Mezcla Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatcapt

Reaction score
My current curiosity is directed toward neomexicanas hops. Hard to find a lot of information on particular varieties and even harder to find varieties available for home brewers. From my research it appears that Medusa is the most available (that means that a VERY limited amount are sold through the typical Ebrewshops). San Juan Ruby Red gets some on line discussion but it is even harder to find than Medusa. Stumbled on a hop called Mezcla (1, 2 and 3) that is being sold at $5.00/oz (WOW) by Amilia Hops on line. The producer claims this is a neomexicanas variety that they have been working on isolating and growing for the last few years and are now selling in limited quantities.

So, I fell for the "limited availability" pitch and brought a couple of oz (did I mention it cost $5.00 an oz!!!).

Has anyone on here ever brewed with this stuff before? What should I expect? Did I just trade my cow for the homebrew version of "magic beans?"

Sometimes I wonder if it is all magic beans. How can you really know? I say buy it and see if it seems real to you if you can afford it. There's no way to really know for sure without some kind of genetic testing.

Back