Dark Mild Mild Mannered Ale (AG) (E) UK/US

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I've got a question. I'm going to brew this up pretty soon, but I won't have room in the kegerator for a while. I've read that this brew is best at about a month, but does it really begin to get worse after longer than that? This is kinda a newb question, but should I pull say a cream ale out of the kegerator to put this one on tap.

This is what I'll have on tap

On tap - cream ale and wheat
kegged - Ipa and Mild

which do you think would be better to pull out of the kegerator (which one would age better), the cream or the wheat?

Thanks,
Jacob

So I've got a question. I'm going to brew this up pretty soon, but I won't have room in the kegerator for a while. I've read that this brew is best at about a month, but does it really begin to get worse after longer than that? Jacob

I've had this brew in bottles for months, some close to a year and have never lost a bottle ( I always save some of each batch for later comparisons). I've never lost a beer to shelf life and some are approaching two years in the bottle. I'm told this is primarily a function of your sanitation technique which I do strive to maintain.

Anyway, for whatever reason, this hasn't been an issue for me with this brew and I've made more of this than any other beer.

I've had this brew in bottles for months, some close to a year and have never lost a bottle ( I always save some of each batch for later comparisons). I've never lost a beer to shelf life and some are approaching two years in the bottle. I'm told this is primarily a function of your sanitation technique which I do strive to maintain.

Anyway, for whatever reason, this hasn't been an issue for me with this brew and I've made more of this than any other beer.

Sorry, I should have worded that better. I'm not worried about my beer going bad due to infection, but more about the fact that it's such as small beer and it won't age well. Have you noticed a big difference in flavor from when it's young to old? Does it taste better at either of those?

Thanks for the reply,
Jacob

Have you noticed a big difference in flavor from when it's young to old? Does it taste better at either of those?

Thanks for the reply,
Jacob

I like the beer more now but I don't think that's from the brew getting better. The difference from start to finish isn't noticeable in my opinion. That's not to say there isn't a change, just that what change there is doesn't make a significant difference to me. Finishing up the tail end of one batch moving into the start of another isn't dramatic... in my humble opinion.

Just finished brewing this. It's in the fermenter and should be bubbling soon.

I managed to keep my mash temp at 157F for the duration so was very happy with that. However, my OG turned out to be 1.033. Was aiming for 1.036 or better so I'm a little disappointed that the efficiency was only 60%. In a bit of denial over that. Still, looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Also my first time using dry yeast - this is only my ninth brew to date in my very young brewing career, if I can call it that.

Will update on how it turns out. Thanks for the recipe.

I made this 2-3 weeks ago but mashed in too high due to changing equipment at the last minute. Ended up finishing out at 1.020.....way too high for this recipe. I'm going to have to make it again with the equipment dialed in properly.

I made this 2-3 weeks ago but mashed in too high due to changing equipment at the last minute. Ended up finishing out at 1.020.....way too high for this recipe. I'm going to have to make it again with the equipment dialed in properly.

Yeah, I came in a bit too high, aroud 159*-160* or so, but I'm not too worried about it. How high was your mash?

Mine was more like 164-165F. I was able to get it down into the right range by adding some cool water, but it was still fairly high for long enough that I think it had a detrimental impact.

I cooked this up today. Looking forward to enjoying the fruits of my endeavors in a 2 weeks. Ended up pitching on Wyeast London ESB, then going to throw an ESB on top of it.

just made this a few weeks ago. It was my first mild i have ever made. It is very good and goes down too easy. lol Don't let the low alcohol fool you. This is a easy drinkeing beer and will catch up to you in no time. I will be makeing this again. Thanks for the recipe :mug:

Well, I kegged this last night after 2.5 weeks in the primary. It started at 1.036 and finished at 1.016 for a whopping 2.6% abv lol. What I want to know is how the OP got his down to 1.009!

mine finished at 1.007. I did a extract with steeping grains. I do PMs but with a grain bill this low I decided to do a extract (haven't gone all grain yet)

Wow, that's kinda high. I was expecting a high FG due to the 158* mash, but 1.016 is a tad bit higher than I typically like my beers.

Yeah well I actually overshot 158 initially, and once you get up into that range the mash converts really fast so you don't have much time to adjust. My advice is, if you're going to miss your mash temp on this beer, err on the low side.

My fifth batch of Mild Mannered Ale is chilling as I type. Thanks Orfy for a fantastic (and forgiving) recipe.
:mug:

What do you guys think of this recipe brewed with mild malt? It's what I've got and I was thinking I could substitute it for the marris otter... I mean, isn't this what mild malt is used for???

I just used this recipe to get back into brewing and show a couple buddies the process. They are really into it. My OG was a little low...only 1.032. What do you think my target FG should be? Now that I think back I wish I woulda added just a tad of DME to boost it to where it should be...think it'll still be ok?

I brewed up 5 gallons on Saturday with the following grain bill: 6.6lb MO 1.6lb Crystal 60 (US), 6oz Chocolate (US - SRM 325). Mashed right around 149-150 in 3.5 gals, single infusion batch sparge w 3.5 gals, only collected just over 5. Added 1/2 gal water, boiled and ended up with 4.9 gallons @ 1.044. A little high on the gravity. Pitched Notty and she's bubblin', hopefully finishes out low.

This was super popular at a halloween party last night. Exceedingly drinkable, and a great way to turn on people to porters and stouts. I was honestly surprised at how many people kept refilling with this and not the blond I had there as well (though that too was a hit). Great stuff!

My choices seem to be Crystal 50 (British) or Crystal 75. Which would be the better sub for the Crystal 60?

Very good recipe here. I just did it grain to glass in 13 days and tastes great. I have issues following recipes, but I remained pretty close to this one. Just a little more fuggle love...

Planning on brewing this next weekend for my 7th brew (still a beginner at this). I have a yeast question. I have a pack of the Nottingham Yeast, but I also have a smacked pack of Wyeast 1469 PC W Yorkshire Ale yeast in the fridge from a failed brewing session last week (thermometer broke in wort :( )

Here are the stats on the Wyeast:
Attenuation 67-71%
Alc. Tolerance 9%
Flocculation high
Temperature Range 64-72°F (18-22°C)

I'll probably be fermenting with a temp in the low to mid 60's.

I'd like to put the smacked pack to use, so I was thinking that I'd take it out of the fridge and make a starter to make sure it's still up to the task.

Does anyone think that this is a bad idea? Is this yeast a suitable alternative to the Nottingham?

FYI-- some of us are brewing this as is (no subs, same mash temps, yeast etc) and entering in the HBT competition coming up. A "mini-Mild comp".
feel free to join in the fun! see the hbt comp thread.
cheers,
Wendy

I might be down for entering it, I just hope I have enough left to bottle 3 up to enter! 10 gallons goes fast around here! I might need to make another 10 gallons "just in case".

FYI-- some of us are brewing this as is (no subs, same mash temps, yeast etc) and entering in the HBT competition coming up.
Tempting idea, but this is a long thread (and I'm too lazy to read the whole thing :).)

Is the "as is" recipe the one in the OP, or have there been revision along the way that have not been updated into the originial?

use the one in the OP (US imperial i think). you need to make adjustments for your system's efficiency and to get round numbers.

Back