Maybe not enough headspace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbeerman

Reaction score
Is this gonna explode?

I am already using a blow off tube.

Can I transfer some of it into another carboy?

What are my options?

headspace.jpg

I would leave it as it is, you don't want to disturb your yeast too much. You might get a little bit of a mess if it blows you blowoff tube out, just keep an eye on it. One thing tha I would recommend for future brews is to pick up a 6 gallon carboy to give you some more head space and then still use a blowoff tube for primary. All in all, it still looks like a good brew!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Agree to leaving it as it is.

You will be top cropping some good yeast if your blow off tube and collection container were sanitized.

I don't agree, all this blow off tube crap drives me nuts ! You only need a blow off tube cos you put too much in the carboy !
Now you have done it I would take a gallon off into another vessel to ferment out, then experiment with it, add something, hops? Extract ?
Anything, just to get a cleaner environment. Why have all that sticky mess around the place. I reckon that most of the infected brew pictures we see start out just like yours, it ain't right, and it ain't necessary.

Agree to leaving it as it is.

You will be top cropping some good yeast if your blow off tube and collection container were sanitized.

They are indeed Sanitized. How would I go about cropping some off?

So you think that the yeast that has blown out, and been exposed, to ????? Is clean and sanitary ?

It calmed down and the blow off worked fine. Still fermenting very rapidly but the risk of the bung blowing off has subsided.

Thanks to everyone who said leave it alone with the blowoff tube.

Back