Mexican hot chocolate stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
Trying to decide what to do for national homebrewing day. I figured I'd get down to my Hispanic roots for inspiration. It came down to either a pale ale with some lime zest aged in a tequila barrel with agave as priming sugar or Mexican hot chocolate.
But since I don't have a used tequila barrel, I figured I'd make a sweet milk stout with cinnamon and chili powder.

I'll probably stick to a basic stout recipe. Something like:
75-80% Pale 2 row
8-10% crystal
And equal parts roasted barley, flaked barley and chocolate malt.
Lactose sugar to taste.
I think I'll do 60 min bittering, maybe use up the magnum I have before it goes bad.

To get the cinnamon chocolate chili flavor, should I add cinnamon sticks and a pinch of chili powder to the boil then secondary over some cocoa nibs?

Any advise on yeast? So far I've only used US 05
Thanks and cheers!

I played this game a while back with a small grain batch. Made a gallon of mexican chocolate porter. Used some trader joe's mexican chocolate in the boil and I use SA 05 and I could taste the chocolate but not so much on the pepper. Think a bit of chili would have really added to it but over all it was pretty tasty. Not so sure on the stout but what harm could it do

You should add this. I was just thinking about adding it to a future stout. I used to drink this stuff in milk all the time and make Mexican hot chocolate.

abuelita.jpg

You should add this. I was just thinking about adding it to a future stout. I used to drink this stuff in milk all the time and make Mexican hot chocolate.

Yeah that stuff was the inspiration. I was trying to see if I could recreate the flavor without actually using any, but I could always try both ways.

Latest posts

Back