Memorial Day -- Who Do You Remember?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHBWNY

Reaction score
I think about my Dad a lot. But as Memorial Day approaches, it makes the sacrifice he made for our family and our country all the more poignant.

While Dad didn't die in combat, he willingly put his life on the line like so many thousands of others did in WWII. Some did not make it back home alive, but my Dad --- by the grace of God --- did.

He was a B-24 Liberator co-pilot in the U.S. Army Air Corps (eventually U.S. Air Force). On their first bombing run over southern Germany, they encountered enemy flak and their ship was mortally wounded and going down fast. The crew bailed out, but the pilot had blacked out in his chair. My Dad unstrapped him, dragged him to the open door, clipped him into the zip line and gave him a shove. And then Dad bailed out last. As he descended, he watched his plane disappear behind a mountain and then --- a plume of black smoke. He broke his ankle when he hit the ground. Then he caught up with his radio operator and together they stalked their way through enemy territory, heading toward the Swiss border, hoping not to be caught by the Nazis.

That night they found a farm house with an old German couple who put them up for the night in the barn, having promised not to tell anyone for fear of their lives. Dad and his buddy were fed eggs and fresh homemade bread and butter. The next morning they set out up a mountain trail. It wasn't long before they were overtaken by a Nazi youth on a bicycle coming towards them brandishing a K-98 and were taken to German headquarters and interrogated. Name, rank and serial number was all they gave their captors.

Dad got some superficial medical aid for his ankle and they were quickly shuffled onto waiting boxcars. The trip north was 3 days and at one point their train was fired upon by allied aircraft. Fortunately, no one was hit. He and the other allied troops on board arrived at a Luftwafe prison camp called "Stalag Luft 1" near the small town of Barth on the North Sea.

Dad loved to watch "Hogan's Heroes". He said that the barracks were identical to his right down to the very splinter! My Mom heard he was MIA, but it was not until 3 months after he was captured that word finally got back to her that he was alive. She was so distraught that she miscarried their first child. They were treated fairly humanely in prison camp, as it was a Luftwafe (German air force) camp and there was apparently an unspoken respect shown for the prisoners by the guards.

10 months later, they began hearing rumors that the Russian Army (then our allies) were encroaching on the eastern front of Nazi Germany and talk circulated that liberation might be soon. One morning Dad and his buddies awoke to find the camp entirely abandoned! Not a German to be seen! A couple weeks later, the end of the war was declared and he came home.

All this to say that my Dad was my hero. They say heroes are defined not by how they die, but how they lived their lives. Not knowing whether he would live or die, my Dad willingly gave his all so that those who came after him would enjoy --- and hopefully cherish --- the freedom and way of life we have today. To that, I can only say,

"Thanks, Dad."

Like you, I am thankful on Memorial Day that I *don't* have to celebrate my brother; I can do that on Veteran's Day. He just retired from the USMC as a pilot, and is now flying commercial. He was on the ground during the first gulf war, and has been at least in theater for much of the recent crap.

For those of you who have lost close ones in during a war, all I can offer is to drink some homebrew in their honor this weekend.

For those of you who have lost close ones in during a war, all I can offer is to drink some homebrew in their honor this weekend.

Glad your bro is back safe and sound. I'll raise my glass to him and all the men and women who gave part of their lives so that we can enjoy our way of life. BTW, I think my Dad would have loved the homebrewing obsession.

