Maybe the ABInBev haters can let up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There WAS mandatory evacuation in the county where we live in the winter. Maybe not in Houston- but where would all of the people in the fourth largest city in the US go anyway? Stations still are out of gas on the evacuation routes, at least from Rockport to San Antonio. Motels are full, RV parks are full. The San Patricio Fairgrounds are open (for something like $25/night) to displaced people to park RVs.

The schools are closed "indefinitely", but power should be restored around September 5 for much of the county, according to the mayor. Even with FEMA paying for motels, there just aren't any to be had in that area. It's a disaster for sure.

There is a curfew in place from 7P-7A.

It's wonderful that so many companies and people are helping where they can.

I dont judge anyone for their opinion, and I respect yours but your post got me thinking. Thankfully, I'm not in the situation that the people in Texas are facing, but can I honestly say that I would have left with the same warnings? Like Draken said, there was no evacuation ordered. I tend to dismiss hysteria on the news, and I really think I would have stayed until I started seeing the evidence firsthand. Maybe at that time it would have been too late to get out, but how do you know?

Would you have left at the first news warning? Do you board your windows and doors everytime the news warns about something? When is the appropriate time to heed the warnings? After all, the weatherman is correct everyday! Right!?

It's hard to say until you're placed in that situation....

I'm glad I wrote something that actually made someone sit back and think! :mug:

Honestly, my heart doesn't believe 90% of what I wrote. Tragedies are always clouded by feelings, and rightfully so. I just wanted to point out that there are many opinions on this matter, positive and negative. I'm not a conspiracy theorist. Those people are nuts. But my mind does tend to travel over to Realist Land every so often.

Would I have left? Absolutely. I would have left a few days before. But I have 4 & 6 year old children. I tend not to take chances with them. They are still beautiful and innocent. I also have the means to leave if needed.

But 7 years ago, I'd have stayed. As a young man with no responsibilities, it would have been like an adventure. It's not a fair example for others though, because I'm pretty sure I was invincible back then.

:ban:

There WAS mandatory evacuation in the county where we live in the winter. Maybe not in Houston- but where would all of the people in the fourth largest city in the US go anyway? Stations still are out of gas on the evacuation routes, at least from Rockport to San Antonio. Motels are full, RV parks are full. The San Patricio Fairgrounds are open (for something like $25/night) to displaced people to park RVs.

This is going to get political, fast. The mayor did not issue an order to evacuate. At the time there was a fuel supply.

No where to go? Who cares, you leave because you want to save your life and you want to do the same for those who depend on you. You can suck it up in your car for a week. You can live on water, crackers and not much else for a long time. You can find help and you can help out. You don't need to live in a motel for a week, you don't need an RV, you can deal with the circumstances. You pull your elderly parent out of the home and put them through a bad situation in order to avoid an even worse one. You take your kid and they are scared out of their mind, but its better than having them see their home get half submerged and putting their life at a greater risk. This is a much better bet than taking chances with a flood.

You find a spot at a city park and freaking deal with it. No money? Yeah, you can scrape the money up. People going to kick you out of a spot in the city? Maybe, but more probably will take care of you.

There is a curfew in place from 7P-7A.

0000 to 0500

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=houston+curfew&oq=houston+curfew

Wow did this thread take a negative turn or what? My thoughts with the original post was to show that the management at ABInBev wasn't all that bad, they do have some compassion, even though my cynical side tells me they're doing it for public relations points. But nonetheless, they are doing something. I was kind of hoping people would add to the thread what other brewers were doing or maybe some people would donate a little something themselves. So hey, I was naive thinking the haters would put aside their hate, its just not going to happen; but if this Labor day weekend we all just bought one or two less pints at the pub or one less 4 pack of expensive IPA at a store and instead donated some cash, it would make a difference. I hope y'all are thankful for what you have and that you can enjoy a holiday weekend. Cheers! :mug:

Edit: Here's a list of Brewery sponsored fundraisers:

https://www.porchdrinking.com/artic...gether-to-support-harvey-flood-victims-texas/

Update: Oscar Blues Brewery in Colorado sending canned water to Texas, ABI says the entire production for a week at their Georgia brewery is switching over to canned water and MillerCoors says it is now canning water at Revolver Brewing in Texas, not just using it as a distribution point as previously announced.

