measuring sulphites using water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnybrew91

Reaction score
I saw a YouTube video where a guy dissolves 50 grams powdered sulphite into 500 ML of water. He said that a teaspoon of the liquid would equal a Camden tablet( could have been a tablespoon I forget).
Will the sulphite be fine for long periods of time in the water? It seems like an easy and cheap way to do it.

I saw a YouTube video where a guy dissolves 50 grams powdered sulphite into 500 ML of water. He said that a teaspoon of the liquid would equal a Camden tablet( could have been a tablespoon I forget).
Will the sulphite be fine for long periods of time in the water? It seems like an easy and cheap way to do it.

Not too long- it dissipates when dissolved.

You can use a lot less, 10 gram per 100 ml (or 5 per 50, whatever), for example, and then use a teaspoon of the liquid and not worry about wasting it.

Thanks for that info because I remember hearing that sulphites dissipate in wine but I wasn't sure about water. So even if the water is sealed with a tight lid the sulphites are going to dissipate? Any idea of a timeline or how fast it could happen?

Thanks for that info because I remember hearing that sulphites dissipate in wine but I wasn't sure about water. So even if the water is sealed with a tight lid the sulphites are going to dissipate? Any idea of a timeline or how fast it could happen?

No, but I wouldn't save it and use it. I'd make up only as much as I needed, and then discard.

Back