My father was a Navy Seabee in the Philippines during WWII. He & the guys built the runways "hoppin' around them islants" as he described it. He was filmed on two occasions that I saw on cable shows like "World at War" & the like. He was near a tower & bulletin board in a ditch paralleling the runway they were working on when the Japanese zeros came in. He looked up at the camera, carbine in hand, helmet straps hanging loose. I was shocked & amazed that the stories weren't exaggerated. It showed a pic on the bulletin board of heavy amounts of tracers filling the night sky he'd showed us a pic of that he took...right there on film! He had nightmares for decades afterword of being overrun by the Japanese, trying to keep Guadalcanal. " We were overrun 5 or 6 to one!...i dunno, I lost count"! I could still see the stark terror in the old man's eyes as he recounted the battle. He was bayoneted by a Japanese soldier in his foxhole. But he had the presence of mind to kill him with his M1. Dang enemy soldiers would wait for the "ping" sound the ejecting clip rail made after 5 shots rang out to attack! He had relived this moment in those nightmares. I gained a new respect as a teen for the man who wasn't just my father, but my car/fishin/huntin/ barroom buddy as well. He & mom are gone now...you never feel more alone then at that point.
Both my uncles (mom's brothers) were in Korea, & both returned alive. My older Brother was in Vietnam toward the end. They were sleeping in camp near the edge of some river one night. Then my brother said he heard paddles splashing in the river. He pulled out his M16, got out of his tent, & opened fire! At that point, he heard only one splashing. He then saw he'd cut the person across the chest, cleanly killing him. His CO yelling "cease, fire!" shortly thereafter. He came back a little messed up after being stationed in Tokyo for a year. It was the first time he'd been forced to kill another human being to survive.
Then there's the big fella, our assistant scoutmaster & fellow Mustang freak, Charles Brannon. He was 6' 5", so with his good nature (kinda like hoss), I called him " The gentle giant". He went back to Vietnam a 2nd time, trying for enough money to bore & stroke his 65' SB Mustang. His patrol chased some VC into thailand, I think it was. He was gunned down by one of them with an AK-47. He lived the next street over from us by Ridgelawn Cemetery. " It's your next-door neighbor, but don't forget to say grace, & tell me, over & over & over again, my friend..ya don't believe, we're on the eve of destruction"?...I salute the memory of the men that did what had to be done so we could live in freedom! :mug:

Thinking about my grandfather. Multiple purple hearts and other medals in the Pacific during WWII. Marine.
and my uncle. 25+ year career as a SEAL.
As well as many coworkers who served. All have paid a price for our freedom.

I think about my best friend. Sadly I lost him just over a year ago. He served in Afghanistan and made it back safe. It was in 29 Palms, California that he was killed by a fellow Marine. He was 2 months from being discharged. It amazes me that he made it through hell, only to meet his fate state side. May all soldiers find their way safely back to their family and friends.

Gone Not Forgotten
USMC Cpl Steven Kohus

steve 1.jpg

I never knew my mom's brother. He died in Vietnam. Word has it he was killed by a grenade.

I did see his name on the traveling war memorial wall 2 summers ago.

Must have been pretty hard on my grandma. She STILL calls me Johnny sometimes and now that she is 92 and kind of senile she mentions him fairly often.

My grandfather. He was an American infrantryman who fought in the Battle of the Bulge in WW2. Met my grandmother in London and brought her home with him after the war. Tremendous human being, kind and soft spoken. He passed away in 2007 after a fall.

On a related note, ran into this video on YouTube last night. Get the Kleenex ready.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8k9Si28k0Fk"]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8k9Si28k0Fk[/ame]

My father was a Marine, in Korea. His father, my grandfather, was in WWI. My father-in-law was in WWII. Numerous friends in Afghanistan and Iraq. Endless wars.

My grandfather. He was an American infrantryman who fought in the Battle of the Bulge in WW2. Met my grandmother in London and brought her home with him after the war. Tremendous human being, kind and soft spoken. He passed away in 2007 after a fall.

On a related note, ran into this video on YouTube last night. Get the Kleenex ready.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8k9Si28k0Fk

That was indeed very touching. Thank you for this one! Kinda hard watching it while wiping my eyes...remembering my father, who was in the Philippines, father in law who chased Rommel across North Africa, & all the others who fought for what we hold so dear. The friends & neighbors I'll never see again, co workers who'll never return to work. My brother, who was forced to kill to protect his comrades in arms. This boy embodies all that's in the hearts of every American, when push comes to shove. When the way of life we've worked so hard for in shaping this republic is threatened by religious zealots, or those seeking to take what we have worked for, rather than earning it for themselves. I salute him & his family for supporting such a fine young man. A living example to all of us, surely. :rockin:

I've a couple of first cousins who were killed in Vietnam.
A high school classmate's son died in Afghanistan.

