a "milling station" but don't really have room for a dedicated cabinet solution. This looks like quick setup and tear down, easy storage, yet still giving the effect of a powered milling station cabinet. Cool idea.

This is really cool. I may build something modeled off of this concept. I would like a "milling station" but don't really have room for a dedicated cabinet solution. This looks like quick setup and tear down, easy storage, yet still giving the effect of a powered milling station cabinet. Cool idea.
Thanks. I keep mine on top of a refrigerator in our garage so it really takes up zero room. It takes a minute to pull it off and set it up and about the same to put it back into storage. I don't have room unfortunately for a dedicated permanent milling area and this solution has worked great as an alternative.

Back