Mead Aging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disney7

Reaction score
I made my first mead about a month ago. I left it in primary for 3 weeks. At that point I didn't see any airlock activity and my final gravity put me at about 12.5% ABV, which is what I expected for this recipe.

I racked it to a 5 gallon glass carboy from my fermenter and stored it in the basement to age. I checked it today and I have a considerable amount of yeast sediment in the bottom of the carboy.... a good 3/8" worth at least. I haven't noticed any airlock activity.

Should I rack it again? I'm told to expect it to take another two to three months to clear before I can bottle it. Is that yeast going to break down and throw off bad flavors?

It depends on the yeast. I know 71B does give off bad tastes as the yeast breaks down, and it can start doing this just a few weeks after fermentation is complete.

Other yeasts are good for months.

Scott

What yeast did you use? If not 71B then leave it alone until its been at least a month from when you racked it last. I would rack every 2-4 months until its super clear before bottling. IME bottling a mead early is a criminal error. Its NOT like brewing beer where you can go to bottle after a few weeks/months without too much trouble.

If I was making that batch, at 12.5%, I'd let it go at least 9 months before I even considered bottling it up. I have a few 14% batches that are going to go the better part of a year before being bottled. Anything stronger gets more time.

I have my initial bottles from what I made in 2010 still around. The part that I let go a full year are better than those that were bottled earlier.

Be PATIENT with your mead. Let it become great before you bottle it. You will be rewarded with greatness if you do.

Back