Might have to buy some BMC tonight...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomich

Reaction score
I just looked at my "discretionary funds" balance and realized I didn't have as much as I thought. I might have to get some BMC on the way home tonight instead of my usual selection of 5$ bottles.

I'm secure enough to admit that I can and will drink BMC every now and then under certain conditions. Being low on funds qualifies for me. Since I'm going out tonight, I'd rather spend the money out at the bar.

I'll be sure to plan better next year and have plenty of HB available. A buddy was in town from the military and assisted me in polishing off a decent quantify of my homebrew the weekend before last. Otherwise, I wouldn't have to be slumming tonight.

Pick up some Yuengling. Pretty decent (well, compared to the others - it has more taste and you get a hint of hops) for the price. That's my stand-by cheap beer!

I've got a fridge full of big, thick beers, but I wanted something a little lighter and crisper, so I picked some up tonight.

I had a Miller Lite with lunch today. I actually like it a lot and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I think the key is to not compare BMC to homebrew or microbrews. They're so different it's like comparing apples and oranges.

I ended up at a bar with a smaller than normal selection the other evening. I had a Troeg's Sunshine Pils or two or three and another local micro or two and then I said, "what the hell! why not try the 'all malt' michelob lager".

It wasn't bad... I'll admit it! I only had one, but it was pleasing at that moment. It might have been that I was approaching buzzland too, but I don't think thats the reason.

The same bar has .50 PBR most days. Every now and then I'll have one... To me it tastes better than Bud or Miller...

PBR is decent and I can get 72oz(6-pack equivalent) for ~$4. Throw in a 40oz Steel Reserve and the tab is still under $6, but the buzz is worth much more.

A quart of Miller High Life is also about $1.60, 32oz Old Milwaukee is ~1.30, and Country Club malt liquor is ~1.70. :D

The good, good stuff at the liquor store is $4 per 11oz and up. :(

Brew Runner said:
PBR is decent and I can get 72oz(6-pack equivalent) for ~$4. Throw in a 40oz Steel Reserve and the tab is still under $6, but the buzz is worth much more.

A quart of Miller High Life is also about $1.60, 32oz Old Milwaukee is ~1.30, and Country Club malt liquor is ~1.70. :D

The good, good stuff at the liquor store is $4 per 11oz and up. :(
PBR is good stuff, you can taste a little hops. An interesting note about the Steel Reserve, I was on Fremont Street in Las Vegas a couple of years ago and it was hot, so I ducked into the liquor store and got a tall boy of Steel Reserve. Went outside on the sidewalk and cracked the can. A homeless guy came up to me and said that you could drink BMC on the street, but if the cops see you drinking Steel Reserve they will hassle you. They consider Steel Reserve to be "liquid crack" and if you are drinking it you are just getting yoursef tuned up for no good to come. I looked around and all the derelects were drinking BMC.:drunk:
AP

Well yeah you're asking for trouble, did you look at the abv on the Steel 211? 8.1% :cross: The trick if you want to go (try) walking around is to get a 24oz can of BMC, drink that, then get a 24oz of Steel and pour that into the BMC can. :p

As far as "liquid crack", I think Cisco beats out Steel 211 by a large margin. I think Night Train Express is easier to drink, but MD 20/20 is actually good in some of the fruit flavors.
On a side note, I got a 24pk of PBR for $9.99 today. 2.25 gallons, baby!:ban:

PeteOz77 said:
HAHAHA, Silly Aussie!

(I knew because I read the Glossary)

BMC=Mass marketed, yellow fizzy weak piss..

USA BMC=AUD VCT (VB, Carlton, Toohey's)

I've heard of the VRD, the VCR and the VFL but not heard of the VDT. You blokes in Canberra will do anything for an acromyn !!

Michelob Ultra is being released in Australia now - is it any good at all or more cat's piss ?

On a side note, I got a 24pk of PBR for $9.99 today. 2.25 gallons, baby!

Are you blokes paying $10 for a slab of beer ?

Yea, here in sunny SoCal you can find Pabst in 24 and 30 paks for 10 bucks, depending on which discount drugstore is having a sale that week. 10 bucks is the starting price, you have to figure 8% for the governator and then the recycle deposit on the can/bottles. Still a good deal. The OL likes the Pabst Genuine Draft in cans, I prefer the plain old Blue Ribbon. I think I have mentioned before that I do not like beer snobs.
AP

i'll drink miller lite when i'm out watching football for 6+ hrs on a sunday because otherwise i get too wasted to be able to comment on the finer points of the game.

on a point of principle, i'll drink bud lite or whatever if the bar has a $1 special. you can't beat a respectable buzz for $10.

I'll probably pick up a 12 pack of High Life for the football games tomorrow. If you do get Yuengling make sure you buy it in cans. They use green bottles and it's usually skunked from crappy storage.

cd2448 said:
on a point of principle, i'll drink bud lite or whatever if the bar has a $1 special. you can't beat a respectable buzz for $10.
Did that once and will never do it again. Bud/Bud Lite does something funky to my insides.

Fatgodzilla said:
Michelob Ultra is being released in Australia now - is it any good at all or more cat's piss ?

I wouldn't even call it cat piss. BL, ML, etc. is cat piss. Mic ultra is yellow fizzy water. No taste at all.

The trick to getting Yuengling is to buy it in 12/24 packs that doesn't let light in.

Steel Reserve 211 lead to a rather heated and slightly physical debate about 'nakes (snakes) that is still contested by it's participants. :drunk:

Miller MGD is my favorite of BMC.

There is still something beautiful about a can of PBR that is holding right at freezing on a hot day working around the house. It has gotten me through some home renovation projects... pint glasses break too easy when I realize how stupid I am and throw it at whatever project I am currently screwing up!

And at the local taco shack... beer and tacos are simply heaven. Then go home and maybe have a good one. or two.

Salud!

when you're not looking to spend much money you can't go wrong with Michelob Amber Bock. Not as good as the better micros or so-called craft brews, but certainly a step above BMC. Yes I know it is a Bud product, but to me it has to be yellow and flavorless to be called BMC because I have no problem with the larger breweries only the products they generally produce.

Well, I picked up some Coors Light that night. That was my go-to-beer before getting serious about my choices.

The first couple cans were difficult to drink, I can't really figure out how I used to consider that beer back in the day. But I did finish the six pack. Eventually.

This stuff aint so bad for outside activities like tubing or volleyball but just sitting inside relaxing, this didn't go too well.

Back