Mead - the homebrew thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! Let us know how it turns out.

What type of honey did you use?
Are you going for a drier mead?
Any plans to put more fruit in at secondary or tertiary fermentation?

I'm always curious why people make certain choices with regards to mead making.
I used texas wildflower honey from the Austin Homebrew store. Some friends gave me a bunch of suggestions on local places so will go that route next time. I was hoping to go with a mead on the sweeter side so it will be interesting to see how it develops and what changes I should make. And yep, I was hoping to add black currants in the secondary. Still deciding how much and for how long though!

Additionally, I have it fermenting at 72 in hopes to speed up the process a little.

Yesterday I noticed that I have a 1/2 gallon of orange blossom honey sitting next to 6 lbs of canned Apricot puree. It got me thinking that maybe I should combine these ingredients in my 3 gallon carboy and make a small batch mead to **** around with.

Today I started thinking about what I could use to ferment it with. Haven't tried any 'sour' meads before, wonder if that would play nicely together. Could also play around with dry hopping it. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

I tried apricots once. It got sour on itself. Not like infected gross but sour. Come to think of it was gross. I dumped it...this was real apricots. You should try it!! Don't try to make it sour though imo...I'll drink whatever u make!

A8ec6LR.jpeg

Off the fruit. Cherries look gross after giving up all their redness.
ABZfwpZ.jpeg

In a bottle.

Yesterday I noticed that I have a 1/2 gallon of orange blossom honey sitting next to 6 lbs of canned Apricot puree. It got me thinking that maybe I should combine these ingredients in my 3 gallon carboy and make a small batch mead to **** around with.

Today I started thinking about what I could use to ferment it with. Haven't tried any 'sour' meads before, wonder if that would play nicely together. Could also play around with dry hopping it. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?
Been really wanting to do a sour mead. My main worry is that it won't get all that funky or interesting bc of all the simple sugars. So I was thinking about making a low gravity mead (~1050ish?), adding some maltodextrin and letting it ride for a while, and letting some de Garde yeast go to town. Another thought I had was to just blend some funky beer into an already fermented mead, though that's not quite the same. Let me know if you get around to doing it or if you have any other ideas!

I'm not sure what alcohol tolerance of some souring yeast/bacteria have but I have seen some non-saccharomyces fermented meads using Brett. A word to the wise if you use brett just know that it typically takes longer to ferment all the sugars out of the must and will take the mead down to a really low gravity (something close to around 1.005) but can also cause exploding bottles if you bottle too early or don't stop fermentation with something like pasteurization.

The other option is blending. You could blend your mead with a sour beer.

**** it. I'm doing it.

3 gallon batch:
  • 4.5 lbs of local honey for a OG of ~1050
  • .25 lb of maltodextrin (maybe up to .5 lbs - thoughts?)
  • not sure on yeast yet but some built up dregs for sure (probably a mix of built up dregs from NG R&D, dG, Tilquin, Casey Oak Theory, and Orval)
Thoughts/suggestions?

**** it. I'm doing it.

3 gallon batch:
  • 4.5 lbs of local honey for a OG of ~1050
  • .25 lb of maltodextrin (maybe up to .5 lbs - thoughts?)
  • not sure on yeast yet but some built up dregs for sure (probably a mix of built up dregs from NG R&D, dG, Tilquin, Casey Oak Theory, and Orval)
Thoughts/suggestions?
What's your thought with the maltodextrin again? Long chain sugars for the brett? Not needed IMO.

I think the honey selection will be really important for this. I'm drinking a mixed ferment strong golden with 20% honey as I write this. It went through some weirdness, even more so than other mixed ferment beers. I think stronger flavored honeys have the potential to get some weird phenols from the brett. I used a a very spicy medium(?) amber honey and it got unpleasantly phenolic before clearing up and leaving a lot of floral honey character. Bottled 5 weeks ago and even with re yeasting, it's not tasting great now, but I think another month and hopefully it will clean up again.

Sorry for non-mead post, hopefully at least somewhat relevant to your endeavor.

