Measuring Mash Efficiency with Beersmith (Preboil wort temperature)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin C

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to know if wort temperature is factored when measuring mash efficiency in Beersmith.

These are my measures
1. Pre-boil volume taken from calibrated factory markings on my boil kettle
Temperature of wort is 170F at this stage

2. Representative samle taken and cooled to 60F. Gravity reading taken

Result is gravity points obtained from a known mass of grain to give mash efficiency

My problem is that the wort is less dense at 170F than at 60F giving an increased volume.

I know 4% shrinkage is usually factored for working out required pre-boil volume in Beersmith but is the same true for the mash efficiency calculation?
What temperature does Beersmith assume the pre-boil wort is at? What shrinkage does it assume in it's calculations if any?

Are there good online calculators I need to use?

If this question has already been asked in another thread please point me in the right direction. I could not find it

Thanks in advance for any help

I have always entered in the volume of the hot wort as I have measured it. From balancing calculations, I figure a 2.25% expansion of the wort at 154F (from engineering tables), I almost always come to less than 2% balance with my final gravity point calculations. I check it every brew just to make sure that my readings are OK. Since my measurement accuracy is around 2%, this comes out right on the money.

I have always entered in the volume of the hot wort as I have measured it. From balancing calculations, I figure a 2.25% expansion of the wort at 154F (from engineering tables), I almost always come to less than 2% balance with my final gravity point calculations. I check it every brew just to make sure that my readings are OK. Since my measurement accuracy is around 2%, this comes out right on the money.

I also enter the measured volume as is but know that without a correction this is inherently flawed. Does Beersmith correct for me?

I suppose one work around would be to measure the gravity in the kettle. ie. place the hydrometer right into the wort. But at 170F I am concerened this would crack the glass. The gravity reading would be too low to allow for the volume being too high.

Try emailing the creator of Beersmith and ask him. Report back answer please.

I chill my sample, and take the reading, if using a hydrometer. It takes less than 10 minutes.

I have pitcher of ice water, and plunge my test jar into it, and stir it up. It cools while I fiddle around with a few other things. I generally recirculate during that time as well, so I'm always doing something preboil (even measuring hops) so I don't mind the few minutes it takes. I usually use my refractometer at that point, but I still compare the two often.

I chill my sample, and take the reading, if using a hydrometer. It takes less than 10 minutes.

I have pitcher of ice water, and plunge my test jar into it, and stir it up. It cools while I fiddle around with a few other things. I generally recirculate during that time as well, so I'm always doing something preboil (even measuring hops) so I don't mind the few minutes it takes. I usually use my refractometer at that point, but I still compare the two often.

I chill my sample and take a reading at 60F. My question relates to the volume of wort at preboil. It is at 170F

Mash efficiency requires both volume and gravity but the density of the sample will be higher than the density in the pot owing to the temperature differential. 60F and 170F respectively when gravity and volume are measured.

Sorry if I was not clear in my post

Back