May have to scrap this one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zsprowls

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Had a 3 gallon batch that started at 1.103. Hopville estimated it would come down to 1.023. I stirred the **** out of it and pitched 1 pack of nottingham (I know... not enough). It fermented hard for a few days then the airlock stopped. I checked the gravity to see where it was and it was at 1.036. Assuming that it had stalled due to the fact that it was about 8.5% alcohol, I ran to the local homebrew store. He gave me a pack of champagne yeast and said stir the heck out of it and pitch the 5g pack of ec-1118. I was concerned because I knew that if fermentation didn't start back up I would be stuck with an oxidized and trashed beer.

24 hours later... and 2 hours after I got it warmed up from 59 degrees to 70... it is still sitting with no movement. The gravity actually reads higher now, but I assume that could be because it isn't as settled as it was before (It has a lot of sludge coca powder in it that was settled to the bottom and since I stirred it it didn't have as much time to settle this round). But none of that really matters I guess if the yeast doesn't pick back up and use all the oxygen.... what do you guys think? Dump and give it another go?

Thanks

Seems like an expensive dump especially if this was extract...

No one can really say anything until you post a recipe. You might have used to many unfermentable sugars.

6lbs light dry malt extract (muntons)
1 lb flaked oats
1/2 lb roasted barley
1/2 lb crystal malt (c 150)
1/2 lb chocolate malt
1/2 lactose
1/2 unsweetened cocoa powder (and judging by the hydrometer sample is wayyy to much)
1 oz cascade hops 60 min

As I said, hopville estimated it down to 1.023 and I wasn't close to that. Its certainly an exoensive dump... but since I opened and stirred it so much... I'm assuming the oxygen will lead to spoilage. So I may be better off to just start over. I guess I could buy a new fermenter and let this one ride out while I make another one.

The bottom line for me is that I would never* dump anything without tasting it post-conditioning and carbing.

*The exception being if I picked up an infection that I noticed/tasted during sampling, bottling, etc.

That 1/2 lb of lactose is what's keeping your gravity high. It's not overly sweet tasting so you may have something drinkable if not good or even great.

I'd bottle it and let it age. Try it every 6 months just to see.

Even with all the oxygen in there will it last long enough for me to try it every 6 months? I do think you are right though. I can just buy a new feementer. Its only been in 6 days so I can't bottle yet. Are those oxygen absorbing caps or whatever they are worth getting?

This is a big beer so oxygen is actually your friend in the aging process. Look up aged old ales, barley-wines and RIS's and you'll see that oxidation is actually a plus in these beers. Look for the term Sherry-like.

Hmm. Very interesting. This is the best news I have heard yet. I will look that uo soon. I can't now because I took Papazians advice to much and drank quite a few of my coffee stouts. The beauty of our hobbie (obsession I mean) is that you drink it. :)

Back