What's your thought with the maltodextrin again? Long chain sugars for the brett? Not needed IMO.

I think the honey selection will be really important for this. I'm drinking a mixed ferment strong golden with 20% honey as I write this. It went through some weirdness, even more so than other mixed ferment beers. I think stronger flavored honeys have the potential to get some weird phenols from the brett. I used a a very spicy medium(?) amber honey and it got unpleasantly phenolic before clearing up and leaving a lot of floral honey character. Bottled 5 weeks ago and even with re yeasting, it's not tasting great now, but I think another month and hopefully it will clean up again.

Sorry for non-mead post, hopefully at least somewhat relevant to your endeavor.
I think you're right that the honey matters a lot. The honey is most likely cotton, so should be fairly neutral. I'm still worried about the yeast and bacteria just busting through those simple sugars without leaving much funk, so I think I'm still gonna add that maltodextrin. It shouldn't have the sacc yeast to interact with, so I'm worried that it won't be all that complex. It's worth doing a side by side, but I don't think I have any free carboys.

Started an Orange Blossom w/ Vanilla mead today. Forgot to take pictures of the ingrediants and most of the process but did remember to snag this pick of aerating the must and pitching.

This is my first 5 gallon batch of mead. I've made tons of 1 and 1/2 gallon batches. Stepping it up and putting on my big boy pants today!

Started an Orange Blossom w/ Vanilla mead today. Forgot to take pictures of the ingrediants and most of the process but did remember to snag this pick of aerating the must and pitching.

This is my first 5 gallon batch of mead. I've made tons of 1 and 1/2 gallon batches. Stepping it up and putting on my big boy pants today!

I think I will do something similar for my next mead. I have a bunch of the honeycomb wood inserts from Black Swan Cooperage left over, so it will probably see some maple/oak or whatever else I have sitting around doing nothing.

I want to source some tupelo honey as it seems to be a real nice honey. Don't want to pay shipping on it, but can't find it locally. hmph...

I think I will do something similar for my next mead.
I've done 1 gallon batches of this Vanilla Orange Blossom before. It turns out real nice and is always a big hit. It's simple and sweet and is almost reminiscent of an orange creamsicle soda, sans the carbonation.

It's basically
15# Orange blossom
~4 gallons water
1 D47 and 1/2 packet of 71B (I really like the way meads turn out when those are mixed)
Wine Nutrient blend at pitch/24/48 hrs.
Then I don't age on vanilla until the secondary, and usually leave the beans in there for a few weeks to taste.

I've done 1 gallon batches of this Vanilla Orange Blossom before. It turns out real nice and is always a big hit. It's simple and sweet and is almost reminiscent of an orange creamsicle soda, sans the carbonation.

It's basically
15# Orange blossom
~4 gallons water
1 D47 and 1/2 packet of 71B (I really like the way meads turn out when those are mixed)
Wine Nutrient blend at pitch/24/48 hrs.
Then I don't age on vanilla until the secondary, and usually leave the beans in there for a few weeks to taste.
I'm racking my Tart Cherry (montmorency & balaton) melomel into secondary tonight. Tastes nice as is, even after only 2 months since mixing it up.

I toyed with the idea of adding 2 vanilla beans, but not sure how they would play together. I have no interest in splitting the batch right now (i.e. I have 1 three gallon carboy, everything else is 5+), so it's either all in or all out. What to do?!

I toyed with the idea of adding 2 vanilla beans, but not sure how they would play together. I have no interest in splitting the batch right now (i.e. I have 1 three gallon carboy, everything else is 5+), so it's either all in or all out. What to do?!
Tough call. I think a cherry/vanilla combo would be awesome. But i'd also not want to do a full batch if you've never done just the cherries. I suggest picking up some 1 gallon glass carboy/jugs. They cheap ($8-ish) and convenient for situations like this.

