Mice in brewhouse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottG58

Reaction score
I brewed a Russian Imperial Stout in January. It has been aging in my basement until last night when I bottled.
The problem is, about a month ago I started seeing mouse crap around the beer stuff in the basement. The little nasties even left mouse crap on the t-shirt I had covering the carboy. There was no sign that they nawed at the stopper.

I store my empty bottles down there next to the carboy. Now, I'm freaking thinking one of the little nasties left me a mouse t@rd in a bottle that I will find at the bottom of a glass of Russian Imperial Stout.

I soaked bottles in PBW and scrubbed with a brush. I soaked in star san.

As irrational as it sounds, just knowing that mouse poop may be present in this beer on a molecular level, grosses me out. This may be the first beer to be ruined on a crazy obsessive compulsive level. Nasty, filthy, greasy, vermin.

Look at it this way, every batch of beer we make probably has some small percentage of mouse droppings in it, along with the possible bug bits. Just think about how the grain is produced, stored, transported, etc...

They get into everything. I have that problem in my garage. My wife leaves bird seed laying around and it draws them in like flies. I find crap everywhere.

I've never seen one in my house, but 2-days ago I found a dead one inside my furnace while I was cleaning it. I have no idea how he got in there.

I'm not sure that helps. It is irrational and I know it. I am very close to throwing all of my bottles out. (Even the bottles with the stout in them).

I appreciate your attempt to talk me in off the ledge, however.

It will be alright. Mice have been around breweries and brew supplies for ever. If you rinsed the bottles before you filled them they shouldn't have any turds in them. I have some mice in my basement as of recent also. It doesn't end up in the brew because ya know we clean the surfaces and bottles etc. Enjoy that stout:mug:

So long as you clean/sanitize the bottles before filling you should be ok. Also, if they are contaminated you will probably see an infection before you drink one.

Set some traps or a good mouser, the grains, etc will attract them. They are slippery jerks and can get into small places, you will notice they are worse now that it is getting colder. They are a hazard of the hobby. Just be sure to sweep up any dropped grains if you can and do not worry too much.

Where there is a food source there are mice. Try and get rid of there food source and there will be no reason for them to be around.
There not there just because they want to aggravate you, there present because there's munchies.
Seal your dog food, cat food, bird seed ect. in Tupperware containers and they will go next door where the pickins are easier.

Open a few bottles and see if there is any mouse poo. If not, happy drinking!

Given that you soaked in pbw, used a brush, then sanitized...I think you're OK. :) I ate at a diner this morning which I'm sure had lower standards...

Time for a brew Kat!

I second the brew cat. I'm a carpenter with piles and pile of lumber. The mice would move in and crap on everything. I have two cats now and the only time I see mice is after the carnage. Yesterday I found a dead mole on my second floor. Both my cats were feral before I got them so they knew how to mouse.

I appreciate your attempt to talk me in off the ledge, however.

MOD EDIT: Namecalling

You think any/every commercial brewery (as well as every restaurant, farm operation, cannery, processing plant) doesn't have (or had at one point) mice/rats in it?

Where there is food, there is mice and rats.

My cat hangs out more than ever in the basement now that we got a dog (he's not allowed down there.) We had a mouse problem a couple years back. Finally tally: Simon the Cat - 7 mice. Seth's traps - 6 mice.

I was so happy my fat cat was finally pulling his weight around here. Every once in a while he'll catch another intruder. Keeps the riff raff to a minimum.

It is a well known fact that I just made up that the roast in imperial stouts breaks up any rodent feces it comes into contact with into alcohol and water. I am really surprised you didnt know that.

They always move in during the fall. I started hearing them in the wall, could find where they entered. I suspected behind a cement porch. I filled a 5 gallon bucket halfway with water, floated a couple of handfuls of birdseed, a propped a scrap of wood as a ramp from the ground to the top. I placed it next to the porch and checked it daily. After 3 days I tallied 15 mice and 3 chipmunks, and no more noises in the walls. Best mousetrap I've ever used.

They always move in during the fall. I started hearing them in the wall, could find where they entered. I suspected behind a cement porch. I filled a 5 gallon bucket halfway with water, floated a couple of handfuls of birdseed, a propped a scrap of wood as a ramp from the ground to the top. I placed it next to the porch and checked it daily. After 3 days I tallied 15 mice and 3 chipmunks, and no more noises in the walls. Best mousetrap I've ever used.

Talk about a heck of an infestation. I have the annual fall move in and set a trap (baited with part of a peanut butter cup, best bait ever) an di have gotten 3 already. I cannot imagine >15 in a day. Wait. This is outside? I would at least keep my trap on the inside.

My cat earns her food, but I think the dog is more the one who will track those little rats down. The cat has to see or hear them, the dog can smell their tracks days after they have been there. They can't hide from the dog. I put a little dog hair in each brew, sometimes it needs more dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, awakening this old thread. I keep all my brewing gear on the garage. Unused grain is vacuum sealed and put in the freezer but the gear is mostly in boxes and/or large garbage bags on shelves in the garage. The other day I noticed some mouse droppings on the floor. On closer examination there's friggen droppings everywhere. I even found two dead mice in non-beer related buckets; climbed, or fell, in and couldn't get out. I've just spent the past teo days sweeping. vacuuming, and then mopping ith a bleach solution. All my brew gear seems to be untouched EXCEPT my Barley Crusher grain mill - mouse turds throughout!! So how the hell do I clean and sanitize it? Is it even possible? I know you're not supposed to get them wet unless you have an air compressor and blow them dry. I don't have one.
Suggestions?

