MegaPot All Grain System?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocC

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with the MegaPot all grain system? Looking to purchase an all grain system on a budget and curious as to your experiences, knowledge, and expertise!

I have no experience of such a system but for the price I would go for an electric all in one to be honest there are lots of them at that price. I use a Grainfather S40 and have made really good beers with it . It must be said though you do need a fermentation vessel to get all the way to beer. I use a brew monk 32L SS conical which ran me to 189€ but plastic 30L buckets do the job too for €15 a piece . BIAB is a great starter for cheap money but I defo prefer my all in one Grainfather. The chances are if, and you will :bigmug:, get hooked you will be moving up to something more sophisticated before you know it. The thing I like about the all in one is it does make reproducibly good beers. Life is full of lessons and to be honest I started BIAB , gas heater and also with a cheap grain crusher... honestly I wish I had not wasted my money because it is a hobby that takes a hold. Having said all of that there are a great many good beers made with the very simplest of equipment and not a great deal of money involved I am certain many on here would attest to that.

Is that because of the ease of adding all the water up front? Trying to replicate brewhouse brewing as close as possible at home set up. Thanks IslandLizard!

Do you mean you're trying to replicate professional brewing systems? Why?

If I only had $500 to spend, I'd get the Anvil Foundry 10.5 and run it on a 240V outlet for speed.

Last edited:
Do you mean you're trying to replicate professional brewing systems? Why?

If I only had $500 to spend, I'd get the Anvil Foundry 10.5 and run it on a 240V outlet for speed.
Thanks for the suggestion Bobby_M.

My reasoning, right or wrong, is because I only have experience brewing on a 1.5 bbl system in a nano. Since scaling up from there is similar to the same time input as well as steps in the process, I guess I was just trying to scale down for home use with a similar process or set up. That’s likely due to my unfamiliarity with home brew setups and the all in ones and I’m likely overthinking it! Ididn’t want to get into a situation where the process was different and not transferable or the recipes easily transferable back to larger as I’m trying to learn more to scale. I appreciate any knowledge you can share.

Thanks for the suggestion Bobby_M.

My reasoning, right or wrong, is because I only have experience brewing on a 1.5 bbl system in a nano. Since scaling up from there is similar to the same time input as well as steps in the process, I guess I was just trying to scale down for home use with a similar process or set up. That’s likely due to my unfamiliarity with home brew setups and the all in ones and I’m likely overthinking it! Ididn’t want to get into a situation where the process was different and not transferable or the recipes easily transferable back to larger as I’m trying to learn more to scale. I appreciate any knowledge you can share.
Can also go a bit higher for the right system. I would kick myself if there was a much better one for only a few hundred more!

what is your budget for an electric system, fermenter and how many gallons do you want to brew at a time?
5 gallons seems to be the standard that I’m seeing for homebrewer‘s so I would assume a 10 gallon system. It’s like most things though, the more I look at the more confusing it can get so I’m open to suggestions.

Ideally $500-$700 but if it’s not necessary I can put that to good use elsewhere…3 teenagers are expensive!

5 gallons seems to be the standard that I’m seeing for homebrewer‘s so I would assume a 10 gallon system. It’s like most things though, the more I look at the more confusing it can get so I’m open to suggestions.

Ideally $500-$700 but if it’s not necessary I can put that to good use elsewhere…3 teenagers are expensive!
I have a grainfather G40 and I ove it, but its about $1500

This thread seems to be going along the lines of "all in one" systems or the Mega Pot but I can offer the system I use. Have you considered a different route for your brewing system?

I use a modified cooler as the mashtun and hot water from a converted electric water heater. After the mash wort is pumped into the boil kettle then after the boil, pumped through a plate chiller to the fermenter. Sure, lots of pieces of equipment to deal with but you can swap one out for an upgrade easily and from a system build you can start out real simple.

Nothing wrong with the already mentioned systems but just another idea to ponder.

This thread seems to be going along the lines of "all in one" systems or the Mega Pot but I can offer the system I use. Have you considered a different route for your brewing system?

I use a modified cooler as the mashtun and hot water from a converted electric water heater. After the mash wort is pumped into the boil kettle then after the boil, pumped through a plate chiller to the fermenter. Sure, lots of pieces of equipment to deal with but you can swap one out for an upgrade easily and from a system build you can start out real simple.

Nothing wrong with the already mentioned systems but just another idea to ponder.
Thanks OakIslandBrewery, I think this is where I'm at. I understand why many like the electric home brewing setup and the ease of the all in one (and maybe someday I'll be right there with them), but I think there is a lot to learn by starting with a multiple component grain system. For ease of use and less cleanup for home brewing, looks like the all in ones would be hard to beat, but I'm okay with trading that for learning through each step of the process. My guess is that most people started where I am talking about and then at some point switched to the all in ones, like I said, that may be my future.

