Megapot options and burner question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreiz

Reaction score
I am going to make a jump into full boils by getting a 10gal MegaPot and a burner. Some questions:

1. Do I need a ball valve on this kettle or not? Do you find it's easier to drain wort via the valve or just auto-siphon it out?
  2. If I get a ball valve, do I also need a pick-up tube inside the kettle?
  3. What kind of burner should I get to strike a good balance between power and economy? NB options are here.

I am going to make a jump into full boils by getting a 10gal MegaPot and a burner. Some questions:

1. Do I need a ball valve on this kettle or not? Do you find it's easier to drain wort via the valve or just auto-siphon it out? You don't *need* a ball valve but it makes things easier. I used my auto siphon for a while before equipping my keggle with a ball valve.
  2. If I get a ball valve, do I also need a pick-up tube inside the kettle? That would depend on your plans. False bottom, hopstopper, bazooka T, ect...? Some require dip tube, some don't. It also depends on how far above the bottom the valve is mounted.
  3. What kind of burner should I get to strike a good balance between power and economy? NB options are here. I have and personally love the SQ-14. I see the price has risen on amazon since I got mine. I paid $50 and if you shop around you may be able to find a similar price. It is VERY sturdy and I've had no trouble with the burner at all.

Hope this helps. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would depend on your plans. False bottom, hopstopper, bazooka T, ect...? Some require dip tube, some don't. It also depends on how far above the bottom the valve is mounted.

I don't plan on using it as MLT, so no false bottom. I will use only pellet hops, so no bazooka screen. Haven't considered a hopstopper yet. Not sure about exact height of the MegaPot ball valve, but you can see a pic here:

SSmegapot.jpg

Check out Update International pots - same as MegaPot - only less $$$

Instawares or Waresdirect seem to have best prices.

Consider 15 gallon pot as it will save you the trouble of upgrading in the future - and you know you will.

samc, thank you, but I was asking about MegaPots specifically because I want to avoid having to drill and install things myself (yes, I'm lazy). I also know that 15gal won't work in my current situation, so I am looking at 10gal.

Back