Michael's Folly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewNoob2010

Reaction score
I was all set to brew my second batch today, so my friend, Mike, wanted to come over and help me brew.
I brewed a Franziskaner Hefe clone from a recipe I got online, modified slightly due to lack of availability of certain hops at my local beermaker's pantry.
Upon boiling the wort I added Malto-dextrin, liquid wheat malt extract and 1 oz of Hallertau hops.
Mike mistakenly threw in 1/4 oz each of Perle hops and Tettnang hops which were supposed to be added at the 45 minute mark.
I also added the Perle and Tettnang hops at the 45 minute mark as the recipe directed. Certainly I intend to follow this batch through and see how it turns out, but Michael's Folly Wheat Beer is about a month away from bottling, so I was wondering if anyone would care to speculate how this might influence the brew.

So slightly more bitter you probably won't notice. You would have actually been closer to the intended bitterness had you not added the additional hops at 45 minutes. No big deal though. It will turn out fine if that's your biggest problem.

IMO, that 45 min addition is no different than a 60. I've read that hop acids are pretty much isomerized after a half hour or so. No worries.

Latest posts

Back