My dad served in the Navy in WWII. He never told any war stories, except that one time there were Kamikaze aircraft that were chased/shot down before they could hit his ship, an ammunitions carrier.

And also that he never cared much for beer until he had to sit in the heat in the Philippines. The guys were each given a nice cold beer while they waited to take some officers back to a ship.

Grandmother's brother died in Normandy a few days after D-Day. Didn't know him. Regarding memorial day, he's really the only one of my family that I know gave it all in combat.

Grandpa's brother Merle was in 101st Airborne in WWII, part of Market Garden, cleaning out my ancestral homeland. I remember playing pool with him. He was a cigar smoker. Funny guy. We are DeWeerds, dutch. It must have been an honor going into the Netherlands to (attempt) to free them. He died in 2012.

Dad was a Army Lieutenant in the Army around the time LBJ was sending "advisors" into SE Asia in the mid sixties. I was born on an Army base in Texas. He got out just before the **** hit the fan. He died a few months ago.

I never knew my mom's brother. He died in Vietnam. Word has it he was killed by a grenade.

I did see his name on the traveling war memorial wall 2 summers ago.

Must have been pretty hard on my grandma. She STILL calls me Johnny sometimes and now that she is 92 and kind of senile she mentions him fairly often.

I didn't go to Nam, but I'm a Vietnam-era vet, and lost some hometown buds there. When I saw the traveling wall a few years ago and their names on it, I lost it.

Both my Grandfathers served during WWII. My Grandpa A serves in the Navy as a gunners mate and my Grandpa S who I'm named after served in the Army in the pacific.

Both came home safe and sound but never spoke about their experiences which leads me to believe they saw some stuff.

Grandpa A was stationed at Pearl Harbor...his boat had a mechanical problem and were three hours late getting back to port and missed the attack. When they returned he and his shipmates were left to clean up the damage.

Since both my Grandfathers passed away (2004 A and 1983 S) I haven't been able to get much information on what exactly they did during the war but I am grateful and miss them very much.

Also, have many friends who served multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and thankful they all came home alive.

I'm sure both grandpas get a hoot out of me brewing my own beer and playing old man baseball.

My grandfather fought in France during WWI, my father fought in Italy during WWII, My 2 uncles fought in France & Germany during WWII, my stepdad fought in Korea, my cousin fought in Vietnam. Fortunately, they all came home; many of their friends didn't. I'm grateful to all who served, but Memorial Day is for those who didn't come home. I will raise my glass & drink the long drink to their memories. They gave their all so that the rest of us can enjoy the American way of life; and not just America, but Canada, UK, Italy, Netherlands, South Korea, Australia, etc...

Whether you go camping or stay home & BBQ, whether you lay a wreath, raise a flag or raise a toast; as long as you take a few minutes to remember those who have fallen in service to our country, I think they would be glad to know that you're enjoying the freedom they fought & died to secure for you. You've heard the phrase "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." (Voltaire), Today we remember those who actually did. I hope your Memorial Day is a pleasant one, whatever you do.
Regards, GF.

Looks like we have a lot of Navy guys in here. Both my father & father in law were navy in WWII. Pop was a Seabee, 111th special battalion. I remember pics pop showed me of he & his buddies drinking beer from those khaki colored beer cans while staking parts, tires, jeeps, tanks, armaments, etc. He also told stories about raiding Japanese ammo & fuel dumps. They killed all the guards with Thompsons & blew up the rest. The one film where the Japanese prisoner was strung up, alive with his belly cut open was pop & his squad. His CO gave them cigars to smoke, using his belly for an ashtray. All the while the man screaming in Japanese to "kill me". He got what he disserved for what they were doing to our guys. I remember dad saying his CO told them to "put the fear of God in'em"!

Cheers, to all that have gone before us. Let's live our lives so they would not have died in vain.

Young lad called Rick, last time I saw him he showed me a picture of a beautiful young woman he intended to marry. He did, went back to Iraq ..... roadside IED ...