Tough call. I think a cherry/vanilla combo would be awesome. But i'd also not want to do a full batch if you've never done just the cherries. I suggest picking up some 1 gallon glass carboy/jugs. They cheap ($8-ish) and convenient for situations like this.
I'm going to do that with my next batch. One vanilla bean will go into the batch I rack to secondary tonight. Next batch will see some wood experiments. I have a bunch of Black Swan Barrel Alternatives hanging around and have no plans for them. 5 gallons broken down with a different variety of wood should be a fun experiment. Hard Maple, Soft Maple, Red Oak, White Oak, Yellow Birch, Hickory, Cherry, etc.

I think I will do something similar for my next mead. I have a bunch of the honeycomb wood inserts from Black Swan Cooperage left over, so it will probably see some maple/oak or whatever else I have sitting around doing nothing.

I want to source some tupelo honey as it seems to be a real nice honey. Don't want to pay shipping on it, but can't find it locally. hmph...
Honeytrader.gov

I'm racking my Tart Cherry (montmorency & balaton) melomel into secondary tonight. Tastes nice as is, even after only 2 months since mixing it up.

No growlers laying around?

Can find 1 gallon jugs for about $6 at Earth Fare this time of year. Come with free apple juice.

Racked Vanilla/Orange Blossom into secondary. Tasting nice for ~3 weeks old. I also had 3.5lbs of honey laying around so I whipped up a 1 gallon batch of cranberry/orange blossom.

The cranberry is 16 oz cranberry juice. I'm going to also add cranberries to the secondary. I may even toss in some cinnamon. It could be a nice holiday drink.

Also checking in on my banana. A little over 2 months old (~1 month primary, ~1 secondary). Progressing slowly but surely. You can still see the banana pulp floaties even after racking to secondary.

The cranberry is 16 oz cranberry juice. I'm going to also add cranberries to the secondary. I may even toss in some cinnamon. It could be a nice holiday drink.

Ever since hearing of Scrhamm's Cranberry, this has been on my mind. Just made a phone call to find out about fresh cranberry sales. What are you plans for adding cranberries to secondary?

Ever since hearing of Scrhamm's Cranberry, this has been on my mind. Just made a phone call to find out about fresh cranberry sales. What are you plans for adding cranberries to secondary?
I'm not sure yet since this was an impulse batch. I haven't thought that far ahead.:) I just happen to have some cranberry juice and 3.5 lbs of honey sitting around (i always keep some D47 and 71B packets on hand).

Since it's only a gallon batch I shouldn't need many cranberries. I'll see if there are some seasonal ones I can get fresh, otherwise I can always scoop some up from the grocery store. Or maybe even find some frozen ones since the holidays are coming up and stores usually carry that sort of seasonal stuff.

My plan for adding them would probably be smash them up a bit and/or freeze them to help break down the cell walls. Then toss em in for a few weeks. Since they're going to lend a pretty strong, tart flavor and I already have cranberry juice in there I'll probably use less than 1 lb of berries.

If you decide to make one let me know how you go about it.

I'm not sure yet since this was an impulse batch. I haven't thought that far ahead.:) I just happen to have some cranberry juice and 3.5 lbs of honey sitting around (i always keep some D47 and 71B packets on hand).

Since it's only a gallon batch I shouldn't need many cranberries. I'll see if there are some seasonal ones I can get fresh, otherwise I can always scoop some up from the grocery store. Or maybe even find some frozen ones since the holidays are coming up and stores usually carry that sort of seasonal stuff.

My plan for adding them would probably be smash them up a bit and/or freeze them to help break down the cell walls. Then toss em in for a few weeks. Since they're going to lend a pretty strong, tart flavor and I already have cranberry juice in there I'll probably use less than 1 lb of berries.

If you decide to make one let me know how you go about it.
Schramm's used these:

1099310117_LrTGG-S.jpg

That's what I heard, anyway...

;)

Racked Vanilla/Orange Blossom into secondary. Tasting nice for ~3 weeks old. I also had 3.5lbs of honey laying around so I whipped up a 1 gallon batch of cranberry/orange blossom.

