Military Might

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Man I love these videos. Once, in a life far far away, I was in a fighting hole and right at sunrise some supersonic jet buzzed the treeline. I was keeping an eye out for snakes - we had one with us during the night. Then I saw a black streak overhead, then got hammered by the sound. Woof!-scared the crap out of me. I love the jets. Was at a college football game last year and two F-22's went over the stadium. They were horiz, then hit the jets and went vertical. What a rush. When I am reincarnated, I'm joining the navy and flying one :)

If you've got video or stories of military hardware, post here. Foreign (su-xx? , mits zero) or American. Old stuff (B-17, P-51) are cool too. Ships are awesome too. I thought I'd die in an amphib thing I had to rid in a few times- they are not watertight :(.

Here's a great F-35 video. Just super-wow.

Last edited:
Man I love these videos. Once, in a life far far away, I was in a fighting hole and right at sunrise some supersonic jet buzzed the treeline. I was keeping an eye out for snakes - we had one with use during the night. Then I saw a black streak overhead, then got hammered by the sound. Woof!-scared the crap out of me. I love the jets. Was at a college football game last year and two F-22's went over the stadium. They were horiz, then hit the jets and went vertical. What a rush. When I am reincarnated, I'm joining the navy and flying one :)

If you've got video or stories of military hardware, post here. Foreign (su-xx?) or American. Old stuff (B-17 P-63 zero's) are cool too.

Here's a great F-35 video. Just super-wow.

No stories but a video I like. Aerial ballet.

By today's video standards, combat camera footage from 1943-1944 may seem somewhat dull. I still find it compelling, its the real thing.
  • Lt. Col. Jack Bradley's squadron was ranked first in WWII with 701 confirmed enemies destroyed in aerial combat, of which 15 were attributed to Bradley, who ranked third overall in his squadron. For his service Lt. Col. Jack Bradley was awarded The Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star and Distinguished Flying Cross, in 1999 he was inducted into the American Combat Airmen's Hall of Fame.

https://texasarchive.org/library/in...radley_Collection,_no._2_-_Gun_Camera_Footage

I was at an air show years ago. There was a fly over of a Tomcat that went vertical in front of the crowd. A little later a B-1 did the same thing. The B-1 is huge compared to the fighter. I didn't expect that 200 ft to 10,000 feet straight up....

By today's video standards, combat camera footage from 1943-1944 may seem somewhat dull. I still find it compelling, its the real thing.
  • Lt. Col. Jack Bradley's squadron was ranked first in WWII with 701 confirmed enemies destroyed in aerial combat, of which 15 were attributed to Bradley, who ranked third overall in his squadron. For his service Lt. Col. Jack Bradley was awarded The Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star and Distinguished Flying Cross, in 1999 he was inducted into the American Combat Airmen's Hall of Fame.

https://texasarchive.org/library/in...radley_Collection,_no._2_-_Gun_Camera_Footage

One of my favorite WWII movie air combat scenes (well, it was not much combat, mostly sneak attack, but still pretty awesome). From the movie Pearl Harbor

not much but when i was a small kid hanging out with the WW2 vets at the C64 club...one of them was helping some people restore one of these, i remember having to really strech to get my hands in the hold to climb the back of it so i could perch on the back tail....watch the boys play fixing it from there....

Coolest thing I saw at an airshow was a P-51, A-10, and F-22 flying together.

The engineering marvels of military aircraft is so incredible, and proof that humans can solve pretty much any issue given the appropriate funding and resolve...

No videos, some good memories.
I was on the bridge of a CG Cutter off Cuba. The lookout reported an aircraft on the horizon. It was very quickly close overhead, we felt it more than saw it. The OOD asked the lookout what it was, the lookout replied "Gray"
Back in the eighties a cutter fired on a Colombian drug runner in the Caribbean, warning shots with the 3", disabling shots with the .50cal. That story and video made one of the national nighttime news shows. I was loading the cannon, and standing on deck with the machine gunner.

Coolest thing I saw at an airshow was a P-51, A-10, and F-22 flying together.

The engineering marvels of military aircraft is so incredible, and proof that humans can solve pretty much any issue given the appropriate funding and resolve...

Coincidentally, a military device I designed is getting tested with A10 Thunderbolts today. Just got off the phone with the ex-special-forces guy that's doing the testing with the Air NG pilots.

My wife and I visited her cousin in NC, and her husband was a head mechanic at the base working on Harrier jets. We were lucky enough to get a tour when they were practicing vertical landing/takeoff. I was in awe watching them come in from a few miles out, do the maneuver, and go out to do it again. I probably have a flip phone video of it...

