Military Might

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone driven a "duece and a half"? That was the old military truck. They preceded the 5T trucks. I drove them right out of boot camp. IIRC, 4 speed stick out of the floor. One of those massive sticks you could really slam and feel good about.

Watching a military show now and they are talking about them during WW2.

1628813472547.png

Was at a college football game last year and two F-22's went over the stadium. They were horiz, then hit the jets and went vertical. What a rush. When I am reincarnated, I'm joining the navy and flying one :)

The F-22 is USAF-only; there's no Navy version. Their Super Hornets are pretty capable, though. You could fly one of those when you come back.

Don't get me started on the F-35, though. Over-priced and under-performing. The only thing they're good for is shutting down meetings because they're so dadgum loud.

Don't get me started on the F-35, though. Over-priced and under-performing. The only thing they're good for is shutting down meetings because they're so dadgum loud.

Man, you got that right. I happened to be on base at Mt. Home AFB two years ago. There were several F-35s in the local traffic pattern. The loudest airplane I'd heard before then was probably a Navy RA-5C in Zone 5 afterburner, or maybe an F-106 taking off. Then there's the multi-service "clean air converter" F-4 Phantom (converts jet fuel into smoke and noise).

Anyone driven a "duece and a half"? That was the old military truck. They preceded the 5T trucks. I drove them right out of boot camp. IIRC, 4 speed stick out of the floor. One of those massive sticks you could really slam and feel good about.

View attachment 738804
Never served in the armed forces, but our local fire department used to have one to pull a tanker. I always had to back it up to the dump tank because I was one of the few who could back a trailer in tight spots with my farming/ truck driving background.

The F-22 is USAF-only; there's no Navy version. Their Super Hornets are pretty capable, though. You could fly one of those when you come back.

Over-priced? Not to buy in comparison to 4th Gen offerings. Way to expensive to sustain over time, but that's a different thing.

Under-performing? How, and where did you get your info? I have first hand, in the field, warfighter knowledge and it doesn't mirror this statement. In fact, I've been amazed with how well the jet performs for what we asked it to do. But, I've only got 9 years of experience on that jet and 28 years on all kinds of USAF fighters, what do I know?

That is the Reno Guard. I was with the 1st TRS at RAF Alconbury and the 62nd TRS at Shaw AFB, SC I did two Red Flags and three REFORGERs. No live fire at the REFORGER and no really High Speed. Red Flag included live Ordnance and Supersonic.

Over-priced? Not to buy in comparison to 4th Gen offerings. Way to expensive to sustain over time, but that's a different thing.

Under-performing? How, and where did you get your info? I have first hand, in the field, warfighter knowledge and it doesn't mirror this statement. In fact, I've been amazed with how well the jet performs for what we asked it to do. But, I've only got 9 years of experience on that jet and 28 years on all kinds of USAF fighters, what do I know?
Seems to be a lot of "bum gouge" out there, re: both F-22 & F-35. Bad dog fighter, can't turn & burn, Yada, Yada. If the bad guys don't see ya' and you Fox a few at 'em, you'll never have to merge to engage.

The old adage was, "Speed is Life", but nowadays stealth, theater awareness and a few good missiles define air superiority.

That is the Reno Guard. I was with the 1st TRS at RAF Alconbury and the 62nd TRS at Shaw AFB, SC I did two Red Flags and three REFORGERs. No live fire at the REFORGER and no really High Speed. Red Flag included live Ordnance and Supersonic.
Had a buddy who flew Rhinos there in a past life, probably late 80s time-frame.

Seems to be a lot of "bum gouge" out there, re: both F-22 & F-35. Bad dog fighter, can't turn & burn, Yada, Yada. If the bad guys don't see ya' and you Fox a few at 'em, you'll never have to merge to engage.

The old adage was, "Speed is Life", but nowadays stealth, theater awareness and a few good missiles define air superiority.

I saw the first RED FLAG's with F-35s used, and no one had ever seen the F-22s more confused. No, it's not the best fighter at the merge--wasn't ever built purely to fight at the merge, though it sure can do it (with heavy energy bleed off in the first turn). It's got stubby wings, not awesome wing loading (Boyd would have hated it), and a bulky lifting body. But, it has monster AoA, doesn't need a Growler to go everywhere, almost more battlespace SA than an AWACS, a motor with more power than you'd believe, and more than double the internal gas of a Viper. And, world class low observability (good luck in a Super Hornet beak to beak many miles apart) and a killer AESA on the nose with gobs of power. The "Fat Man in the Magic Suit" doesn't fight like a Viper, but she's got plenty of fight in a different way, and much more effective against the latest threats.

Haven't met an operator who came from any other platform that wanted to go back, other than one salty F-22 test pilot that was still in love with the mighty Raptor and it's Air Dominance mission. Pick almost any other mission type, and the Lightning II is a top and most effective choice. Might be a Swiss Army Knife, but she's a real dang good one. Anyone who thinks the F-35 is under-performing is someone who is under-informed.