Is that because of the ease of adding all the water up front? Trying to replicate brewhouse brewing as close as possible at home set up. Thanks IslandLizard!
Notwithstanding your rationale for a multiple vessel system, and considering your first post about a budget, The megapot will still require a pump and heat source, where as the AIOs will be easier on your budget.

BIAB has come a long way and arguably is on par with other all grain methods, especially since you can keep in very simple as in a full volume single step mash, or you can easily modify the process, mimicking multi step/vessel techniques.

I don't think using a multi pot/step vessel v a AIO would affect your learning experience the way you think it will. In both cases as you brew you will gain experience on the mash process and why your beer is turning out the way it is. I have learned a tom about mash tuns and lautering simple by comparing those processes to the process and understanding how they both accomplish the same conversion of starches to sugars.

I brew smaller batches but opted for the Anvil Foundry 6.5 - the option and ability to use 110v and 220v was a huge part of my decision making, as was the fact that I was already doing BIAB.

For 5 gal and higher batches, I highly recommend a 220v system if you go electric.

If budget wasn't a factor, I'd tell you to watch Short Circuit Brewer and his 3 vessel Herms set up on YouTube for that close to a brewhouse feeling (he does brew on a number of different AIOs systems as well).

Whatever path you take, you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely - no matter what route you pick to go with you'll learn a lot as you go. It's a great idea to explore all the options available today (and there are many) and what folks here like to use. Just like most folks I started out with a single pot on the kitchen stove, fermenting in a plastic bucket, or trash can in my case. Start with the basics of systems and grow from there as you gain experience and knowledge.

Even though I have all these pieces of equipment in my current set I still look at other systems. Expanding is just part of the brewing path we are on.

I think there is a lot to learn by starting with a multiple component grain system. [...] but I'm okay with trading that for learning through each step of the process.
All grain is all grain, whether brewed on a 3-vessel system, an All-in-One (AIO), or anything in between. The wort and final beer each produces should be equally good, side by side.

I doubt the brewing method makes a difference in learning how to brew good beer, because the sub-processes are all the same. They may be executed a bit differently, but yield the same or at least similar results.

Over the past 3-5 years quite a few of my brew friends (in various clubs) have switched to AIO brewing systems. Their beers are still wonderful, I doubt anyone can tell what kind of system they were brewed on.

A few years ago a couple, fairly new to homebrewing, won our club's Homebrewer of the Year award, meaning they scored the most points over a year long of monthly club competitions (there are 10 competitions in a year). They use an AIO! (a GrainFather, IIRC).

I use a 54 qt converted (rectangular) cooler as mash/lauter tun, and an 8-gallon kettle for heating water and boiling wort. 5-6 gallon batches are the right spot for me. And even those occasionally get split, using different hops, yeast, and such. That "system" gives me the flexibility I want and need.
I brew in the kitchen on a 220V/3500W induction plate. It's all very manageable, the equipment is compact, lots of countertops, cleanup is easy, and the sink is nearby. Just keep spills to a minimum. ;)

Like what for example?

I wouldn't suggest that you don't gain some insight into how pro brewing works when you use a multivessel system but the OP already explained that's how he's already familiar so that's kind of moot.

I was a 3-vessel purist for years and only tried single vessel eBIAB to "prove" that it wasn't a valid brewing system. I had to eat my shoe because the beer was better and brew days were now 4 hours or less. Now 80%+ of the best homebrewers I'm aware of use single vessel eBIAB systems and I'm never going back either. For me it comes down to this question, is the goal to make wort or to make wort and clean more equipment?

I wouldn't suggest that you don't gain some insight into how pro brewing works when you use a multivessel system but the OP already explained that's how he's already familiar so that's kind of moot.

I was a 3-vessel purist for years and only tried single vessel eBIAB to "prove" that it wasn't a valid brewing system. I had to eat my shoe because the beer was better and brew days were now 4 hours or less. Now 80%+ of the best homebrewers I'm aware of use single vessel eBIAB systems and I'm never going back either. For me it comes down to this question, is the goal to make wort or to make wort and clean more equipment?
I did exactually the same thing, I was very stuck on my big rig and even bought a brew shack until I dialed in my anvil, I don't think I'm going back, the beer is even better lol

Thats why I'm asking...if he has knowledge of a pro system and experience what are you expecting to learn from home brewing that you wouldn't have experience with on a pro system.

