Men: Getting snipped. Yay or nay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But every time I start to schedule an appointment, my Boys start hurting, and I get nervous.

Yeah, yeah, it doesn't really hurt that bad, or whutever, but you're all fvcking liars, as far as I know.
Have you ever had stitches or broken a bone. Now that **** hurts and is not planned for. For me it was like a pulled muscle soreness for about 4 days, but everyone handles pain different. Heck I've never gone back to a doctor to have stitches pulled. Scissors and tweezers and they come right out.

The funny part of my procedure was the lady that rubbed the numbing cream on the boys. This woman was very old, ugly and enthusiastic about the job at hand. When the doctor came in I ask him how much she payed him to work there. He stared blankly for a moment then giggled while shaking his head.

I'll tell you what, I was a bit worried when I got the standard Vicodin prescription that the urologist gives out filled a few days before the procedure, and the pharmacist gave me a bottle with 25 pills. I was expecting maybe 5, but 25?!?! Holy crap, that's a lot of narcotics.

25!?!?!? Holy crap. I got one.......still better than none I guess. The beer does help the recovery process though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had it done and ended up very sore for several weeks after.

My experience as well. Had it done 12 years ago. Office procedure, no sedation, less than 10 minutes. I developed considerable swelling that lasted a month. My surgeon told me it happens to about 5% or so of victims. I have no regrets.

So some pain for a month but then my boys were like...:tank:

After my wife brought having this procedure I tried compromising stating the fact that there has never been a reported case of mouth or butt babies. So a few weeks later I'm laying on this operating table. It was more nerve racking and somewhat embarrassing than anything else. A little Lidocaine injection (felt like yanking a hair out). A little cut, cut, snip, snip, and I was done. A few days on the couch with an ice pack, video games, Percocet, and beer (not mixed, of course ;) ;) ). Back to my old self in a few weeks.

The hardest part was not being able to 8==D~~ for a solid week...doctors orders.

I am in no danger of getting a woman pregnant, so I have no reason to get anything snipped.

:eek:

I tried compromising stating the fact that there has never been a reported case of mouth or butt babies.

Those orifices are always great (and a safe bet every time). I prefer them over the usual.

But I am still contemplating getting snipped.

I've had a few beers his evening and after reading the new posts in this thread, my balls hurt even more. I literally cringed reading one of the posts.

I'm going to call my insurance company tomorrow and ask if the procedure is covered. FML

I got snipped 25 years ago or so. Done on a Friday and was back to work stacking lumber at the mill on Monday. No ill effects, no complications, spent Friday and Saturday on the recliner with frozen peas on my junk. Had it done in my family Doc's office. I still remember him whistling "Take Me Down To The Ball Game" as he was shaving me.....I put it down to being World Series time. I rate it as one of my best decisions as I didn't want any more youngins.

After my wife brought having this procedure I tried compromising stating the fact that there has never been a reported case of mouth or butt babies. So a few weeks later I'm laying on this operating table. It was more nerve racking and somewhat embarrassing than anything else. A little Lidocaine injection (felt like yanking a hair out). A little cut, cut, snip, snip, and I was done. A few days on the couch with an ice pack, video games, Percocet, and beer (not mixed, of course ;) ;) ). Back to my old self in a few weeks.

The hardest part was not being able to 8==D~~ for a solid week...doctors orders.

My doc numbed me with some sort of aerosol spray/ injection, however, I have a buddy who went to an old dude that used 60's era technology/medicine. He got two shots, one to each ball. He said that the worst part was knowing how bad the second shot was going to hurt before he got it.

My doc numbed me with some sort of aerosol spray/ injection, however, I have a buddy who went to an old dude that used 60's era technology/medicine. He got two shots, one to each ball. He said that the worst part was knowing how bad the second shot was going to hurt before he got it.

Now that's f'ed up...

My doc knocked me completely out. I asked in advance cause you never know how you'll react when someone is taking a blade to the boys. This was an option at the VA, maybe not everywhere.

that's gotta be a lie.

I got mine done a few years ago after avoiding it for too long (and an oopsie). I was a baby and got knocked out though. The recovery wasn't bad at all.

It has been something I've considered, as I don't have any children of my own and don't want any. i figure my mom's got two great-grandkids, so there's no danger of the family dying out.

Perhaps after I move to ottawa i'll look into it.

YAY-

I was 30, I have four kids, enough was enough! Cute nurse shaved me bald and I got two shots, hurt but not as bad as crotching my Schwinn when I was 13...

I was given a T-shirt by my best-bud, said, "I shoot blanks!".

:mug:

i was going to go the diy route. You guys think the doctor is a better option?

vasectomy.png

$12.35 savings???

SWEET!!!

I can't believe I almost spent $35.70 on this!

Coworker of mine had the big V done and his got 'satchel' infected. He had to make several trips to the urologist to to get it drained. Took about a month to get healed. Sounded aweful. But now he can't have another unintended child, so that might net less pain for him.

I had it done about 6 years ago and I will get some soreness in my right testicle if the wife and I get busy to much so we at give it a day break between getting it on and all is good in Nutville

I got a late start having kids... My daughter turn 1 next week and i just turn 41. It is a real challenge for us to get pregnant, like big $$$ in drugs and procedures for us to have her and we hope to have another next year, God willing.
Beyond that we haven't discussed getting snipped. Odds are against slipping one past the goalie for us, but we also don't believe in abortion either. If one did get by years down the road it could put both baby and mother at risk. That being said, I will get snipped when it is time and not risk becoming a single parent this late in life.