Too bad we cannot afford to sustain them. Not as bad as the Raptor, but not what the services planned for POM-wise, by a wide (but shrinking) margin. F-35 rant off.

Last edited:
I saw the first RED FLAG's with F-35s used, and no one had ever seen the F-22s more confused. No, it's not the best fighter at the merge--wasn't ever built purely to fight at the merge, though it sure can do it (with heavy energy bleed off in the first turn). It's got stubby wings, not awesome wing loading (Boyd would have hated it), and a bulky lifting body. But, it has monster AoA, doesn't need a Growler to go everywhere, almost more battlespace SA than an AWACS, a motor with more power than you'd believe, and more than double the internal gas of a Viper. And, world class low observability (good luck in a Super Hornet beak to beak many miles apart) and a killer AESA on the nose with gobs of power. The "Fat Man in the Magic Suit" doesn't fight like a Viper, but she's got plenty of fight in a different way, and much more effective against the latest threats.

Haven't met an operator who came from any other platform that wanted to go back, other than one salty F-22 test pilot that was still in love with the mighty Raptor and it's Air Dominance mission. Pick almost any other mission type, and the Lightning II is a top and most effective choice. Might be a Swiss Army Knife, but she's a real dang good one. Anyone who thinks the F-35 is under-performing is someone who is under-informed.

Too bad we cannot afford to sustain them. Not as bad as the Raptor, but not what the services planned for POM-wise, by a wide (but shrinking) margin. F-35 rant off.
Truth ^^^^

View attachment 738804

Yeah, almost as much fun as my old two stick Mack. A friend of mine still uses a multifuel Duece (M35A1) w dump piston to run scrap, and although his truck is in great shape, he refers to it as his "over the road torture device". Loud as heck, I'm sure you remember.

The WW2 models (M-135 etc) had a nice gas flathead, at least they were somewhat quiet.

Yeah, almost as much fun as my old two stick Mack. A friend of mine still uses a multifuel Duece (M35A1) w dump piston to run scrap, and although his truck is in great shape, he refers to it as his "over the road torture device". Loud as heck, I'm sure you remember.

The WW2 models (M-135 etc) had a nice gas flathead, at least they were somewhat quiet.

It was the heat that was a problem for me. Over long drives, the rumble and heat would make me sleepy. I learned to drink coffee driving trucks (had two pots today :eek: ). Also, smoked like a chimney. Getting sleep while driving a truck full of marines and gear will freak you out.

Ragging hyperbolically on the F-35 is a popular hobby for acquisition folks. If you look at the program from inception to what's been delivered, compare the original budget to the actual (do you even Nunn-McCurdy Breach, bro?), compare the original planned IOC to the actual, and consider the total lifecycle cost now estimated at over $1.5 trillion, it has not been a successful program.

Can we extract utility from the platform? Sure. It has some really cool tech, but imagine if that tech had been delivered anywhere near on time and on budget....

I remember when some of these went to auction, was a active topic of conversation on the military vehicle forum. Some were even recalled by govt after sale...

That back half, behind the articulating joint was normally a kingpin, so I could haul heavy equipment on a lowboy. Backing up that thing with two joints behind you was something. I was really good at it, but took some practice. I was training another guy to drive it and he laid it on its side. Lucky there was a dozer with some tackle that pulled us out of that ditch, just broke a mirror. Testament to the field-worthiness of the vehicle. Got a little speech by CO.

Perhaps, but when you finally become a Naval Aviator you'll have achieved Nirvana.
Although still second to the Air Force, you’d have been a little closer had you said Marine Corps. Aviation hierarchy is as follows:
Air Force > Marine Corps > well trained monkey with lots of bananas > Navy

Ha, ha. I had a tour instructing both Navy and Marine Corps student pilots in jet transition (FAM, Instruments, Formation, Basic Tactics and Air-to-Air Gunnery). Teaching Marines was very similar to training monkeys with bananas (it's a JOKE, Jarheads!).

I understand that there is limited cross-deck training of Air Force students in Navy squadrons and vice-versa. The Navy studs need some limited remedial training since the runways they'll be operating from are a bit shorter and are known to frequently not be in the same location where you left them after completing a mission.

Air Force pilots seemed to do "O.K." in Navy squadrons except for their propensity to consider "tight formation" as "same day, same direction" (it's a JOKE, Zoomies). That, plus the fact they were always asking, "Who's this guy everybody calls Roger Ball?" Naval Aviators would understand.

When I was in, we never exchanged pilots with the Navy or Marines. I did host a detachment of Marine RF4B s at Shaw. I was going to get a trap in the Back Seat, but alas, the Carrier was not available. I did CCAs at Maypearl (Docked Carrier) in Florida while at UPT (Undergraduate Pilot Training) at Moody AFB. We had a flight that we did a TACAN ARC at NAS Cecil, a CCA at Maypearl, the a BackCourse ILS at JAX. Hardly got the gear up before putting it down again.

I was a Tactical Instructor at Shaw getting new Pilots a bit lower and faster. Also SCAR (Strike Control and Recce) where I taught how to shoot rockets.

