Milled too course?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbayav8er

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My LHBS milled this grain for me, and is it just me or does it look a little too course? I brew with a brewzilla.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240317_103546.jpg
    20240317_103546.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Can't see if there are smaller pieces and flour that have sifted to the bottom of the bag underneath the large kernels on top, but from the picture it looks too coarse. You'll still be able to make beer but might have lower efficiency.

it looks coarse to me also . the grains look cracked and should be ok but usually i dont see such big whole husks after milling

A lot of the kits I use to do looked about like that. They made decent beer. But if your recipe is based on a high efficiency, then it might not be enough to give you the OG you need depending on how you go about mashing and how good you are at it.

If you know what the pre boil SG is, you can just estimate how much more time you need to boil to evaporate more water to get to the desired OG. If your hop additions are timed from the end of boil as most are, then no issue for hops. But if you have one of the recipes that counts 0 as the start of boil, then you will need to adjust them.

Looks fine for a course crush. As long as the husks are broken and kernels exposed, it’s fine. Just extend mash time, if you normally have a finer crush.

That might give a better idea. There seem to be plenty of fractured pieces of kernel or what ever their proper name is.

If you are recirculating the wort back through the grain you probably don't want it very fine. At some point, it will take too long to drain and no amount of rice hulls will solve that well.

I remember reading an excerpt from a brewing publication from the 1800's on the brewing process. In the section regarding mashing it said something to the effect of... grains only need be broken into two or three pieces (paraphrasing) and the reason being that water will do its job once the insides of the grain are exposed (a broad paraphrasing there).

That being said I still would rather mill my grains a little finer than two or three pieces but it does ease my mind some when I have a course grind to work with.

Back