NYPD Sgt Rodney Gillis. Not a soldier, but killed serving our country. On 9/11 he finished a midnight tour in Emergency Services Unit 8, but did not go right home. When a call came in for a plane crash, he jumped on the truck. At the scene, he ran into the WTC to save people. He did not come back. Rodney was very careful and professional, and had survived many other encounters, gun fights, bridge jumpers. We were in the academy together, and at the 79. I was on a couple of legendary foot pursuits with him. He attended my wedding, I went to his family events. He died as he lived, a great cop and American hero.

Not an American but nevertheless remembered, my grandfathers brothers who flew in the Battle of Britain, one of whom bailed out into the channel, and the other who was killed in a dogfight.

One of their names is on a memorial in Kent, the other is remembered only by us.

And a thought for the hundreds of boys who were younger than I am who stood up to a seemingly undefeatable foe and fought anyway and never came back.

OEF '08 2/7 19 bothers lost on the trip. Sgt Bell will always stick with me watched his life end while three other survived. War is senseless and has no rhyme or reason I could have been Sgt. Bell anyone on that convoy could have been.

RIP I'll never forget them.

OEF '08 2/7 19 bothers lost on the trip. Sgt Bell will always stick with me watched his life end while three other survived. War is senseless and has no rhyme or reason I could have been Sgt. Bell anyone on that convoy could have been.

RIP I'll never forget them.

Amen, brother. The brutality and indiscrimination of war itself is hard to make sense of and it is not without futility that I attempt to assign purpose to it. But there is something about opposing the philosophies and fighting against those forces of evil that would otherwise oppress and imprison us that for me justifies the reason for doing all that is necessary to stop them. In that, my Dad made the choice to go to war and it is each man or woman's choice as to whether or not they make that sacrifice and that is something that --- live or die --- can never be taken away from them. The ONLY reason I am here today is because of those who ultimately made it possible. And while I don't fully understand what drove their personal commitment, I am thankful for those sacrifices and I honor them.

This Memorial Day I am most thankful for my Grandpa who by the grace of God is still with us, but almost paid the ultimate sacrifice in the Korean War. Im also thankful for the sniper who saved his life (who, I believe lost his life in that war). My grandpa was bayoneted in the back, and as the enemy went to pull the trigger to use the recoil of the rifle to pull the bayonet out he was shot in the head by a US sniper. My Grandpa never got to meet the sniper that saved his life, but because of that man my Grandpa was able to return home and have a family.

My brother is currently serving in the Navy as a Helo pilot and I pray that I never have to observe memorial day on his behalf.

Thank you to all the men and women who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our great country. You are gone, but never forgotten.

Merica' :mug:

My dad, a seabee that built the runways to bomb Japan in the Philippines & FIL who chased Rommel across North africa to Sicily. My older brother & my buddy Charlie, the gentle giant, both serving in Vietnam, but only My brother returning alive. Thanks for giving your all, fellas! :mug:

We owe an incredible debt to all who made the ultimate sacrifice in service to our country. Having dug a bit into my family's history, I found that I had a Great Great Uncle named Thomas Jackson in Ingersoll Canada who enlisted in the Second Canadian Expeditionary Forces during World War I (Part of the Black Watch from what I've been told) and saw action in Belgium, where he was killed in action after throwing himself on top of a German grenade in order to save the other troops in the trench.

Grandpa on my dad's side served in the army during WWII. I believe he said he worked in kitchen patrol. I wonder if he meant it as a joke. I don't recall any stories from his service days.

Uncle Johnny (Mom's Brother) died in Vietnam. Was told he was killed by grenade. I never knew him, but grandma called me Johnny an awful lot!

Father-in-Law passed away this February. He had MDS, which has been linked to Agent Orange. He was a linesman in Vietnam and spent a lot of time putting up telephone poles and cables (When he wasn't drinking with buddies, as many of his buddies have mentioned...)

A great Uncle, Bud, who served in WWII. (I just found out recently.)

Back