Thats why I'm asking...if he has knowledge of a pro system and experience what are you expecting to learn from home brewing that you wouldn't have experience with on a pro system.
That's the question Sammy86 (or maybe it's the wrong question or not a question at all!). Are all home brewing systems similarly transferable to larger scales with some simple math (i.e., your favorite home brew recipe easily replicated at larger scale such as nano or micro) no matter if its an all in one BIAB or a multi-vessel system such as Bobby_M used to use?

For those who have been home brewing for awhile it might be a silly question but I really don't know...maybe its all the same and just a preference on ease of cleanup and less time!

Thanks y'all.

Notwithstanding your rationale for a multiple vessel system, and considering your first post about a budget, The megapot will still require a pump and heat source, where as the AIOs will be easier on your budget.

BIAB has come a long way and arguably is on par with other all grain methods, especially since you can keep in very simple as in a full volume single step mash, or you can easily modify the process, mimicking multi step/vessel techniques.

I don't think using a multi pot/step vessel v a AIO would affect your learning experience the way you think it will. In both cases as you brew you will gain experience on the mash process and why your beer is turning out the way it is. I have learned a tom about mash tuns and lautering simple by comparing those processes to the process and understanding how they both accomplish the same conversion of starches to sugars.

I brew smaller batches but opted for the Anvil Foundry 6.5 - the option and ability to use 110v and 220v was a huge part of my decision making, as was the fact that I was already doing BIAB.

For 5 gal and higher batches, I highly recommend a 220v system if you go electric.

If budget wasn't a factor, I'd tell you to watch Short Circuit Brewer and his 3 vessel Herms set up on YouTube for that close to a brewhouse feeling (he does brew on a number of different AIOs systems as well).

Thanks for the info NSMikeD!

That's the question Sammy86 (or maybe it's the wrong question or not a question at all!). Are all home brewing systems similarly transferable to larger scales with some simple math (i.e., your favorite home brew recipe easily replicated at larger scale such as nano or micro) no matter if its an all in one BIAB or a multi-vessel system such as Bobby_M used to use?

For those who have been home brewing for awhile it might be a silly question but I really don't know...maybe its all the same and just a preference on ease of cleanup and less time!

Thanks y'all.

It's a good question. There are some factors commercial brewers have to deal with that are not transferable to/from small batch size, like how long it takes to cool wort and your late hop additions, and the pure weight of beer and wort has (ie pressure) on yeast.

I do know one thing, I often see a lot of the household names in commercial craft beer using their old home brew set ups to brew small batch experiments that might make it to their commercial line up.

there is nothing wrong with the old fashioned DIY mash tun igloo cooler conversion and a stainless steel pot and bucket fermentor to start with to learn classic multi-vessel brewing. With the money you save, start the tricked out brew room fund where you can eventually build that sink and 3 vessel herms set up with stainless steel fermentor (really you gotta check out Short Circuits set up on one of his brew day streams on you tube) and immerse yourself in a pro brew experience. FWIW, as a BIAB brewer, if I had the room, the funds and drank more than 20 pints in a month, I'd feel totally confident making the switch to that type of set up and process based on what I have learned with my "simple" BIAB set up. I do take pH readings, modify my water to specific style parameters, pressure ferment, make no 02 pressure transfers to a keg and a few other techniques that I never considered when I first did BIAB. In other words, I suspect the pros are focused on a lot of details that really aren't equipment driven. That is what I meant by whatever you choose you'll be fine.

Sure, we often discuss the practical limits of BIAB batch sizes and my personal opinion is that it starts becoming problematic above 15 gallon batches. When I cook food at home, I don't set it up like a busy restaurant in case I want to open a restaurant some day. I think brewing for the batch size you're making now, while keeping it efficient and manageable is the right move.

Has anyone had experience with the MegaPot all grain system? Looking to purchase an all grain system on a budget and curious as to your experiences, knowledge, and expertise!
BTW, I am not sure if that kit is supposed to be an "upgrade" system for somebody that already has a boil kettle. It has two kettles, and the description indicates that one is the Hot Liquor Tank and one is the Mash/Lauter Tun.

I am pretty happy with BIAB brewing myself. I do find that using propane, which forces me outside where I have to work around the weather and hours of daylight, is one of my limitations.

As far as some questions about homebrew vs pro brewing...in my limited experience homebrewing with a few different types of equipment, and assisting a few brew days (in the 20 barrel size), I would say that brewing 5 gallon batches on any homebrew equipment is pretty similar but any decent sized pro system is quite a different experience.

Back