Midwest/Southern Beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummerguysteve

Reaction score
I just got back to Seattle from a business trip to NW Kentucky. I had heard the food is fantastic, and was recommended a place for hot wings and alligator. My first night I stopped in this small restaurant I heard of, and ordered the wings. Turned the menu over and saw.. Bud, Bud Light, Michelob Light.

Asked the waitress what was on tap and was told... Bud, Bud Light, Michelob Light...

Asked what was in bottles and was told Bud, Bud Light, Michelob Light, and "Dark Something Bock"... (No kidding, she actually said "Something")

Well the "Dark Something Bock" sounded interesting, but didn't sound very popular (hence "something"). I was handed a bottle of Michelob Amber Bock. Seriously, still relatively flavorless, not "Dark", but amber, and still made by a major brewery.

I guess I'm just spoiled from growing up in Seattle, but I just assumed that every bar in the world had 5-10 micro-brews on tap. The grocery store didn't have anything but BMCs either! Is this really what some of you have to suffer through, or was I just in a very unfortunate part of the country?

Welcome to America.

Its not much better here in Oklahoma unless you go to a place known for having a selection.

It's really a shame. I've always wondered why I see comments from people about others being nervous to try a homebrew. Everyone I've met here in Seattle is always very glad to try a homebrew; I think it's seen as a small extension to microbrews.

Well, good luck to you, and anyone else who has to seek out microbrews.

Sadly, the south is Bud Light country. Very few bars carry more than the standard, however there is some light in that tunnel - many of the grocery stores are expanding their selection, a few of the liquor stores have a decent selection, and there are enough people asking for these beers that the selections slowly grow, not shrink.

so while we are still 10 years (or more) behind...we will get there eventually. (of course, in 10 years you'll be somewhere far advanced to where we will be...)

I'm not sure if this carries over to homebrew. I don't doubt that Southern states (or perhaps Red states in general) have weaker bars and microbreweries, but they have plenty of experience making homemade alcohol.

Sorry you did not have a memorable meal here in Kentucky. You say NW Kentucky - Do you mean the KY part of greater Cincinnati? Kentucky is kind of a East-West state but when people say 'Northern Kentucky', they usually mean across the Ohio River from Cincy.

Here in Louisville, most indy restaurants, and to a lesser extent the chains, will have a decent selection of micros and locals. We have a small handfull of micros here. Depending on where you were, you could have run into a BMC kind of beer list. If that's the case, check the bourbon list!

I did have some great whisky and....er... Corn beverage. The food was great too. I was on the Ohio about 45-60 minutes from Evansville. Maybe that's considered western ky. I don't mean to make it sound unpleasant. Great food and great people, the beer selection just really caught me by surprise.

Some counties in NW KY are dry. I went to Mammoth Caves packing booze due to its location in a dry spot.

Luckily the county I was in was not dry! I was really amazed at the drive-through liquor store. I never imagined I'd see such a sight. It's hard to believe you could have a dry county, and a drive-through liquor store in the same state.

Next time I'll have to try a little harder to seek out microbrews. Some local KY brews really would have made the trip perfect.

Sir please do not mix Mid West with the South that was rude and I feel insulted by it.
And I think what you really mean is not the MW or the South, but the Bible Belt. They do have the worst beer and beer laws in the world, no doubt about it. But that comes from their culture and religion, nothing you can do about it.

Sorry to insult. Being from the far NW of the USA I'm honestly not sure where the borders are between midwest, and south. In KY they considered themselves southerners. On a map it didn't look all that far south to me.

I think it tends to creep outside the bible belt as well. I grew up in a small town in northern Illinois. West of Chicago and south of Madison, WI. When I visit my parents there, I still can't find decent beer in town. BMC is your only choice and your lucky if you can find it on tap. It's usually just in a freaking can and yes, this is at the bars. Things are getting better, or atleast I've learned to buy the beer I intend to drink in the larger cities surrounded my home town before I make it home. Madison, Chicago and Milwaukee all have fantastic beer selections but as soon as you get into the sticks of the midwest it is certainly BMC or nothing.

A buddy of mine lives in/near Murray, KY. He claims the county he is in is a "moist" county. Meaning you can drink 1-2 beers with dinner but that is it. He has to drive across the county line to buy his beer but from what I hear, he gets ahold of some pretty decent beers in that part of the state.

Well, at least KY has some of the cheapest beer prices around, at least in Northern KY vs. Ohio :)

You got to do your homework. Beer Advocate has a travel guide. Also do a web search for local brew clubs. They usually have info where to get the best beer locally.

Latest posts

Back