Mellow IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purebloom

Reaction score
Okay... I just bottled my first batch ever on Wednesday. It was an IPA extract kit from LD Carlson / Brewer's Best. I messed up tremendously along the way, all the while being assured it wasn't a big deal by helpful voices on this forum.... and told that my errors weren't that tragic. Well, I think those who told me this were correct!

So far so good.... I took a couple drinks once we finished bottling (this past Wednesday) and other than the beer being flat, it tasted delicious. However, the ABV is nearly a percent lower than the suggested/expected ABV results. I know this is due to some of the mistakes I made. So, was I successful? The beer tastes great, but it isn't your usual IPA... it's a bit more mellow.

I'm happy with the results because during this first brewing attempt I learned a great deal... this forum provides tons of information, but actually brewing you learn a lot! And although I "messed up" and it tastes a bit more mellow, the taste is still a million times better than a lof the crap out there that's in our grocery stores. I actually quite like the taste.... I love a strong IPA, but a mellow one ain't so bad either.

So, cheers to all of you brewmasters for offering up wonderful advice to me and to others! Next time I will have a better understanding of the steps and my beer should be more like it is expected to be and still taste great.

Thanks again!

PS - I might be jumping the gun, because it was just bottled.... so it may still turn out like shiittaay (No, not like Chimay).

Should only get better as time goes on, not worse. I've had 2 batches that tasted awful at 3 weeks and were exceptional at 3 months; something magic really does happen during aging.

Try to keep a sixer for 3 months and taste it then so you get an idea of how your beer changed over time.

Back