Had mine about 24 years ago after son #2. Quick and painless. You take it easy for a couple of days and use common sense. Definitely get it done if contemplating.

I'm happily child-free (not sure if I've mentioned that or not elsewhere in the forum) and fully intend to stay that way, as does my wife. I just turned 40, so even if I did change my mind, it's a little late in life, practically speaking, to even consider starting a journey down the parenthood road. A (fellow child-free) buddy of mine got snipped last year and loudly sings the praises of getting it done. If it were painless, guaranteed, and no-risk, I'd already have booked an appointment.

That said, I'm still considering booking the appointment, but I wanted to hear from others who've had it done (or considered it and decided not to). I'm looking for whether or not it was worth it, what kind of complications or long-term side-effects you've suffered, whether or not it was effective, diminished your sex drive, whether or not it was a long recovery, a painful operation, that sort of stuff. I'm interested in your experiences to help me work up the courage to pick up my phone and book the appointment.
1. Worth it. Would do it again in a heartbeat
2. No complications or serious long term side effects. I get the occasional "blue balls" kind of feeling but it's very slight
3. No diminished sex drive.
4. Short recovery. I used a bag of peas only the day after. I was given 40+ percoset and used only 6 total. I was out golfing, working out, and having sex pain free within 3 weeks. I probably could have done all that in 2 weeks but decided to err on the side of caution.
5. Pain-free operation. The doc kept telling me that if I felt ANYTHING to let him know and then he added a little more lidocaine. The procedure wasn't COMFORTABLE but it definitely was not painful.
6. If you don't want kids, book the appointment. I have 4. That's enough.

Had it done. Seeing smoke come off your junk is a little unsettling (they use those thermal scalpels). Did it on a Thursday, went to work on Monday. Bags of cheap frozen corn or peas work the best for icing your stuff.

It allowed my wife to get off her birth control and I find that alone worth the discomfort. It's not bad at all - but as you see some guys feel something and some never do. Here's hoping you are in the latter group.

Pick a urologist with a long track record of these - he will be so fast you never have a chance to say "hey you shaved my b@lls .. "

Thanks for the encouragement guys, it helps. The guy I'm looking at going to is widely renowned as the best in the biz locally. He does the no-needle, no-scalpel procedure. Apparently he's considering retiring soon, which is why I'm thinking of making the call.

Honestly, I'm not too worried about the recovery. I think I'm tough enough to deal with a little nut soreness for a week. The thing that's making my hands sweat is the thought of the procedure itself. I don't deal well with medical stuff. The thought of going into that operating room in the gown, propping my legs up and having someone draw blood from my business is what freaks me out. That said, he apparently prescribes Valium that you're supposed to take a couple of hours before the procedure. And I have to shave my own balls beforehand, so no worries about Nurse Ratched going all Sweeney Todd on my boys.

Had mine done on a Thurs. morning, came home iced down and wore a jock. Wife went out of town Friday morning and left me with the 3 year old and 1 year old. Hung out Saturday, ran some errands, put the kids to bet - no problem. A little swelling but Motrin was my friend. Sunday morning I was in my robe, and going to let the dog out. A dozen deer were in the back yard, so I ran and grabbed my bow and whacked a doe. She took off, so I was left to get dressed let the kids run around and I tracked her 150 yards into the woods behind the house. The wife called, and I said I was tracking a deer and she went ballistic. Long and the short - you can do everything you could do before they cut and tie your vas deferens!

No personal experience here. I am now old enough I am probably shooting blanks anyway.

About 25 years ago, 2 friends decided to have it done at the same time, moral support?? One had no problems and was pretty much back to normal in a few days. The other had an infection and was in pain for more than a week.

I'm looking for whether or not it was worth it, what kind of complications or long-term side-effects you've suffered, whether or not it was effective, diminished your sex drive, whether or not it was a long recovery, a painful operation, that sort of stuff.

1. Totally worth it.
  2. Some complications... I don't recommend you look up the term "scrotal hematoma". Not too much pain, but there was swelling and discomfort. Took a good 2-3 weeks to fully clear.
  3. No long-term effects whatsoever.
  4. Didn't diminish the drive at all.
  5. But even with #2 above, still totally worth it.

My advice; get it done by a urologist, not a GP.

Well, yeah. Are you going to take your prized motorcycle down to the local auto mechanic? Or are you going to take it to someone who is specifically trained how to handle that hog? :D

Had mine done on a Thurs. morning, came home iced down and wore a jock. Wife went out of town Friday morning and left me with the 3 year old and 1 year old. Hung out Saturday, ran some errands, put the kids to bet - no problem. A little swelling but Motrin was my friend. Sunday morning I was in my robe, and going to let the dog out. A dozen deer were in the back yard, so I ran and grabbed my bow and whacked a doe. She took off, so I was left to get dressed let the kids run around and I tracked her 150 yards into the woods behind the house. The wife called, and I said I was tracking a deer and she went ballistic. Long and the short - you can do everything you could do before they cut and tie your vas deferens!

I laughed my ass off so many times before I even got through the entire post. That's just awesome! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Back