Also checking in on my banana. A little over 2 months old (~1 month primary, ~1 secondary). Progressing slowly but surely. You can still see the banana pulp floaties even after racking to secondary.
YES

I'd really like to make a batch of mead, but the price of honey scares the hell out of me. You guys make it look so easy. I might have to bite the bullet and try a one gallon batch.

I'd really like to make a batch of mead, but the price of honey scares the hell out of me. You guys make it look so easy. I might have to bite the bullet and try a one gallon batch.
Yeah do it. One gallon is what I do, until I'm estatic about a batch anyways. 50$ tops. It's worth it.

Had a roasted pumpkin molassss cider tonight. Thinking of turning that idea into a cyser. The idea gives me a chub

Yeah do it. One gallon is what I do, until I'm estatic about a batch anyways. 50$ tops. It's worth it.

Had a roasted pumpkin molassss cider tonight. Thinking of turning that idea into a cyser. The idea gives me a chub
I might do a batch this winter, when it gets too cold to stand out in the garage and brew beer.

edit: The problem is that I've only had Schramms The Statement and one bottle of janky local mead. I know what the top of the mountain tastes like, but my homemade stuff will probably taste more like the latter.

I might do a batch this winter, when it gets too cold to stand out in the garage and brew beer.

edit: The problem is that I've only had Schramms The Statement and one bottle of janky local mead. I know what the top of the mountain tastes like, but my homemade stuff will probably taste more like the latter.
That's the beauty! I personally think mead is easier than beer, less time anyways. It just takes so long for the **** to ferment....a few of mine I like a lot a few have been meh. Nothing near schramms but a lot of it i would rather drink over stuff I can buy at a store...

Without going back and reading through this entire thread, do any of you guys have a tried and true basic recipe? Recommended honey variants?

Without going back and reading through this entire thread, do any of you guys have a tried and true basic recipe? Recommended honey variants?
That's a loaded question. I'd be happy to suggest some simple solid recipes but it would be better if you tell us what type of meads you enjoy (based on your limited experience). You said you had The Statement, which is a melomel that's pretty sweet (high honey content) with a slight tartness from the cherries. What about the homebrewed mead you had? What style and what didn't you like about it?

I tend to find people newer to meads gravitate towards the sweeter end (sweet and semi-sweet as opposed to dry) and usually like fruit. So similar to a dessert wine.

If you can narrow down a few desired characteristics from here http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/meadintro.php I'm sure we'd be happy to suggest a few solid recipes. As Jb123 said making mead is extremely easy compared to beer, it just takes much longer to ferment.

That's a loaded question. I'd be happy to suggest some simple solid recipes but it would be better if you tell us what type of meads you enjoy (based on your limited experience). You said you had The Statement, which is a melomel that's pretty sweet (high honey content) with a slight tartness from the cherries. What about the homebrewed mead you had? What style and what didn't you like about it?

I tend to find people newer to meads gravitate towards the sweeter end (sweet and semi-sweet as opposed to dry) and usually like fruit. So similar to a dessert wine.

If you can narrow down a few desired characteristics from here http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/meadintro.php I'm sure we'd be happy to suggest a few solid recipes. As Jb123 said making mead is extremely easy compared to beer, it just takes much longer to ferment.
I definitely enjoy the sweeter, fruited meads (melomel).

My personal, general rule of thumb for a sweet mead is 4lbs/gal of honey. So a base recipe might look something like this:

• 4lbs honey
  • fruit
  • water - enough to hit the 1 gal mark
  • Lavlin 71b or D47 yeast packet
  • Yeast Nutrient additions at pitch and 24 hrs.

If you're adding fruit like berries I'd just go with Clover Honey, but Orange Blossom is another great option.

The amount of fruit depends on the type of fruit and how heavy of the fruit character you're looking for. There's also when to add fruit, which depending on personal preference, desired fruit character, and some other factors can determine if you add fruit in primary or secondary. This guys blog is pretty good at outlining different fruit additions and amount of fruit to add based on type of fruit.

Another solid resource from BJCP
The 2 best books out there are Ken Schramms - The compleat Mead Maker and Steve Piatz - The complete guide to making mead

Last edited:
Back