Metallic taste in my brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontiercdk

Reaction score
Made my typical light beer, added one once of dried sweet orange peel and ended up with a light metallic taste. I have made this several times with good taste. This was the first time to use the orange. Is that the orange peel?

10 gallon batch
12 Lbs pilson Uk
1 LB flaked rice
1.5 Lb table sugar
13 Oz corn sugar
1 oz goldings east kent
2 teaspoons irish moss
20 drops fermcap
Nottingham danstar ale yeast

mash with 4.75 gallons 163 degrees 75 min
fly sparge with 10.5 gallons at 168 degrees
bring to boil, add hopps
boil for 65 min
add moss wort chiller, sugar boil 10 min
add dried sweet orange peel boil 5 min
term boil.

163F is too high for a mash temp. 153-155 is the usual temp for mashing.
Sparge temp is fine. What causes the metallic taste is chlorophinols. Chlorine or chloromine in the water or cleaner/sanitizer is the usual culprit.

What causes the metallic taste is chlorophinols. Chlorine or chloromine in the water or cleaner/sanitizer is the usual culprit.

To expand on that, a pinch of Potassium Metabisulfate in your brewing water is the easiest way to remove chlorine and chloromine from tap water. Just add it while heating your strike and sparge water and give it a stir.

I've heard several people complain about orange peels causing a metallic taste in certain recipes. I've always omitted them for that reason from mine, though consequently that means I lack personal experience on this issue. I guess take my second hand anecdotal evidence for what it's worth (not much, that is).

I apologize, The 163 degree is what I heat the water to before putting it in the tun or adding grains. It is usually right around the 153 mark after grains are added. Thank yall for the input. So im probably looking at chlorine or the dryed sweet orange peel. I can easily fix that.

Back