Milk Stout:Time in primary+bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoondoggleBrews

Reaction score
So this is my second time trying with this exact kit,
Irish Extra Stout, with 1KG dark malt exact and 500g lactose.

I've been reading some of the treads here(this one in particular) and have decided to leave everything in the primary for longer.
I'm unsure if I should be leaving it for 3 or 4+ weeks though. As the moment it looks like 3weeks+2days I'll have the time to bottle.
Does this sound right?
Also how long should I leave the stout to bottle condition and should I cold crash it for 48 hours after this time?

Thanks. I appreciate any feed back/advise.

For my Milk/Sweet Stout, I leave it in primary between 2 and 3 weeks, cold crash for 36 to 48 hours, bottle condition for approximately 2 weeks at about 72*F and then test one. Usually testing means chilling it for 24 hours and then opening it to check for carbonation level, head retention and final taste, if it isn't ready I will try another in 2 days until I get it where I like it. Once there, either counter top pasteurize or place in the cooler to stop the yeast from continuing. On average, it takes my Stout about 5 weeks total from brew day to drinking. 3 weeks if I keg it.

I was wondering why you only leave it 2-3 weeks? Is this just for milk/sweet stouts?

And would my 3 weeks +2 days be a bad idea or would it make no difference?

For what it's worth, I just cracked open a batch of regular stout that spent two weeks in primary and another two in the bottle; tastes like stout :) Since lactose isn't a fermentable sugar, I can't think of a reason that it would change that timeframe.

I always do a brews the same way; 4 weeks primary fermenter, no secondary, 4 weeks bottle conditioning 24-48 hours chilling. Right now I'm drinking a chocolate milk stout I did recently. Amazing head!!!

So we did 3 and bit weeks in primary,no secondary and about 4 weeks in the bottle. We tired a few after 3 weeks in the bottle and they definitely taste better after the extra week.

All in all very happy with the end result. Nice creamy stout and not too sweet. It does however have a bit of a low abv (about 4%) but I'm OK with that.

Going to try making a few bottles of maple stout in the next batch.

Latest posts

Back