Megapot rattling in the bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaglewwit

Reaction score
I just got a 15g Masht Tun from www.homebrewstuff.com , it didn't say Megapot, but the specs are the same as is the price so I assume it is.

Anyhow, I just did my first all grain batch. I am happy to say it all went as planned and looks to be doing well.

The problem is that when I was cleaning the pot there was a rattling sound in the base. It sounded like sand was trapped in the bottom between metal plies. It didn't do this out of the box, only after use. Anyone else have this problem or know what it is?

What it is is the aluminum was not sandwiched in the bottom correctly and its not a good thing. I would contact homebrewstuff and let them know your problem.

I checked with the manufacturer, they told me that occasionally a burr or metal debris can be trapped around the edge during manufacture, it is not a defect in the pot. They also explained that there is a small triangular chamber around the edge (the aluminum plate is square edged, but the outer Stainless is angled up toward the pot) anyway this area can also get some water in it and it can bubble out during heating. The pot is warranteed if there is any bonding issue between the plates, otherwise they said relax and have a homebrew. I do not get these pots from northern brewer, but I think we both get them from the same manufacturer as they are identacle from what I can tell.

Looks just like the pot I got from MoreBeer. Mine makes the same sound. Sounds like a small piece of metal. I haven't had any problems brewing with it. Great pot, super strong.

Back