Medline O2 Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillDCat

Reaction score
Hello All,

I work right next to a medical O2 distributor and several years ago the owner gave me a regulator and tank. I tried it for hangover headaches and couldn't really tell if it helped. Anyway, I'm hoping to use it for oxygenate my wort. I bought a diffusion stone. It appears to provide a continuous 0 or 1-6 LPM. Is there any reason this regulator wouldn't work?

regulator.jpg

Also, does the following process seem correct:

1) Chill and transfer wort to primary
2) Submerge stone in glass of starsan to check that O2 is flowing
3) Submerge and stir at 1 LPM for 60 seconds
4) Replace in starsan
5) Pitch yeast

Austin Homebrew's (where I purchased the stone) states:
If using pure oxygen, about 40 seconds are required. Try it in two 20 second bursts: one before pitching yeast, and another 3 hours after pitching. High gravity beers may require more time because oxygen does not dissolve as easily in liquids with a high specific gravity.

Though everything I have read says NOT to oxygenate after pitching. Thought?

Thanks!

Though everything I have read says NOT to oxygenate after pitching. Thought?

Looks like that regulator should work just fine, and your process is fine but I would let it sit in the sanitizer first without the O2 blowing so it can get into the pores. Actually, I sanitize it without pushing any O2. Usually you'll want to push some O2 afterwards to ensure a clean stone so the pores are blown clear.

As for Austin's instructions, never seen that recommended. Can't say if there's any real negative affect to it, don't think so, but honestly most of us just do one full minute and that's it with no problems. I've never had any issue just doing the one minute then pitch the yeast, been working great for me.

Rev.

Thanks Rev!

Followup question: in the case of dry yeast I have read that it is not necessary to oxygenate. I also read it is almost impossible to over saturate the 02 at this stage so can it hurt?

Cheers!

Back