Update: Oscar Blues Brewery in Colorado sending canned water to Texas, ABI says the entire production for a week at their Georgia brewery is switching over to canned water and MillerCoors says it is now canning water at Revolver Brewing in Texas, not just using it as a distribution point as previously announced.

Wow, thanks for noting that Oskar Blues (and who knows, maybe more breweries) is donating canned water as well. I can't believe it took 5 pages before somebody noted this. I read it the other day.

Also, there is a Michigan company that has donated (in conjunction with Wal-Mart) kayaks and other boats to aid in rescue and recovery efforts.

I rail against ABI as much as any craft beer enthusiast, but good acts, as rare as they may be, deserve to be recognized.

Not at all political! I am not talking about Houston. I'm talking about the county and city where I live in the winter. Houston is about 250 miles away. As big as Houston is, the area decimated is much platter. The hurricane hit as a cat 4 in my town. I cant talk about Houston or other areas as I don't live there.

In any case, everyone is thankful for companies large and small who are helping.

This is going to get political, fast. The mayor did not issue an order to evacuate. At the time there was a fuel supply.

No where to go? Who cares, you leave because you want to save your life and you want to do the same for those who depend on you. You can suck it up in your car for a week. You can live on water, crackers and not much else for a long time. You can find help and you can help out. You don't need to live in a motel for a week, you don't need an RV, you can deal with the circumstances. You pull your elderly parent out of the home and put them through a bad situation in order to avoid an even worse one. You take your kid and they are scared out of their mind, but its better than having them see their home get half submerged and putting their life at a greater risk. This is a much better bet than taking chances with a flood.

You find a spot at a city park and freaking deal with it. No money? Yeah, you can scrape the money up. People going to kick you out of a spot in the city? Maybe, but more probably will take care of you.

0000 to 0500

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=houston+curfew&oq=houston+curfew

Unlike, the rather sad, culture of entitlement we have developed in this country. They don't pass out participation medals in business! You have to earn your spot! Produce better beer! Have better business sense....the whole goal of business is to be better than the competition

Or you can just use your size to unfairly eliminate competitors.

I'm glad I wrote something that actually made someone sit back and think! :mug:

Honestly, my heart doesn't believe 90% of what I wrote. Tragedies are always clouded by feelings, and rightfully so. I just wanted to point out that there are many opinions on this matter, positive and negative. I'm not a conspiracy theorist. Those people are nuts. But my mind does tend to travel over to Realist Land every so often.

Would I have left? Absolutely. I would have left a few days before. But I have 4 & 6 year old children. I tend not to take chances with them. They are still beautiful and innocent. I also have the means to leave if needed.

But 7 years ago, I'd have stayed. As a young man with no responsibilities, it would have been like an adventure. It's not a fair example for others though, because I'm pretty sure I was invincible back then.

It's funny that as we have this discussion I have received two separate emergency alerts on my phone regarding tornados and flooding in my area tonight. Too funny! Don't worry, I won't leave my dog and SWMBO behind! :mug:

Or you can just use your size to unfairly eliminate competitors.

If business was fair everyone would be successful! The thing we forget to realize is that there are plenty examples of craft breweries gaining national (even international) recognition and success. Why is that? Good beer and business maybe? Yup!

Also, do you think that AB is the only business that operates like it does? I think it is safe to say that they are not. I bet there are some who curse Inbev through the same teeth they gulp down Star-bucks while sending tweets on their iPhones. Yeah, stick to your "values"

Also, do you think that AB is the only business that operates like it does? I think it is safe to say that they are not. I bet there are some who curse Inbev through the same teeth they gulp down Star-bucks while sending tweets on their iPhones. Yeah, stick to your "values"

So? That's no excuse for InBev's behaviors. I'd rather have some values that may not be followed 100%, than have no values whatsoever.

