Mead and Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danlicon

Reaction score
I've been testing 1 gallon batches of mead using ale yeast. Results have been favorable. Anyone else have experience or tips with this?

Sent from my XT907 using Home Brew mobile app

I've been testing 1 gallon batches of mead using ale yeast. Results have been favorable. Anyone else have experience or tips with this?

Yes......lots......

but its usually found with the search function at the various forums.......:rockin:

I usually use ale yeast unless I really want dry mead, or am starting with a high gravity and/or a lot of fruit, then I use Champagne yeast. Irish Ale yeast is my favorite, specifically WL 004, but I have also tried Nottingham and Belle Saison (both still in primary, but promising).

The primary tends to run on the longer side, but they usually require little aging after clearing. In fact my last batch, an Orange Blossom, turned out quite drinkable at racking off the secondary (about six months after pitching). Used the WL 004 with 15 lbs Orange Blossom honey and about 24 oz. of frozen orange juice concentrate for that one.

I used Cal Ale WLP 001 for mine. OG was 1.118 FG was .996

Took a year but it's pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Only ever used a saison yeast...Wyeast 3711...came out really good, and took the mead completely dry (at around 13% ABV, as I recall, not no notes in front of me at the moment

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

Back