There's an A10 squadron at Barnes ANG base and one day while competing in an R/C aircraft dogfighting contest a pair of T-Bolts did a really low and slow circle just above the host field in Sturbridge right while four of us were in the middle of a battle.

You could see the faces of the pilots quite clearly (the lead waved at us) and the noise was crazy loud they were so low. I was so captivated by the A10s I totally lost track of my fighter and it ended up in a friggin' tree at the far perimeter. It was fun getting that down. Totally worth it, though :D

Cheers!

There's an A10 squadron at Barnes ANG base and one day while competing in an R/C aircraft dogfighting contest a pair of T-Bolts did a really low and slow circle just above the host field in Sturbridge right while four of us were in the middle of a battle.

You could see the faces of the pilots quite clearly (the lead waved at us) and the noise was crazy loud they were so low. I was so captivated by the A10s I totally lost track of my fighter and it ended up in a friggin' tree at the far perimeter. It was fun getting that down. Totally worth it, though :D

Cheers!

I used to build those. I had a spitfire kit that I never built and kept in the closet for almost 30 years. Sent it to a nephew last month. Never flew them though, just built them. There was one company, can't remember, that sponsored and built huge RC's, many of them military replicas. VERY impressive.

A great source of old military footage is war movies. Often stock stuff is integrated with staged and models, but it's easy to tell the difference. I'm watching Hell Divers (1931) which includes plenty of aerial photography. There are impressive carrier videos, including landing and takeoff of biplanes and a dirigible.

I was working at home today and heard the sound of a very loud airplane going overhead. I thought it was flying low, but it turned out to be a huge military plane, what looked to me just like a B-52 stratofortress. It was yuuge, wide as the sky I swear. Probably heading to McDill AFB on the other side of the bay.

Anyway, here's some candy for you:

Very sad day here, as the Collings Foundation in Stow lost their B-17 "Nine o Nine" today during an excursion flight out of Bradley Intl in Hartford, along with at least 7 souls with at least another 7 injured. Looking at the crash site images it's a freakin' miracle anyone got out alive. So sorry for the families of the victims.

Growing up with movies and shows like "12 O'Clock High" and much later "The Memphis Bell" I was enamored with the Flying Fortress, and had an uncle that was a ball turret gunner in WWII (scary AF with one of the shortest life expectancies in the entire armed services). I've often thought about taking a ride in one (not cheap) but this event will probably keep me grounded...

Those B17 are pretty magnificent airplanes. I always wanted to get inside one. I hope the one that went down didn't have any joyriders in it - I see they were selling seats on them for people who wanted that experience.

Very sad also about the Nine O Nine. She was on the island a couple of weeks ago, wish I had taken off time to check it out along with 3 other WW2 vintage planes. Lots of articles and remembrances on a military vehicle forum I'm on.

On the subject of A-10s, I rented a run down place with some friends in the late 80's that had a view of them strafing Nomans land island, which they still did occasionally back then. The Gatling guns had an impressive report, like an low toned air ratchet you could feel as well as hear.

When Obama was here as President, Marine Ospreys would fly low nearly over my house on approach to airport as well as some sort of security patrols, usually just one at a time, but once there were 4 of them in a line, very impressive.

Very sad also about the Nine O Nine. She was on the island a couple of weeks ago, wish I had taken off time to check it out along with 3 other WW2 vintage planes. Lots of articles and remembrances on a military vehicle forum I'm on.

On the subject of A-10s, I rented a run down place with some friends in the late 80's that had a view of them strafing Nomans land island, which they still did occasionally back then. The Gatling guns had an impressive report, like an low toned air ratchet you could feel as well as hear.

When Obama was here as President, Marine Ospreys would fly low nearly over my house on approach to airport as well as some sort of security patrols, usually just one at a time, but once there were 4 of them in a line, very impressive.

I actually had a couple of A10-s firing their weapons designator lasers at me a couple of months ago, on Barry M Goldwater bombing range in southern AZ. They flew over a few times at 10k feet, then did a low pass right over my head (see below). Pretty cool. I was testing a new device and they were helping.

full

I actually had a couple of A10-s firing their weapons designator lasers at me a couple of months ago, on Barry M Goldwater bombing range in southern AZ. They flew over a few times at 10k feet, then did a low pass right over my head (see below). Pretty cool. I was testing a new device and they were helping.

full

I wondered why you went to Gila Bend, on purpose... ;)

He had some pretty cool video of his Osprey flying over the Grand Canyon area but I have to ask him if I can share it first.

"It ain't over 'til it's over, friend" :D
Captivating presentation of a cool story. He apparently took that as a calling and went on to good things.

I think any techie dweeb wants to believe their sim time would get them safely back on the ground :)

Cheers!

Back