Mercy!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got to sample a Bourbon Barrel Mead this weekend. Mead, aged 1 year in a bourbon barrel. I was skeptical at first, but it was AMAZING!!!!!

I wish I could've gotten a bottle to sample at my leisure and given everyone a more thorough description, but suffice it to say, it was awesome.

Cool! I've never tasted a mead other than my own, so I don't really know what it's supposed to taste like (but I like mine).

Bump!!!! I just bought a bottle at my local liquor store.

The name of the Product is: Nau-t-gal

And the bottle is shaped like a woman, from the torso to the neck- so it has all the important parts. I can't wait to pop it open.

Anybody know if mead stores like spirits? Or more like wine? Can I go through it over a week? A month? Or once I open it, do I have to finish it? It's 16%ABV

I made my first batch of mead 2 weeks ago at a local homebrewers meet
there were lots of samples past around
one was a straight mead that had oak chips added to the carboy
it had that distinct "oak aged" flavor
rather nice

Dave

mew said:
Cool! I've never tasted a mead other than my own, so I don't really know what it's supposed to taste like (but I like mine).

Ditto. I only *think* I know what mead should taste like based on the sweet meads and melomels I've made myself.

Damn Squirrels said:
I got to sample a Bourbon Barrel Mead this weekend. Mead, aged 1 year in a bourbon barrel. I was skeptical at first, but it was AMAZING!!!!!

I wish I could've gotten a bottle to sample at my leisure and given everyone a more thorough description, but suffice it to say, it was awesome.

I'm of the mindset that, like bacon, bourbon barrels make everything better. :tank:

I want to try mead soo bad, I really wish we could get it down here. Anyone know of a site where you can order it?

Damn Squirrels said:
Anybody know if mead stores like spirits? Or more like wine? Can I go through it over a week? A month? Or once I open it, do I have to finish it? It's 16%ABV

depends on if it is sparkling or not. IME sparkling stores like beer, just drink it. still stores like wine. keep the o2 of it and it will last a long long time.

Ryanh1801 said:
I want to try mead soo bad, I really wish we could get it down here. Anyone know of a site where you can order it?

Try here. I know this is a bit away but they ship and have a fabulous rasberry and blackberry mead! Also try the Ren Festivals. I go to the one just south of dallas. The mead they server is not the best but it is okay!

I've found only one place that I can buy mead. If you have a BevMo (Beverages and More) around your area they have one type of mead called Chaucer's mead. It's pretty sweet, but not too bad and really good if you mull it (they provide ground spice bags but I'm kind of a purist and suggest you get whole spices. You can buy them at stores like Williams-Sonoma at Christmas time or just get the separate spices in bulk and make your own mix). BevMo also has another thing right next to the Chaucer's called Meade which is actually a white wine accented with honey; I've never tried it.

I've got a question about adding the oak chips- would I put those in during the secondary ferment, or could I just char some small oak staves and allow them to soak in the aging container?

Back