Mecca Grade Estate Malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those with experience using the Mecca Grade Shaniko (White Winter Wheat) Malt.. Does it taste as described "like cookie dough right off the spoon"?

Oddly enough, it kinda does. I tasted the wort after the mash and boil and there is a very subtle cookie flavor. I used 3 lbs of Shaniko and 12 lbs of Lamonta. I was actually worried it would make my IPA taste weird but I have enough hops in it that the cookie flavor doesn't really come through. I think Shaniko could be really good in a sweet stout recipe.

Here's a pic of my NEIPA with 12lbs Lamonta and 3lbs Shaniko.

20200329_174238.jpg

Looks yummy! Well, is it?
I've only used a bit of Shaniko so far and am almost out of Lamonta. Boy, it's made my beers better!

It is! Maybe it's a waste to use premium malts with a lot of hops but I can taste the difference that they add so I will keep doing it. I would like to try a recipe that lets the malt flavor come through more.

Any feed back on Gateway ? I'm curious to give this a go, and thinking about how I should mash it.
Cheers!

If I drive up there, will they sell me 10 pounds? Or do I need to buy an entire bag? I'm asking because I'd like to get a variety of malts.

If I drive up there, will they sell me 10 pounds? Or do I need to buy an entire bag? I'm asking because I'd like to get a variety of malts.

They have a tasting room, and do tours or the Malt House. I know people have gotten smaller amounts there, but I think you need to call ahead to get sorted. In Portland, FH Steinbarts carries their stuff - last time I was in there I believe they had their entire collection.

I just tapped a pilsner with the mecca grade pilsner and vienna malts and US Tettnang hops. Definitely the best pilsner I've made. Super rich flavor. I may be sticking with this even though it costs more, at least for my pilsners. I have a SMASH pale ale fermenting right now with the mecca grade pale malt I'm excited to try.

I’ve used it quite a bit and agree with Denny - it brings something different to the table. And for 5-10 gallon batches it is certainly worth the money.
But on the flip side, as I’m now venturing into a commercial endeavor, I don’t see how it makes sense even at the 1bbl scale. My base malt cost would almost triple, and I don’t see it adding a distinct enough taste to justify it as the subtly will be lost on most folks.

Last edited:
It is indeed a tough market! Compass Brewing PDX is now (as of July 1) OLCC licensed production brewery based in Sellwood. We are working through some test batches now and hope to have some taps in a couple of places before the end of the summer. I’ll be sure and update you when we get the locations nailed down. Longer term plan is for brick and mortar, but the current situation making it longer term!
and I would absolutely love to use Mecca grade exclusively- the original concept was to use all locally sourced materials, but it’s really hard to do. I totally get the time and effort they have to put into their product and understand the economics of it. But it doesn’t pencil out for me right now. When we expand, it might be possible to make it worth a large order from them and drive over and pick it up - gives me and excuse to throw some flies on the D for an afternoon anyway.

I picked up some or the rimrock rye and am going to use it soon, but I've never done a rye beer before. What % of it are you guys using in your beers? It's fairly light(4.8L) I just don't want to overdo the spice

I use 15-20% but I like rye. Rimrock is great too. I noticed the difference right away. But, you may want to start at about 10% if you've not used to rye. Plus, unless you're doing a no sparge, you will do better to use some rice hauls in the mash.

I go 16% in my favorite Saison recipe. I like to use low amounts in my more Trappist style beers too.

FYI, Mecca Grade is now selling by the pound via a Square page: | Mecca Grade Estate Malt
cool, thanks for the heads-up. for the fun of it i priced out a few different orders, and the price was consistently around $87 per sac total (includes ~$25 shipping). i'm relatively close to Madras, about a 5 hour drive away, so YMMV. i pay a little less than that for Maris Otter and euro-pils, so it's certainly not unreasonable... maybe i'll treat myself to a sac or two for my upcoming birthday.

still kicking myself that for the 2017 eclipse i drove through Madras but didn't know about Mecca Grade... would have filled up the trunk.

