middle of an all grain batch... questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennisim

Reaction score
Working on my breakfast stout (Bacon maple oatmeal): first all grain brew
So I used brewsmith to calculate how much water I needed for my set up (10gal igloo cooler + Keggle)
I ended up 10' too low and ended up adding about 2 quarts of water to my mash (Although I am unsure since I filled with a teapot to put it on my stove)

Should I now adjust something in brewsmith? Or do I just collect my wort (before sparging) and subtract that from my boil volume to calculate how much I need to sparge with?

Thanks ! I have about 45 minutes before that step so I appreciate the help.

-Matt

Thank you very much for the quick response! I waited 25 minutes and somehow my mash dropped to 146 again (cold outside) so now adding more boiling water to get it back up to temp. Fortunately I have iodine. This should not affect my final recipe because I will still end up with the same final volume- correct?

Bacon maple oatmeal? Sounds interesting. Where are you getting the bacon flavor from?

"BACON MAPLE OATMEAL BREAKFAST STOUT -- NOW WITH REAL BACON!"

hehe

I plan on cooking 4 lbs of bacon in the oven, then soaking all the grease up that I can and dry-hogging in a grain bag for 4-5 days before bottling (testing the taste).

So I'm at 90min mash I think now (temp keeps dropping) - I am using a few drops of iodophore (small as I can dripping from a spoon) + wort and its still staying the same color - no change. The wort had dropped down a few more times and I proceeded to warm up some the runnings on the stove and dump it back in since I didn't want to keep adding water. How much longer should I mash for? Until runnings change iodophore color?

Back