Mead question 1 gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garth_86

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing a 5 gal batch of mead. I want 5 different flavor batches, but was thinking of just fermenting it all in the same 5 gal carboy then when i rack to secondary rack in to the 1 gal and add my oak, cinnamon raspberry or what ever to each batch.

I think this makes sense but its my first mead attempt. Any advise would be great thanks.

Wait until the mead is 100% finished. As in super clear and 100% done fermenting. Depending on the yeast you use, how you formulate it, and such, that could be several months from the pitching day. Also, use the mead calculator to get an idea of how much honey to use. You'll need to factor in the volume the honey will take up for the water additions. Typically 12# of honey is 1 gallon of volume. But, I find it easier to simply mix the honey and water in 1 gallon increments before pouring into fermenter. I use a 1 gallon measuring cup from William's for this.

I'd also recommend reading up on what to do on the Got Mead? forums. You'll want to oxygenate, degas, and add nutrients for the mead until you hit the 1/3 break (point where 1/3 of the sugars have been consumed). Also go with Lalvin yeast strains NOT a supposed "mead" yeast strain from WLP or even Wyeast. You'll see a lot more issue posts from people using "mead" yeasts than those who use Lalvin strains. Just be sure to properly treat the yeast, and must (Got Mead Forums).

Dealing with 1 gallon batches is kind of a pain in the ass. I have four going now and I won't do it again due to the work of racking each individually. I'd much rather do as you suggested: start it all together, and move it to smaller batches.

BTW, starting with 5 gallons you'll have closer to 4 gallons when it's ready for the flavor additions. Chances are, you'll end up with less than a gallon (of each) once the flavor additions are done.

Ok thanks a lot. That web site is a great place for info. I should of asked this sooner as I bought a wyeast sweet mead. I'll try it anyway. Use nutrient and If need be I have some lavlin 1118 around too.

But if I did this I would have to wait a while before splitting the 5gal batch into 1gal batches. I'd probably be better off to just split it all and ferment in the 1 gal to begin with?

Agree about using a lavlin yeast. My personal fave for mead is kiv-1116. It has a wide temp range, low nutrient requirement and will go 16-18% alcohol while retaining alot of the fruit or honey flavors.

bconstant said:
Dealing with 1 gallon batches is kind of a pain in the ass. I have four going now and I won't do it again due to the work of racking each individually. I'd much rather do as you suggested: start it all together, and move it to smaller batches.

This dose seem like a much easier way. I am just trying to avoid a lot of racking. And I only have 5x. 1 gal jugs so nothing to rack too.

This dose seem like a much easier way. I am just trying to avoid a lot of racking. And I only have 5x. 1 gal jugs so nothing to rack too.

You'll need at least one 'spare' jug either way. Since you'll want to get the small batches off the flavor elements at some point. Even if its to add more. You'll also have less than 5 gallons for flavor additions. Reserve the partial to use to top off the full gallons as needed.

Back