Mead making in a name?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryue

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a name for someone who makes mead? I.e, brewer for beer or vintner for wine?
This may be a stupid question and has probably already been answered on here before, but I couldn't find a definite answer online.

Technically "mazer" refers to a drinking vessel and not the mead maker. Today, for whatever reason folk have begun to refer to mead makers as mazers.. and that is amazing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazer_(drinking_vessel)

That said, I don't know that there is a special word for someone who makes mead other than a wine maker or mead maker... so you could call someone who makes mead Jimmy or John or Alice or Jill.. Just don't call them late for dinner...

Webster will tell you that a mazer is a drinking cup. I think the use of the term to refer to a mead maker is a recent thing, and nobody seems to know how that came to be. My own suspicion is that there is a world renowned mead competition called the Mazer Cup, and perhaps participants - and therefore mead makers - got tagged as mazers as part of that. This is conjecture on my part however.. just throwin' it out there.

Yeah, I had looked it up and found the same - some say Mazer, others say that's inaccurate. So in short, there isn't a commonly accepted name aside from "mead maker" lol

Webster will tell you that a mazer is a drinking cup. I think the use of the term to refer to a mead maker is a recent thing, and nobody seems to know how that came to be. My own suspicion is that there is a world renowned mead competition called the Mazer Cup, and perhaps participants - and therefore mead makers - got tagged as mazers as part of that. This is conjecture on my part however.. just throwin' it out there.

Wouldn't the Mazer Cup be fairly redundant then? :)

Language, especially English, is a fluid and dynamic thing...don't get hung up on the fact that "mazer" refers to an ancient northern European ceremonial drinking vessel. (They probably drank some sort of ancient version of mead out of it!)

Previous discussion here on Reddit, Got Mead, and also on HBT.

Bottom line is, common modern use is indeed to refer to mead makers as Mazers. Ken Schramm wants to call us Methiers, but I don't see anything wrong with the drift that leads to new uses for old terms...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back