Mead storage-aging question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Doe

adrbrewer
Reaction score
So I have what for me would be a perfect space (separate little basement room) to store and age my meads.
Thing is it goes (slowly) from as high as 70 degrees in the summer to as low as 40 in the winter.
Would this work or should I use a different space? The other option is a corner of the main basement that would go from high 50's to around 70 in the summer.
I'd really prefer to use that separate room.

Thanks in advance!

So I have what for me would be a perfect space (separate little basement room) to store and age my meads.
Thing is it goes (slowly) from as high as 70 degrees in the summer to as low as 40 in the winter.
Would this work or should I use a different space? The other option is a corner of the main basement that would go from high 50's to around 70 in the summer.
I'd really prefer to use that separate room.

Thanks in advance!
I personnally bulk age and store my Mead at 62 to 66 Deg F and have somewhere over 400 bottles in the cellar at the moment. As mentioned in the article below swings in temp can cause problems but 40 to 70 that changes gradually would very likely be less of an impact. The general concensus is that swings in temp should be avoided as it could loosen the cork and the belief by many is that aging for extended periods resultinng in off flavors are often attributed to variations in temperature. With that said if you plan to drink the Mead in a year or two you likely will only be going through a few temperature cycles and IMO will not significantly impact the flavor and in fact may help short term as nearer 70 may actually accelerate the process.

I would be interested in hearing others Point Of View and or Experience.

From our friends at Hidden Legends Winery. See below.

BEST TEMPERATURE FOR MEAD STORAGE?

Just like long-term wine or beer storage, the best temperature for mead storage is about 70 degrees, so room temperature for most people. However, just as with storing wine for long periods, extreme fluctuations in temperature should be avoided, as temperatures above 70 degrees can negatively impact the mead. (CKuhns note - Much more concern with it being too warm vs. Too cool)

As a result, you want to store your mead in a dark, dry location that is neither too hot nor too cool. A cabinet indoors is a good idea; better still is one temperature controlled, just like for wine storage. Excessive temperature swings and excessive oxidation by sunlight can cause mead to skunk, just as the same can occur with fine wines and ales. If you plan to store mead for long periods (nothing wrong with drinking it as soon as possible, though!) then some sort of planned storage is a good idea.

In most houses, about room temperature should be fine. However, people who don’t have air conditioning may want to consider temperature-controlled storage to ensure quality.

I'll add that I'd like to age for up to 5 years. I'll also have a sacrificial row that will be left for longer just to see what happens.

Latest posts

Back