Measuring alcohol in Non-Alcoholic homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonlovesbeer

BrandonLovesBeer
Reaction score
I'd like to try a non alcoholic beer one of these days. Is there a way to measure, with a hydrometer, to figure out the new ABV after the alcohol boil-off?

I'd like to try a non alcoholic beer one of these days. Is there a way to measure, with a hydrometer, to figure out the new ABV after the alcohol boil-off?

No, not really.

I was trying to de-alcohol my wine, and found that a vinometer didn't work either (not all that accurate anyway, but especially inaccurate at under 8% or in the presence of sugars).

Would comparing hydrometer and refractometer measurements allow you to estimate it?

It is possible to measure alcohol percentage at home.
In The New Cider Maker's Handbook, Claude describes the process and calculations in detail.

Basically you boil a sample of the product to remove the alcohol, then add back distilled water. You can then accurately calculate the alcohol by comparing the difference in density before and after.
You need a high resolution hydrometer.

He explains that vinometer and hydrometer/refractometer methods are probably not sufficiently accurate.

Last edited:
Would comparing hydrometer and refractometer measurements allow you to estimate it?
I think this will do it to a fair approximation, as long as you have a good wort calibration factor for your refractometer and take care with zero point calibration and measurement.

Beersmith has a tool for calculating it, and there are several online, as well as a nonogram (graphical method with a ruler on a piece of paper) in a Zymurgy from last year.

Back