Last edited:
I’m about 1.5 hrs to Madras, and their farm is about 20 mins from one of my favorite fly fishing spots. That all said, I can’t get out there as often as we need grain unless I buy 20-30 sacks at a time, and can’t afford the outlay right now. Hopefully in the future

Are you able to work directly with Mecca? Their website is pretty easy to navigate. They do wholesale accounts now. [email protected]. I am sure you know of this as you're in the game.
Yes. It’s the shipping that’s tough. But we are committed to using as much local ingredients as possible. We’re using all Imperial yeast, have accounts with Crosby hop farms, and drive to BSG to get our grain weekly! If we get big enough to get pallets at a time, the shipping gets easier. And I’d make excuses to go throw a few flies on the D and grab a truckload of Mecca Grade on the way home!

Anyone have experience with their "Gateway Under-modified Wind Malt?" Considering giving that a fling, after reading about Luftmalz in Fal Allen's book on Gose.

I am planning on getting some Skagit Purple Obsidian here pretty soon.
on page 1 there was some chatter about Skagit's purple Obsidian malt (apologies for the slight change in subject... maybe we should call this the PWN-grown malt thread?). i just got my hands on 20 pounds of it.

any reports on people's experience with this malt? what percentage did you use? what were the taste contributions, if any? tips for use?

i'm thinking of doing 50-60% Obsidian, the rest pils, simple noble'ish hopping, and splitting the batch between a few different yeast (probably a british strain, a saison and a kviek).

Has anybody made a Vienna lager from Vanora malt?
I like my Vienna’s on the upper side of the ibu’s.
So I was wondering if Mecca’s Vanora is “richer”. If so I’ll probably bump up my hop.

@AzOr I have a bag of the Vanora right now. It is a bit richer. It also has a much higher diastolic power. The Lamonta has enough enzyme in it to dry out an ale. If you get a chance, go visit Mecca. I was there in a June and got to try some of their house beers, and got a tour from Seth who is an awesome guy. It’s a great road trip.

Has anybody made a Vienna lager from Vanora malt?
I like my Vienna’s on the upper side of the ibu’s.
So I was wondering if Mecca’s Vanora is “richer”. If so I’ll probably bump up my hop.

I'm late as hell, but yes this was the first "All Mecca" beer I made. I used like 80% vanora, a hint of Metolius and some Pelton. And wow it was intense, too much. Great nutty notes though. If I were to do it again, I'd go probably 45% vanora, 5% metolius, and 50% Pelton.

The only malts I would recommend using more than 50% of the grist are Gateway, Pelton and Lamonta. And that's not a knock on Seth's work, it's an achievement that you can cut it in half, use a more generic and cheap malt, and still get incredible results. It's like working with a potent spice in cooking.

Total aside - I have moved my Saison base recipe to Gateway + unmalted wheat berries and a pinch of Vanora, it's great.

@AzOr I have a bag of the Vanora right now. It is a bit richer. It also has a much higher diastolic power. The Lamonta has enough enzyme in it to dry out an ale. If you get a chance, go visit Mecca. I was there in a June and got to try some of their house beers, and got a tour from Seth who is an awesome guy. It’s a great road trip.
Good to know. I've enjoyed all their malts except for Opal 44. I found it overly sweet when adding 10 oz to an IPA a couple years back. My wife didn't pick up on the sweetness, so it's just a preference thing.

As far as road trip..Yes I need to get over there. We usually camp in one of the Cascade lakes at least twice a year. This year we've been heading to the coast to avoid smoke and fire. I think a fall trip is in order.

Planning on paying them a visit this next summer while we're on the family camping trip at La Pine SP. Who knows, might come back with a couple bags, Wife should be thrilled.

Slightly off topic-
Steinbart’s is no longer doing the virtual grain bag thing. I’m not sure of the reason but that’s a real bummer.
More reason to stock up on base malts, including Mecca.

Back