Method for clearing beer without cold crashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPLS_Brewing

Reaction score
I don't have the space for cold crashing a 5 gallon batch of beer. I've read about filtering systems for wine or chemical additives for clearing wine. Is there a similar process for beer or cider? I'm open to any suggestions or tricks that can be implemented.

Edit: I'm brewing in an apartment space so I favor using less equipment and space.

well you have to dissolve it in warm water/beer first. I assume it would still work. IDK.

i assume you bottle, so why not bottle cloudy beer and put as many bottles can fit at a time and allow them to clear? i think a fridge is one of the most important pieces of equipment a brewer can have

I'm now reading that yeast flocculation can also affect the haziness of the beer. Any recommendation for reducing yeast haze at room temperature.

i assume you bottle, so why not bottle cloudy beer and put as many bottles can fit at a time and allow them to clear? i think a fridge is one of the most important pieces of equipment a brewer can have
I do end up placing bottled beers in the fridge for consumption. Does it make a difference to cold crash before after bottling? or does it mainly result in sediment at the bottom of the bottle which is not a concern in my case.

I do end up placing bottled beers in the fridge for consumption. Does it make a difference to cold crash before after bottling? or does it mainly result in sediment at the bottom of the bottle which is not a concern in my case.
gotta work with what you got

if you cant bulk cold crash, crash it in bottle, that's what i would do, yeah its ideal crashing before packaging so you dont get mega sediment but if you cant not end of the world

Like grampamark says; time and gravity.... But then I've been impatient before and without being able to cold-crash at the time, I've used the same filter as the guy in this video;

But..as a gravity feed from my racking cane instead of gas, and it worked well for me to filter into my bottling bucket and I only lost maybe a bit less than a pint to the filter housing and extra tubing.

Give it an extra few days to a week or two weeks. It'll clear up.

I've waited sometimes till the beer in the carboy looks dead and devoid of any life signs. By then you can see the ripples on the surface of the trub and yeast on the bottom very clearly to the other side of the carboy.

Those were some of the best tasting beers I've bottled. One was six weeks in the FV though the ferment likely finished in the first week.

I wish I could find my pic of a glass of it. It was really clean and seemed to sparkle in the sunlight outside.

Cold crashing in bottles works fine if you don't mind the sediment. Otherwise, you can just let it sit in the fermenter at room temp & it will continue to clear (just don't move or shake the fermenter because will just stir it all back up).

Gelatin works at room temp, but nowhere near as well as when you cold crash it. The cold crashing makes it drop out better. However, at room temp it will mix well, still attract like it should and when you eventually stick the beers in the fridge it'll still drop. I used to do this and then just keep the beers in the fridge for a few weeks longer before opening to give the gelatin time to work in the bottles, and it worked just fine.

Gelatin works at room temp, but nowhere near as well as when you cold crash it. The cold crashing makes it drop out better. However, at room temp it will mix well, still attract like it should and when you eventually stick the beers in the fridge it'll still drop. I used to do this and then just keep the beers in the fridge for a few weeks longer before opening to give the gelatin time to work in the bottles, and it worked just fine.
I keg condition with sugar in my kegs, does this mean I theoretically could mix gelatin in my priming solution, let it sit att room temp for ~2 weeks and the gelatin will flocc out any eventual residual proteins when I let the sit in the kegerator for a few days or a week-ish?

If you keg condition with sugar in the keg, I'm assuming you're carbonating with sugar in the keg. In your case I'd clarify with gelatin in the fermenter before kegging, which is what bottling guys do as well IIRC.

In my first batch (ever) of lager that's currently bottle conditioning, I used half a whirfloc tablet at 15 min during the boil and added two tsps of Biofine into the bottling bucket. When testing for gravity the whirfloc clearly (see what I did there?) helped, we'll see what the biofine does.

Whirlfloc in the boil, and Biofine Clear in the keg. Biofine Clear works way better than Gelatin, imo (I know plenty of brewers have great luck with Gelatin. I'm not one of them). I couldn't get Gelatin to work, so I switched to Biofine Clear, and it's made a WORLD of difference. It's amazing stuff.

I have no idea what your problem is because the beer will clear at room temperature if you use a high flocculating yeast strain... Nottingham would do. Brew your beer and ferment out then bottle leave for a couple of weeks it will be perfectly clear... when I say that I mean there will be no yeast in suspension, you may have a haze that is a brewing problem. I don't cold crash my beer never have done , I think cold crashing is an American thing, I bottle it and keg it and then condition it at room temp for a couple of weeks and it is always crystal clear. You can the cool bottles as required.

I have no idea what your problem is because the beer will clear at room temperature if you use a high flocculating yeast strain... Nottingham would do. Brew your beer and ferment out then bottle leave for a couple of weeks it will be perfectly clear... when I say that I mean there will be no yeast in suspension, you may have a haze that is a brewing problem. I don't cold crash my beer never have done , I think cold crashing is an American thing, I bottle it and keg it and then condition it at room temp for a couple of weeks and it is always crystal clear. You can the cool bottles as required.
What happens when you chill the beer for serving? Does it stay crystal clear? I know chill haze doesn’t matter to alot of people but chill haze is not allowed in my house 😜

Honestly Cannot say I have had a problem with chill haze at all. That must be some sort of protein precipitation? Thing is it is all about the style of beer and the way it is served. My beers are served at about 11 to 12 C that is about 53 degrees flabberhight in some parts of the world 🤣

edit
for the record I do not put my beer in a domestic fridge to cool for drinking... only a fool drinks beer at 4C or 39 flabberhight :no: :no: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Honestly Cannot say I have had a problem with chill haze at all. That must be some sort of protein precipitation? Thing is it is all about the style of beer and the way it is served. My beers are served at about 11 to 12 C that is about 53 degrees flabberhight in some parts of the world 🤣

edit
for the record I do not put my beer in a domestic fridge to cool for drinking... only a fool drinks beer at 4C or 39 flabberhight :no: :no: :thumbsup:
To each their own, i store my beer very cold but depending on style you can let it warm 2-3 mins for serving

https://byo.com/article/fining-your-beer-techniques/
Gelatin does work best cold. I’ve used Isinglass with good results but again cold. I think chitosan is similar, both products are made from fish. I’ve mostly seen chitosan included with wine kits. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t good for beer or won’t work with beer. Polyclar is a popular one but I’ve never used it. Its basically very fine little beads of plastic and I just never cared for that idea.

Irish moss in the kettle helps or I have whirfloc. Those go in for the last couple min of the boil and help more break fall out.

I tried filtering early in my brewing career, many years ago. Didn’t have much luck with it. Finding the right size filter, clogging, and how do you sanitize a water filter? Oxygen pickup would also seem to be a big concern with a filter.

Like was said, most beers will clear with time.

Last edited:

edit
53 works for British styles and some ales. I had a best bitter on tap while I was using the kegerator to also ferment a lager, set at 53. It was perfect to me at that temp. Lagers are normally served much colder in the US. Not 39 try 35.

Gelatin works great in a chilled keg. Heat the gelatin to 165F with microwave bursts, let it sit 10 minutes to bloom, then take your sanitized keg injector and give the keg a dose of gelatin.

As they say “Cold crashing sucks”…. Air that is! So unless you can control for air suck-back as the wort chills, don’t cold crash, you can expose your beer to O2. Works great!

Attachments

• ABC1C6A7-7961-474C-B498-616566984A8E.jpeg
    ABC1C6A7-7961-474C-B498-616566984A8E.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back