Mead contaminated am i screwed ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deghisagorah

Reaction score
Okay let's just get to the point, I'm still a newbie and has got a ghetto setup by making my own idiotic airlock.
So 15 mins ago I was trying to stir my mead to release the co2, but the absolute complete idiot me pushed the plastic container too hard and the freaking water inside my ghetto airlock got pushed up and over the pipe that leads into the container, and suddenly ive got a fully working siphon that managed to pull the whole water covering the airlock into the inside of my container and contaminated my mead thats still in first fermentation stage.

Am i screwed ?

Oh and fyi the mead is just 3 days old. got a lot of bubbles going

Last edited:
The only thing that is in the water is CO2 gas and that all came from the fermentation and any bacteria that was in the water from the source. The amount of bacteria will be tiny and given the alcohol in the mead and the acidic environment created by the yeast (an environment that out-competes competitors) it is very unlikely that you have done any serious damage to your mead. IF -IF you are concerned I would crush 1 campden tablet for each gallon of mead and dissolve the powder in a little water so that you are not adding powder to a gas saturated liquid (it will erupt like a volcano) and the tabs will kill any volunteer microbes with SO2.

ah okay, thanks im very paranoid because this is my first serious-ish trial of making a mead

Back