Mead Yeast Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobilecabinworks

Reaction score
I have come up with a Honey Orange Braggot and looking to experiment with a French or Belgian Saison yeast. Was also thinking of the possibility of blending the French Saison with wyeast's sweet mead yeast. Also while looking around I had the thought of using a sake yeast. I dunno. Would have to do some research on that one. Anyway just looking for some input or ideas from you folks. Cheers!

Wyeast sweet mead yeast is a finicky PITA. It seems that yeasts marketed as "mead" yeast can be difficult.

Can't say for braggot, but for traditionals I use mainly D21 or K1V-1116.

I understand that with meads, its often best to ferment the same recipe with different yeasts as different batches and then blend the finished meads.....it prevents dominance issues, where one yeast will out compete the other for sugars and nutrients giving unintended results.....

Yeah the more I read the more I'm thinking the French Saison for the first batch. Might do a split and try 2 yeasts. I'm liking the Saison/belgian strains idea as I will be in Texas when I start this.

I am actually using the Wyeast sweet mead yeast at the moment on a cyser.. primary at 1.13 (yeeehaw) and it seems to be be working away (lots of activity, seems to be clearing nicely).. LHBS guy recommended I try it over D47 or 1118.

I am actually using the Wyeast sweet mead yeast at the moment on a cyser.. primary at 1.13 (yeeehaw) and it seems to be be working away (lots of activity, seems to be clearing nicely).. LHBS guy recommended I try it over D47 or 1118.
Well he was probably talking "from where the sun don't shine".....

It's fair to point out, that some have had good results, but a quick search would also throw up plenty of people, myself included, who have tried it, only to have fermentation problems, like non-starters, stuck ferments, etc etc.

Of the yeasts marketed as "mead yeast", it's the one that seems the hardest work.

Plus the very naming of it is complete bollocks, because while there's plenty of historic recipes out there, they're all rather short on any useful detail, especially the yeast type, let alone some of the other ingredients...

He was spot on about D47 and EC-1118 though. D47 needs to be fermented carefully, below about 70F. Failure to keep the temps down on it, cause quite a fair amount of fusel production - that takes a very long time, if ever, to mellow out. Medsen Fey's analogy is good....... paint thinner.

EC-1118 is, like D47, inasfaras, good meads can be made with it. Personally I find that it just blows the aromatics straight out the airlock, along with some of the more subtle flavouring elements. Yes, if you're making a dry, higher strength, sparkling mead then it "does what it says on the tin" (metaphorically), but for just using it to make traditionals and similar, there's better to be had, and it seems that it's best left in the brewing cupboard for champagne/sparkling lighter brews and restarting stuck ferments IMO.

There's the additional issue with HBS advice as well. Most of the haven't got a clue about meads and just offer generic advice, based on their flawed understanding of honeys etc. A sort of "Champagne yeast and loads of nutrients will do the trick" type advice. When it's plainly obvious that it's not as simple as that.

It's easy to make meads, mediocre meads that is, but not quite so easy to make good meads.......

YMMV
Yeah the more I read the more I'm thinking the French Saison for the first batch. Might do a split and try 2 yeasts. I'm liking the Saison/belgian strains idea as I will be in Texas when I start this.
Not sure of the relevance of being in Texas when you start it, but most yeasts either beer or wine can indeed be used on mead batches. Just look to some of the published data on them, to try and get some idea of the likely results....... well also ingredients like honey quantity in respect of gravity levels for predicted alcohol content, nutrients etc.

It's easy to make meads, mediocre meads that is, but not quite so easy to make good meads.......

touché. I'm in agreeance with that sentiment. However, while I have brewed hundreds of gallons of beer in the far and now recent past, mead has always been a "want to" until late nov last year. I just bottled my first (again, LHBS advice using EC1118) Cherry Ginger Melomel. Maybe the aromatics "blew through the airlock" but I like the taste and the aromatics. Is it "Great?" Who knows? I would like it to settle down (it's got a bit of a bite to it) and I'm willing to give it time to try.

Since I brewed my first, I have resolved to make more batches and have used a D47, sweet mead, bread yeast and D71B.

I am curious, FB, what works for you. Typically? I am, as yet, non-religious and agnostic so far.

Yeah my point with the being in Texas comment is I am looking for a good yeast I can use during this summer as kind of a "summer of brewing house yeast". I will have somewhat limited resources as far as cliimate control is concerned until I can get a ferm-locker up and running.

I'm wanting something that I can use for making good patersbiers/saison/belgian/braggot styles, that will handle the heat. Also something that will give me some good phenols and esters. Looking to make recipes that are simple in ingredients (Pilsner malt) so I can stock up on supplies every so often. I will be in deep east texas and the nearest homebrew supply will be at least a 3 hours drive or by mail. I'm wanting to bulk up on the sacks and buy a grinder as well.

Yeah my buddy has had good luck with the Pasteur Champagne (yellow pack) yeast in his meads so far. Will think about using some of the Lalvin EC-1118 sometime in the future.

Side note: :drunk: Was also thinking about what a lagered/sudo-lagered Braggot would taste like.

Hey FB I would agree with pretty much everything you've said here. When I started brewing mead my lhbs gave me the same story but unfortunately I did not know how mistaken she was yet. I did learn a lot from those, mostly in my quests here and with schramms book as I tried to make my meads better. They are really good now but not yet fantastic. K1v-1116 and 71b along with sna have skyrocketed my progress. I have never used d21 and a quick search seems to show that it's mainly available online or more commonly in much larger quantities. I'm curious where you acquire your d21?

Hey FB I would agree with pretty much everything you've said here. When I started brewing mead my lhbs gave me the same story but unfortunately I did not know how mistaken she was yet. I did learn a lot from those, mostly in my quests here and with schramms book as I tried to make my meads better. They are really good now but not yet fantastic. K1v-1116 and 71b along with sna have skyrocketed my progress. I have never used d21 and a quick search seems to show that it's mainly available online or more commonly in much larger quantities. I'm curious where you acquire your d21?
Beer brewing people make some good stuff, but some of the slightly OCD ways they work, can carry over with unhelpful consequences.

But the bollocks also persists because they drank mead at "Renaissance faire" and other crappy. So "it" must be easy to do.......

For more yeasts than you can shake a hairy stick at, just Google morewine Lalvin yeast. They repackage (apparently) some of the usual suspects, bit also some of the more unusual ones. Ever tried DV10 or uvaferm 43 ?

And no I can't post a link at the moment, I'm laying in the bath trying to wake up as its 0500 here and I'm typing this on my phone.......

I'm not sure if this is the type link that FB was referring to but it is a handy chart on yeast brands and strains:

http://www.winemakermag.com/guide/yeast

I admit that I fell into the "mead yeast" trap with my first batch of traditional, using the wyeast sweet mead smack pack, I wouldn't say it sucked but at the same time it was higher maintainence, needed to be coaxed along for good effect.

I've since moved on to lalvin dry packs and even playing with a Red Star Pasteur Red (advice from an extremely experienced mead maker) in a cherry vanilla melomel that has been impressively vigorous with very little babysitting.

He was spot on about D47 and EC-1118 though. D47 needs to be fermented carefully, below about 70F.
I find D47 to be the perfect winter ferment yeast for me. To save on heating costs, I keep the temp in my house between 58ºF (when away or asleep) and 68ºF, which is a perfect range for D47.

Latest posts

Back