Megapot size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwabeer

Reaction score
So, I have a friend who's got a MegaPot 1.2 10 gal system for sale brand new. I could probably get a deal on it, but I'm wondering if it'll work for me? I currently brew one pot, on the stove batches. But I'd like to go into All Grain.
I know just because it's available, doesn't mean it's the right setup for me. I could probably get it for $430? But are there better options? I'm definetly into high gravity 10%+ kind of beers. I haven't done over 5 gal finished batches, but I wouldn't be opposed. My goal is probably soda kegs, and doing experimental batches. Even though, I only have bottled. Kegging and all grain is the next obvious step. What are your thoughts or recommendations? Thanks in advance

I use a 10-gallon Spike kettle for 5-gallon batches, and it works fine. I haven't had any boilovers. The kettle is not the concern with all-grain; if you want to be able to do high-gravity beers, you need to make sure the mash-lauter tun (MLT) is large enough to handle 20+ lb of grain. I haven't done any high-gravity beers yet, so someone with more experience in that realm will have to chime in on MLT sizing. I have a 10-gallon MLT, but the largest grain bill I've done so far has been 14.25 lb for a 7% ABV IPA. I'd guess there was probably room for 20 lb + water (but I'm just guessing).

What else (e.g., MLT, burner, fermenters) is he selling with that kettle? A 10-gallon MegaPot 1.2 is only ~$200 brand new.

You definitely don't need 2 10-gallon kettles, if that's what "the system" is you're eyeing up buying from your friend.

One 10 gallon kettle is plenty large for boiling 5-6 gallon brews. Mash in a converted cooler, and batch sparge.

Now if you want to do full volume BIAB, which is the acronym for "Brew in a Bag," (with no sparges or very minimal ones), you'd need a 15 gallon kettle for 5-6 gallon batches, as the kettle has to hold ALL the water and grain for your batch.

How are you going to heat your kettle? Brewing indoors or outdoors?

I use a 10-gallon Spike kettle for 5-gallon batches, and it works fine. I haven't had any boilovers. The kettle is not the concern with all-grain; if you want to be able to do high-gravity beers, you need to make sure the mash-lauter tun (MLT) is large enough to handle 20+ lb of grain. I haven't done any high-gravity beers yet, so someone with more experience in that realm will have to chime in on MLT sizing. I have a 10-gallon MLT, but the largest grain bill I've done so far has been 14.25 lb for a 7% ABV IPA. I'd guess there was probably room for 20 lb + water (but I'm just guessing).

What else (e.g., MLT, burner, fermenters) is he selling with that kettle? A 10-gallon MegaPot 1.2 is only ~$200 brand new.

I just think he’s selling whatever is in with that kit from Northern Brewer. Along with glass carboys and the generic homebrew stuff. Nothing special, but that stuff I already have.

Or would I be better off with an all-in-one system? Some of those systems do look cool, and the prices have been dropping... I know I should also get into kegging. Bottling sucks.

Yeah that’s the one I was looking at. It looks simple and legit and perfect for what I’d like to do. Unless anyone has a different opinion I might save up for a couple checks and make it happen.
You’re not going to do any high gravity 10+% beers with an Anvil Foundry unless you plan on adding extract. Check out the grain capacity. I have the 6.5, grain capacity is about 8lbs. The 10.5 says it has a 16 lb grain capacity

You’re not going to do any high gravity 10+% beers with an Anvil Foundry unless you plan on adding extract. Check out the grain capacity. I have the 6.5, grain capacity is about 8lbs. The 10.5 says it has a 16 lb grain capacity
Oh, I forgot the OP was interested in high gravity. Good catch!

Oh, I forgot the OP was interested in high gravity. Good catch!
I heard they do make an adapter for the 10.5 that would let you do smaller batches with it. I think its discussed in another thread. You could probably use the 10.5 to brew higher gravity 3 gallon batches or something. Read what others said about it, how well it works, etc

Ok so back to the drawing board? I definitely want a system where I can do high gravity. Like, high high gravity if needed..🤣

Ok so back to the drawing board? I definitely want a system where I can do high gravity. Like, high high gravity if needed..🤣
I see 2 viable options:
  1. Stick with a 10 gallon kettle and a large enough converted cooler as mash tun. For example, my 54 quart (13.5 gallon) rectangular cooler mash tun can very comfortably accommodate the grist and mash water for a 5.5-6 gallon 1.100 batch at 1.5 quarts per pound of grain. Omit the (batch) sparge or do it once with a small amount (for higher gravity) or twice (for longer boil). I never went higher than 1.100, but there was space left for more. If you need much higher gravity, get a larger cooler or mash twice.
  2. Get a brewing urn (such as the Foundry) for your regular gravity batches (say up to 1.070-1.080) and use it to boil high gravity batches, but mashed in a separate, converted cooler. In 2013 the Coleman Xtreme cooler cost me $22 (good old Sears) plus $15 in parts and a few hours of labor.

Manifold shown upside down for the picture. ;)

CPVC Manifold_1200.jpg

Sounds like the cheaper option is the 10 Gal pot and cooler. Any ones you might recommend?

What bwible says is golden. Many of us have bought equipment that did not meet our long term need. You just identified needing a system to make big beers. Ask, what volume is your finished brewery capacity?

you are on the right track asking for opinions on this. You will be less likely to buy the same gear twice.

I suppose eventually sky's the limit? I basically want a system that I can do pilot batches and experimental beers. Volume isn't a concern as of right now. I'd like to learn about the brewing process, have some fun, and get into kegging. When the time comes, be able to bottle a few 22ozers, and gain support. I know ingredients are a big cost, so I'd like to save my money for that. I don't have the capital for a big fancy system, but I also want equipment that will last. I'll pay for quality, but over the top stuff, I don't need right now.

Back