Methods of Temperature Control For Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcrae

Reaction score
I am looking at getting into brewing and am trying to source out equipment. I was wondering what kind of options are out there for temperature control during fermentation. Obviously there is refrigeration, but I have seen people use insulated bags.

Just curious what kind of method people are using for this, since it seems like strong temperature fluctuation could be an easy way to ruin a batch. Thanks for the help, looking forward to the replies!

Chest freezer with inkbird controller. Set it and forget. Change temps with the push of a button.

All kinds of options out there. Depends on how much room you have, and how much you want to spend.

I'm definitely trying to find methods that don't require electric refrigeration. Or if there are cheaper options for refrigeration I'm open to that as well.

My overall budget for my entire set up to between 100 and 200

I'm definitely trying to find methods that don't require electric refrigeration. Or if there are cheaper options for refrigeration I'm open to that as well.

My overall budget for my entire set up to between 100 and 200

100-200 for fermentation temperature control only or for all your brewing needs?

I built a fermentation chamber out of plywood, foam insulation, 2x4s, some hinges etc, and a mini fridge. It was under $200 total.

Swamp cooler. A storage container, water and ice bottles. Less than $25

You can put the fermenter in a tub of water with ice bottles, changing out the bottles every day or so.
A wet towel wrapped around the fermenter with a fan blowing on it will lower temps.
I've seen bags that you put ice packs in that keep the fermenter cool.
https://www.cool-brewing.com/

The small freezers were just on sale at the box stores over the holidays. You could have bought a 6.5 cu.ft and an inkbird for $200.

I use a swamp cooler; a 20 gallon tub from Walmart. I put my fermenter in it and fill about 2/3 rds full with water. The water acts as a heat sink and will keep the wort/beer at a constant temp and prevent run-away temps from fermentation.

For Belgians and Bretts, I use a fish tank heater in the water to heat the wort/beer. Pretty simple. If you go this route, make sure the heater has the temp range you want. Some don't.

I don't cool my wort, but you can by rotating iced bottles of water in the water in the bucket. I brew in the basement and at the height of summer my temps may reach 70 F. I risk brewing at that temp and rely on the water to prevent run-away ferment temps to keep me ok. I make sure my yeast is Ok to 70 F when the temp is high. For the most part I use Belgian yeasts in Summer, so high temps is not an issue. You should be able to get a bucket and heater for about $25.

You can grab a fridge off Craigslist and get a controller for around $200 if you can do the conversion yourself.

Temp control is the best thing you can do for your beer.

I use a swamp cooler. Without any extra cooling, it stays around 3 degrees cooler than the ambient air due to evaporation. In summer, the house is 78F - adding ice bottles as needed keeps it cool. In winter a seedling heat mat wrapped around the tub, with a thermostat controlling the bath water temp keeps it warm.

I use a swamp cooler. Without any extra cooling, it stays around 3 degrees cooler than the ambient air due to evaporation. In summer, the house is 78F - adding ice bottles as needed keeps it cool. In winter a seedling heat mat wrapped around the tub, with a thermostat controlling the bath water temp keeps it warm.
How about swamp cooler + inkbird + box fan? Kicks the fan on when more coolth is needed.

During the winter it is colder. Find the coldest spot (within the temp. range of the yeast ) and ferment there. In the summer, it will be much hotter. Ferment beers using yeasts that can tolerate more heat, like belgian yeast.

During winter, I place fermenter in a service bathroom, where is cold, I open the window and put a T-shirt on the fermenter, which I keep wet. The liquid crystals strip thermometers read 61F on the 1st and 2nd day. Now on day 3, I let it raise to 63F.

If you do not want to invest in fermentation, then there are ways to still make good beer.

Perhaps not the best long term solution, but in the winter you can go the other way too:
If it is colder (for most of the day) outside than you need it, put a heater on your fermenter and insulate it. Controller certainly helps, and you need to make sure that the heater/insulation combination are not becoming a fire hazard.

Right now, I am using an aquarium heater, and a very small, cheap harbor freight pond pump for re-circulation, in a large rubbermaid tub. With it being winter, water in my basement settles to about 60°, so keeping the temperature at or above that is easy. The total thermal mass of the fermentor and the rubbermaid tank slows ambient temperature swings dramatically, and likewise allows me to ramp temperatures pretty fast with a 300w aquarium heater. I pushed my last two Belgians to 82° with it, and it is holding my current ale at 64° without a problem.

Now that I have my Tilt hydrometer/thermometer, it will be interesting to see how it compares with a mini-fridge for controlling temperature swings during active fermentation.

Right now, I am using an aquarium heater, and a very small, cheap harbor freight pond pump for re-circulation, in a large rubbermaid tub. With it being winter, water in my basement settles to about 60°, so keeping the temperature at or above that is easy. The total thermal mass of the fermentor and the rubbermaid tank slows ambient temperature swings dramatically, and likewise allows me to ramp temperatures pretty fast with a 300w aquarium heater. I pushed my last two Belgians to 82° with it, and it is holding my current ale at 64° without a problem.

Now that I have my Tilt hydrometer/thermometer, it will be interesting to see how it compares with a mini-fridge for controlling temperature swings during active fermentation.

Hey how is your tilt? Been thinking about one.

Hey how is your tilt? Been thinking about one.

Really happy with it. On my second batch using it. I used an old crappy cellphone to post the data to a google docs sheet - that process is a bit convoluted but their website has a good explanation and step-by-step. The hard part is trying not to check the gravity every 15 min while I am at work. Calibration was off by 0.001, which is better than my hydrometer. I like it a lot better than taking samples with a hydrometer and the near-real-time tracking is nifty.
Here is my last Belgian quad:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...W6h32JfIPqAsPpmwcS1XN7nlBpU/edit?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:
During the winter it is colder. Find the coldest spot (within the temp. range of the yeast ) and ferment there. In the summer, it will be much hotter. Ferment beers using yeasts that can tolerate more heat, like belgian yeast.

During winter, I place fermenter in a service bathroom, where is cold, I open the window and put a T-shirt on the fermenter, which I keep wet. The liquid crystals strip thermometers read 61F on the 1st and 2nd day. Now on day 3, I let it raise to 63F.

If you do not want to invest in fermentation, then there are ways to still make good beer.

This is what im doing, all you really need is some digital temp gauges and those $2 ones to stick on the fermenter.
I have every kind and just went around with my infrared one finding spots.
I have a cheap steel 16"x11"x 5' cabinet i keep in the warmest room with 3 1 gallon jugs, could fit another 3 on the bottom too or 2 5-7 gallon would fit as well.

Back