Milk Stout Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
5-gallon batch - mash @ 154 for 60 min. - 60 min. boil
Predicted OG - ~1.048
Predicted FG - ~1.012

4 lbs. extra light DME
1 lb. crystal 40
1 lb. chocolate malt
.5 lb. roasted barley
1 lb. Lactose sugar

1 oz. Northern Brewer @ FWH

S-05

I've never used more than 1/4 lb. of chocolate malt, and I've never used Lactose sugar. I'm looking for a creamy sweet stout with strong chocolate flavors and a nice roasty backbone.

I've considered adding cocoa nibs or chocolate extract, but I wanted to get a nice chocolate flavor with the grains alone. Thoughts or experiences?

A pound of chocolate malt along with the roasted barley may give you a more burnt flavor. It would mellow in time but you might look at using pale chocolate malt (200-225L) for a slightly lighter touch. A couple of ounces of nibs in secondary might enhance it some. Not sure what your IBUs would be but I would keep them <25.

I just brewed a Left Hand Milk Stout Clone. When I did my calculations for FG Beersmith assumed that Lactose is fermentable and indicated a much lower FG then what was achieved. My OG was 1.075 and FG ended up at 1.035. I spent a week trying to figure out why I did not hit my FG of 1.017 as indicated in Beersmith. I would watch out for that.

Back