We did have one Canadian Exchange Pilot in my Squadron however (came from the Snowbirds and went back to Command them). Great Pilot!

When I was in, we never exchanged pilots with the Navy or Marines. I did host a detachment of Marine RF4B s at Shaw. I was going to get a trap in the Back Seat, but alas, the Carrier was not available. I did CCAs at Maypearl (Docked Carrier) in Florida while at UPT (Undergraduate Pilot Training) at Moody AFB. We had a flight that we did a TACAN ARC at NAS Cecil, a CCA at Maypearl, the a BackCourse ILS at JAX. Hardly got the gear up before putting it down again.

I was a Tactical Instructor at Shaw getting new Pilots a bit lower and faster. Also SCAR (Strike Control and Recce) where I taught how to shoot rockets.

We did have one Canadian Exchange Pilot in my Squadron however (came from the Snowbirds and went back to Command them). Great Pilot!

When I was a student going through flight training in the early 70s, we had an Air Force 0-3 (Capt.) who was a good stick and a good guy to fly with. Later when I returned back to the training command we had two different exchange instructors from Venezuela, one of whom flew with their flight demonstration team, Los Aguilas (the Eagles). His English and ATC language skills weren't muy Bueno, but man that guy could sure speak 'airplane'.

It's a shame you never got to trap. It's an experience that never gets old (in both good and bad ways). But the real thrill is getting launched off the pointy end. Or, as a young Marine 1st Lt. described to me after his first trip to the boat, "It's like making love in a car wreck."

"Kesari" Movie says it all. Not much has changed since the 1800s. Absolute hubris to believe you can change the hearts and minds of a country where a large portion of the population believes the way it does. We did change Japan and Germany, but they were totally destroyed and lacked any means of any significant resistance. Not the same as our recent interventions. I used to disagree with the Libertarian view, but I have come around to it. We need to kick a$$ and get the heck out. Come back and do it again, but no long term stays, if necessary. The Afghani are generally Suni and very Fundamentalists. One Squadron of A-10s and a few Gun Ships would have allowed the Afghan Army to have a better showing, but they knew we were leaving and not suppling any support.

One Squadron of A-10s and a few Gun Ships would have allowed the Afghan Army to have a better showing
Well Sure, The US has 360+ A-10's still flying and a squadron would have turned the tide, but the suits were saying "get out" ASAP so the donkey and the guy that can't count how many rounds he left ended up winning.

Not my idea, but if you want to end war, make those who have a vested interest fight them.
Most people, over the entire planet, are no different than you.
That being said, I'm always impressed with engineering, machines and so forth.

Hey guys, I'm extremely interested (and opinionated) on what's going on in Afghanistan, including why we went there, why we are leaving, etc. But I'd like to avoid seeing this thread moved to the debate forum (which I have opinions on too :) ).

So as hard as it is for me, let's avoid current events, politics, etc. Just keep this thread about the incredible machinery the US military industrial complex churns out for our warfighters. I was really enjoying the discussion of the F-35s earlier.

Anybody have experience with ordinance? I had a CO who was high on it, and we always were blowing stuff up with C4 or crater charges or bangalores or whatever he could get his hands on. Homemade napalm haha (srsly). We'd tape C4 to trees all the time just to level them, not sure why. Arc of claymores to take out a bush on a range. That kind of stuff.

1629333638205.png

It is simply amazing that the B 52 is still going.

" For more than 60 years, B-52s have been the backbone of the strategic bomber force for the United States. The B-52 is capable of dropping or launching the widest array of weapons in the U.S. inventory. This includes gravity bombs, cluster bombs, precision guided missiles and joint direct attack munitions. Updated with modern technology, the B-52 is capable of delivering the full complement of joint developed weapons and will continue into the 21st century as an important element of our nation's defenses. The Air Force currently expects to operate B-52s through 2050. "

My uncle was one of the last guys trained on a B 47 and one of the firsts on the B 52.

The B-52 also had the ability to crab the gear so the aircraft could takeoff and land in a crab (crosswinds). We landed the RF4 in a crab and it just straightened out. I was training in a Sabre 65 and was crabbing on final when my other trainee said, you need to do Wing Low. Wing Low? I had no idea what he was talking about. I don't think a Buff Pilot would have either.

https://theaviationist.com/2016/05/05/b-52-wca-landing/

Hey guys, I'm extremely interested (and opinionated) on what's going on in Afghanistan, including why we went there, why we are leaving, etc. But I'd like to avoid seeing this thread moved to the debate forum (which I have opinions on too :) ).

So as hard as it is for me, let's avoid current events, politics, etc. Just keep this thread about the incredible machinery the US military industrial complex churns out for our warfighters. I was really enjoying the discussion of the F-35s earlier.

Anybody have experience with ordinance? I had a CO who was high on it, and we always were blowing stuff up with C4 or crater charges or bangalores or whatever he could get his hands on. Homemade napalm haha (srsly). We'd tape C4 to trees all the time just to level them, not sure why. Arc of claymores to take out a bush on a range. That kind of stuff.

View attachment 739529
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory. LOL :mug:

Back