Mecca Grade Rimrock and Opal 22 malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandbrew212

Reaction score
Just ordered some Mecca Grade malts and was wondering if anyone has experience with these.

Planning on doing a Vienna Lager with the Rimrock Vienna Rye at 50% of the grain bill (other 50% pilsner). Is this overkill?
I really want to get a good idea of the flavor this malt gives off.

For the Opal 22 I plan on doing about 20% Opal and 80% pilsner. Is this too much? I know crystal malts should not exceed 10% but once again want this to shine.

Both would be about 20 ibus with a noble and using either San Francisco Lager yeast or 3470.

If anyone has experience with these malts please let me know! Cant wait to give these a try!

Just ordered some Mecca Grade malts and was wondering if anyone has experience with these.

Planning on doing a Vienna Lager with the Rimrock Vienna Rye at 50% of the grain bill (other 50% pilsner). Is this overkill?
I really want to get a good idea of the flavor this malt gives off.

For the Opal 22 I plan on doing about 20% Opal and 80% pilsner. Is this too much? I know crystal malts should not exceed 10% but once again want this to shine.

Both would be about 20 ibus with a noble and using either San Francisco Lager yeast or 3470.

If anyone has experience with these malts please let me know! Cant wait to give these a try!
I brewed a Rye IPA with Rimrock. I used it at about 16% of the grainbill and the remainder of the grain bill was split 50/50 Rahr 2-Row/Crisp Maris Otter. I thought it was fairly prevalent even at 16%.

It came across with the typical rye spice/dryness and what I perceived as a cardboard/paper quality (not the same type of cardboard that is associated with oxidation). It was alright in a highly hopped beer, but I don’t think I would want 50% in a lighter lager. I’d look closer to 20-25% max. I haven't used it again, but I would be willing to brew another IPA with it, probably in the 10% range. I think it would play nice with some med/darker crystal.

I've always been curious about trying Opal 22. I'd say 20% is definitely on the high side (depending on OG), I'd probably use it at closer to 10% (15% max). Make sure you're using a base malt you're familiar with and that should be plenty to understand the character.

Back