Mayan Chocolate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evlgenius74

Reaction score
I am fairly new to brewing and would like to make a mayan chocolate. basically hot coco with a kick. ingredients i plan to use are:

coco powder and or coco nibs
lactose for creamy flavor
bit of cayan pepper

need some help. i dont know what kind of yeast to use, what sugars would work best, if i need malts... any help would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe make a dry stout as the base beer? The roastiness would go well with the mayan chocolate. I usually use Irish Ale yeast wyeast 1084 with my stouts.

Are you an PM/Extract brewer or all grain?

actually i have only done ciders so far. looking to branch out...yet at the same time i dont like beer so im sticking with less traditional brews.

but if i do make a foray into beer territory it really doesnt matter which i use...prob extract to start then grains...but friends use grains all the time and i have helped. would prob go extract simply because im lazy.

I am fairly new to brewing and would like to make a mayan chocolate. basically hot coco with a kick. ingredients i plan to use are:

coco powder and or coco nibs
lactose for creamy flavor
bit of cayan pepper

need some help. i dont know what kind of yeast to use, what sugars would work best, if i need malts... any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have made what I called a Mayan Porter. You can read my two blog posts here (the brew session) and here (the tasting session) to get some additional feedback. I had planned on entering this in the Sam Adams Long Shot contest but missed the deadline by a day. :(

@ 3dog tho i love the recipe and plan to give it to a friend for his next brew. im looking for something more traditional in the mayan chocolate. all ive been able to find is that they fermented their cocoa but nothing about a recipe or even anything i can make come close. all i really know is it is basically a dark chocolate drink with some form of peppers (assuming cayan) and cinnamon. it is very similar to our hot cocoa but not as sweet and fermented.

I'm not sure if you've considered mead, but about a year ago, I made a sort of spicy mead. I didn't write down what I exactly did but here's the gist:

1 gallon water
2.5 lbs honey
1 stick of cinnamon
cayenne pepper (can't remember how much was added)

Boil water, dissolve honey, cool down, and put in a vessel with the cinnamon and cayenne. I *think* I added some yeast nutrient as well, but I can't remember. Doesn't hurt.

It was very spicy after 3 months, a shot of that was a kick to the head. Was good though. If you want to add chocolate to that, maybe it will get close to what you're looking for? I recommend checking out the mead forum- see what you can dig up.

actually thats not a bad idea...tho the thought of possibly wasting that much honey on a failed experiment would make me incredibly sad! i may find something thats close and use sugar instead of honey or the first run to make sure it wont be a complete disaster. wouldnt be exactly what i was looking for...but it just might be my best option...

I did a Russian Imperial Stout aged on ancho, pasilla, and mulato peppers, cocoa, cinnamon, and vanilla beans, based on one of Oldsock's recipes, Cigar City's blog entries on Hunahpu's, and the BYO Founder's Breakfast Stout notes.

Up it to about 6oz of cocoa and you'd have a pretty chocolatey beer to go along with the smoked peppers. You'd probably want to start with a lower gravity base beer, but a chocolate sweet stout could work well.

http://hopville.com/recipe/221752/r...recipes/ancho-villa-hunahpus-or-hunahpu-style

i decided im gonna run a little experiment. gonna whip up a SUPER simple batch just to see how things turn out. heres how its gonna run:

16 oz hersheys special dark cocoa powder
2 lbs honey (its all i have)
5 lbs sugar (give or take...gonna add it slowly till i get to a SG of at least 1.05 -1.1 depending on the yeast i find.
4 T Chipotle powder
think a friend has some ale yeast...if not i will use my cider yeast.
gonna add some lactose sugar at secondary

will let yall know how it turns out...

bovine you rock...that is exactly what i was looking for...wonder how i never managed to find it in my earlier searches.

Back