It's better than what Joel Osteen is doing....

I'm not a fan of Osteen because I think he's a heretic. So I was quick to believe the initial screechings. But AFAIK, he has set up a distribution center for food, clothes, diapers, etc, and as of Tuesday (you posted on Wednesday) he is taking in refugees from the flood. His church has taken in storm victims before. And he posted pictures of flooding inside the church on Monday.

I just wonder if the people who want to crucify Osteen for not doing enough and not doing it fast enough have done anything at all to help? Besides crank up the outrage machine, of course. I suspect not.

On a lighter note, http://babylonbee.com/news/joel-osteen-sails-luxury-yacht-flooded-houston-pass-copies-best-life-now/

I'm not a fan of Osteen because I think he's a heretic. So I was quick to believe the initial screechings. But AFAIK, he has set up a distribution center for food, clothes, diapers, etc, and as of Tuesday (you posted on Wednesday) he is taking in refugees from the flood. His church has taken in storm victims before. And he posted pictures of flooding inside the church on Monday.

I just wonder if the people who want to crucify Osteen for not doing enough and not doing it fast enough have done anything at all to help? Besides crank up the outrage machine, of course. I suspect not.

On a lighter note, http://babylonbee.com/news/joel-osteen-sails-luxury-yacht-flooded-houston-pass-copies-best-life-now/

Whoa! Tragedy, Capitalism, Religion...I outta here! :tank:

This isn't the debate forum so I don't want to get to deep into it..however I really flat out disagree with how he has handled his church/ this natural disaster. That's all I'm going to say here

I used to work with an Indian woman, and saw her start crying one day when a coworker killed a large beetle at work.

In WWII, there were over 40 million Russian casualties (military and civilian), and Stalin still ate his breakfast every morning with a smile.

The importance of life is vastly different, depending on perspective.

IMO, everyone in the area had a very large window to understand the warnings and evacuate. They were told this storm was huge and destructive. There should have been 0 deaths, except for maybe some infrastructure workers and first responders who settled in for the storm. Now the State and Local authorities are ramping up efforts to save these people who wouldn't listen, costing us millions of tax dollars and putting these rescuers lives/health at a high risk. Yeah, I know. That's one hell of a perspective.

You hear lots of excuses, like "I had to work", "I don't have the money to leave", or "someone will steal my belongings". Ok. I understand. The importance of life is vastly different, depending on perspective. But by staying, they certainly knew there was a good chance they would be putting other lives at risk along with their own... and didn't care. Would this be considered perspective, or criminal? In almost any other case, it would be criminal. This one has been labeled a tragedy.

What about people who decided to stay, but didn't relocate and instead endangered their children (who don't have a choice in the matter)? They make their children wear helmets to ride bikes, but won't leave when an almost certain catastrophic storm is looming in the distance? Again... all about perspective. In almost any other case, it would be criminal. But again, it's a tragedy instead.

The nursing home companies that didn't relocate the very people they are paid to care for and protect? Perspective? No. Absolutely ciminal. This is the lowest of low... but I guess that's just how I feel.

Yes, this whole event is a tragedy in my opinion and the entire area needs help now. A horrible experience for those involved. Texans are historically tough. They will band together and will get through this event. I have faith in them.

But I can't help but wonder how many people feel the real tragedy here is that Darwinism doesn't have the chance to work it's magic. For every Ghandi, there's always a Stalin...

I'm sure my nonsensical ramblings will be deleted shortly by mods. I can understand their perspective. I thought about deleting it before I hit the submit button! But I put a lot of time into it, and figured what the hell! It's just ramblings from an idiot anyways...

Harvey made land fall in Rockport, TX. Most of those folks there got out in plenty of time. There will always be people that try to ride out the storm. Those people are told to write their name and SS number on their arms in a permanent marker so it will be easier to identify the body. That is Darwinism.

I have no idea what the national news is showing, but probably most everything everyone is seeing on the news is Houston's devastation from flooding, not wind driven destruction that is typical of a Hurricane.
Houston wasn't hit by a hurricane. Houston's winds were nothing compared to Rockport. Rockport is as far from Houston as the state of Illinois is wide for perspective.

