Mead gone bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malanan

Reaction score
Hi there,

I started doing my first batch of mead two weeks ago. And from the looks of is the fermentation should be done, however I realised during the process of the fermentation, that there was slowly forming a colony of a white mold which looks in a dark environment more greyish/green.
When I first saw it a was unsure if I should start over again or not so I decided to keep an eye on it,since it was quite small at the beginning and looked more like a white film, now however it grew quite a bit and I am pretty sure its not the white spots you get when you brew wine or the like which are harmless.
Therefore I wanted what this mold is and how I should handle it and mead.

Here are two pictures of the colony:

IMG_20180220_064924.jpg
IMG_20180220_064824.jpg

Last edited:
I’ll second the not sure how you managed that reply, without a fruit cap drying out I don’t know how mold could be growing. Can you post your recipe and process?

From the appearance of the mead it does not look as though there is any CO2 dissolved in the liquid. Are you certain you pitched active yeast? I would expect to see some bubbles in the liquid but perhaps your camera lens is not capable of picking up such fine detail ...

Back