Mead types or names

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinich

Reaction score
We were setting our second batch of Mead experiments the other day and got into a discussion of what constitutes what in Meads.

(Strawberrys used as example)
If we put sliced Strawberries in one primary and then puree'd strawberries into another would the name change?
Is one a Melomel and the other a flavored mead?

Would the flavor change?

Thanks for you input,
Doug

No, both are melomels. The flavor would change because there's more surface area in the pureed strawberries than sliced.

They'd both be classified as melomels. There really isn't a "flavored mead" classification. I guess a "flavored mead" could be made as a traditional mead with extract added for flavor.

As for the flavor, in my experience they too would remain the same. The pureed fruit would ferment faster but it would also be more difficult to rack the liquid from the sediment. Most people would simply halve the strawberries. I like to freeze and then thaw my fruit prior to making mead and wine because the freezing helps break down the fruit a little more.

Aha!
But if you do both spices and fruit would it then become something called Melometheglin? I've made one of those before. :fro:

From the gotmead? site:

Mead Styles

Mead (M.'ee.d) - made with honey, water and yeast optionally with flavoring ingredients
Hydromel (Hy'.dre.mel) - the French name for mead
Sack mead (Sak') - a sweeter mead, with more honey
Melomel (Mel'.o.mel) - mead made with fruit or fruit juice
Metheglin (Me.theg'.lin) - mead made with spices and extracts
Morat (Mor'.at) - mead made with mulberries
Acerglin (Ace'.cerg.lin) - mead made with maple syrup
Pyment (Pie'.ment) - mead made with both honey and grapes
Hippocras (Hip'.po.cras ) - honey, grapes, and spices
Cyser (Sy'.zer) - honey and apples or apple cider (apple juice in Europe) Can also be made with peach, cherry or pear cider
Braggot (Brag'.got)- honey and malt, sort of a mead-beer
Oxymel (Ox'.ee.mel) - mead mixed with wine vinegar
Rhodomel (Road'.o.mel) - honey with attar, a rose petal distillate, or rose petals
Capsicumel (Caps'.sic.cu.mel) - honey with chile peppers
Omphacomel (Ohm'.pha.co.mel) - mead and verjuice, the juice of unripe grapes
T'ej (T'.Ej (Ej as in Edge)) - T'ej is honey, water and hops. It is the national drink of Ethiopia, and has a unique taste
Bochet (Bo-SHAY) - sack mead that has been burnt or charred
Rhyzamel (RISE-uh-mel) - mead made with root vegetables
Lactomel (LACK-toe (as in "big toe")-mel) - mead made with milk

Back