The problem was that Harvey stalled out over Texas and just dumped rain for days. Most of it over Houston. Typically a hurricane just moves out until it dissipates. Houston and our outlying areas received a years worth of rain in 4-5 days. 51 inches in 4-5 days. That water has to go somewhere. Ever heard of 100 year flood plain? This one was 800-1000 year flood plain.

They Houston city officials didn't issue an evacuation order, because the hurricane wasn't projected to hit Houston and it didn't hit us direct. The whole state of Texas would be gridlocked and people would be stranded on the roads for days if a evacuation order was given for the 6 million plus people in Houston proper and outlying areas. NO gas, no food, no bathrooms, no medical facilities. So an evacuation order isn't something taken lightly or done willy nilly without a serious threat of a direct hit from a Cat 2-3 hurricane. 100 people died in 2005 during evacuation from Rita, that didn't even end up hitting Houston. It didn't even rain at my house during that storm.

What happened was that folks that had NEVER had their area flood, were flooded. It floods here so much that you pretty much know if you house is in danger of flooding. Not this time. The flood waters rose much higher and quicker than anyone imagined, thus all the people that had to be rescued. The amount of rain that fell was unimaginable, until this past week.

Trying to steer the thread back to charitable causes....
Braxton Bresing in Cincinnati, OH is also canning water and having an event to raise money for Hurricane Harvey relief. The employees there are donating their time to run the canning line.

http://www.brewminds.com/news/braxton-brewing-co-to-can-water-for-hurricane-harvey-relief/

Update: Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner, Texas, (they make Shiner Beer)
is donating $500,000 for Hurricane relief.
Spoetzl Brewery is owned by The Gambrinus Company of San Antonio, Texas and they own a two other West Coast Breweries.
Note that Gambrinus is one of those companies that acquires existing brands and builds up the business. Gambrinus is the 4th largest craft beer producer in the US.

Harvey made land fall in Rockport, TX. Most of those folks there got out in plenty of time. There will always be people that try to ride out the storm. Those people are told to write their name and SS number on their arms in a permanent marker so it will be easier to identify the body. That is Darwinism.

I have no idea what the national news is showing, but probably most everything everyone is seeing on the news is Houston's devastation from flooding, not wind driven destruction that is typical of a Hurricane.
Houston wasn't hit by a hurricane. Houston's winds were nothing compared to Rockport. Rockport is as far from Houston as the state of Illinois is wide for perspective.

The problem was that Harvey stalled out over Texas and just dumped rain for days. Most of it over Houston. Typically a hurricane just moves out until it dissipates. Houston and our outlying areas received a years worth of rain in 4-5 days. 51 inches in 4-5 days. That water has to go somewhere. Ever heard of 100 year flood plain? This one was 800-1000 year flood plain.

They Houston city officials didn't issue an evacuation order, because the hurricane wasn't projected to hit Houston and it didn't hit us direct. The whole state of Texas would be gridlocked and people would be stranded on the roads for days if a evacuation order was given for the 6 million plus people in Houston proper and outlying areas. NO gas, no food, no bathrooms, no medical facilities. So an evacuation order isn't something taken lightly or done willy nilly without a serious threat of a direct hit from a Cat 2-3 hurricane. 100 people died in 2005 during evacuation from Rita, that didn't even end up hitting Houston. It didn't even rain at my house during that storm.

What happened was that folks that had NEVER had their area flood, were flooded. It floods here so much that you pretty much know if you house is in danger of flooding. Not this time. The flood waters rose much higher and quicker than anyone imagined, thus all the people that had to be rescued. The amount of rain that fell was unimaginable, until this past week.

^THIS

I live in Houston, I evacuated for Rita. If this city had ordered evacuation thousands, if not tens of thousands would have been stuck on highways designed to turn into rivers when extreme rainfall hits. This was not a foreseeable outcome. For all the heart wrenching scenes on your televisions, the authorities made the right call.

Back