Oh, and by the way, I have two cats. They're both pretty good hunters as they regularly bring me home gophers, lizards, and an occasional bird. They rarely hang out in the garage though. I need to change that.

edit: After writing this I went back out to the garage and pulled the grain mill out if the box only to find this. I hope you gorged yourself to death you bastard.

20180610_115312.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, awakening this old thread. I keep all my brewing gear on the garage. Unused grain is vacuum sealed and put in the freezer but the gear is mostly in boxes and/or large garbage bags on shelves in the garage. The other day I noticed some mouse droppings on the floor. On closer examination there's friggen droppings everywhere. I even found two dead mice in non-beer related buckets; climbed, or fell, in and couldn't get out. I've just spent the past teo days sweeping. vacuuming, and then mopping ith a bleach solution. All my brew gear seems to be untouched EXCEPT my Barley Crusher grain mill - mouse turds throughout!! So how the hell do I clean and sanitize it? Is it even possible? I know you're not supposed to get them wet unless you have an air compressor and blow them dry. I don't have one.
Suggestions?

Oh, and by the way, I have two cats. They're both pretty good hunters as they regularly bring me home gophers, lizards, and an occasional bird. They rarely hang out in the garage though. I need to change that.

edit: After writing this I went back out to the garage and pulled the grain mill out if the box only to find this. I hope you gorged yourself to death you bastard.

20180610_115312.jpg
I've never owned a roller mill, so my advice may be worthless. I have long experience with all sorts of machinery, however.

From looking at photos, I don't see anything that would be harmed by a one-time cleaning. If it were mine, I'd remove the wooden parts, scrub the metal parts with dish soap and a toothbrush, and rinse with a hose nozzle. There's no reason to sanitize a mill, but I'll bet you would really like to be rid of mouse muffins, hair, and such. If you pick a warm sunny day, shake off as much water as possible, and let it dry in the sun you should be fine. Clean and dry the wood, reassemble, and store in a mouseproof tote.

If your mill has bronze bushings, a drop or two of light oil on each wouldn't hurt. If sealed bearings, just don't direct a high pressure stream at the seals.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Ugh. That's pretty rude right there.
Just to get the spectre of that out of my head I'd be compelled to totally break down the mill into constituent pieces and give everything a soapy scrub. Dried immediately and then a half pound of random grain run through it to get the last molecules of water out would let me sleep at night...

Cheers!

Mice are a regular problem in my brew shop in the country. I keep my grains in sealed mouse proof buckets and have traps EVERYWHERE!
After using my grainmill I use the shopvac. This seems to keep the little buggers at bay! When I do have a problem I bleach the crap out of everything. I think a cat is a great idea. Just protect your supplies and equipment as best you can.
In my view good sanitation and overall cleanliness goes a very long way!

Thanks for the replies. I ended up taking it apart and soaking everything in soapy water, and scrubbing it with a small brush. I then soaked the parts in a mix of bleach and water for 5 minutes. After that I sprayed everything with the garden hose to remove any bleach. Dried with a towel, and hit all parts with canned air. It's a warm sunny day here so I left it in the sun and used more canned air every few minutes, but saw no trace of any additional water escaping. No unused tote right now so it's sitting in the house for now. I scattered 4 mouse traps around the garage, baited with peanut butter. I found where the mice were coming in - the gasket on the bottom of the garage door was about 2 inches too short which is like leaving the door open for a mouse. I replaced that and it has a good seal now. Lesson learned.

I sometimes use my wifes hair dryer when I don't want to plug in the compressor to dry equipment. I also use it to heat stickers/labels to help with removal.

Go to YouTube...there are a ton of videos on how to capture mice. Very effective is the use of BEER in a bucket...it draws them to it. They fall in and can't get out.
I found a mummified mouse in a bottling bucket that was in the garage. Needless to say the bucket went to the dump.

I recently bought a used Jeep. The ac fan had a terrific vibration at higher speeds, shook the whole car. Yep, sure enough. Dead mouse inside the fan, throwing it out of balance. Little devils get everywhere! It was so desiccated it had no smell at all, thank goodness.

Go to YouTube...there are a ton of videos on how to capture mice. Very effective is the use of BEER in a bucket...it draws them to it. They fall in and can't get out.

I've definitely had a rat climb out of a home depot bucket that was half-full of water. And he was not in the best of health, either. So in my experience, I would not trust that.

I've definitely had a rat climb out of a home depot bucket that was half-full of water. And he was not in the best of health, either. So in my experience, I would not trust that.
Beer has an added benefit that water lacks: alchohol. Its absorbed transdermally as well as ingested. Mouse will drown from alcohol toxicity.

I did this in my garage, only I filled the bucket up too high. Damn rat got out 3 times to pee before he finally drown.

Beer has an added benefit that water lacks: alchohol. Its absorbed transdermally as well as ingested. Mouse will drown from alcohol toxicity.

I did this in my garage, only I filled the bucket up too high. Damn rat got out 3 times to pee before he finally drown.

hahahaha!!!!!!!!! Why can't I like more than once? Damn the system!

Back