May have pitched the wrong yeast, doh!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
I brewed an english style bitter and thought I was pitching some washed s04 but after I pitched it I looked closer at the label on the jar and it said "s04 ?" I totally didn't see the '?' and would have probably waited to get the correct yeast to pitch. I'm afraid it's us05 and will attenuate too much and dry the beer out beyond my liking. The beer's og was only 1.035 and I mashed at 152 so it wont be the end of the world if it is us05; just not the beer I wanted to brew.

Now, I'm thinking if there's a way to stop fermentation before it reaches a too low terminal gravity but I'm more worried about off flavors from the yeast not being able to clean up or residual sweetness that wasn't consumed by the yeast. So, i think I'm just going to ride it out and hope it turns out drinkable and consider this a cheap lesson to up my yeast labeling game.

I did a very similar thing about a year ago. since then my yeast banking and labeling has been very precise. that being said i let it ride and ended up with a better beer then i expected and it inherited the name "oops" hopefully yours will have an ok result as well.

I brewed an english style bitter and thought I was pitching some washed s04 but after I pitched it I looked closer at the label on the jar and it said "s04 ?" I totally didn't see the '?' and would have probably waited to get the correct yeast to pitch. I'm afraid it's us05 and will attenuate too much and dry the beer out beyond my liking. The beer's og was only 1.035 and I mashed at 152 so it wont be the end of the world if it is us05; just not the beer I wanted to brew.

Now, I'm thinking if there's a way to stop fermentation before it reaches a too low terminal gravity but I'm more worried about off flavors from the yeast not being able to clean up or residual sweetness that wasn't consumed by the yeast. So, i think I'm just going to ride it out and hope it turns out drinkable and consider this a cheap lesson to up my yeast labeling game.
ferment out completely, then you can add back maltodextrin and maybe a smidge of dme to get the body/sweet malty flavor back.

There will be a difference in beer taste between 04 & 05, but if is a well brewed beer, it will taste good either way.

Next time maybe use the other yeast w same recipe, if you want to check it out & learn something.

I'd be more worried about the low OG,,,, how you gonna get a buzz on with that?

There will be a difference in beer taste between 04 & 05, but if is a well brewed beer, it will taste good either way.

Next time maybe use the other yeast w same recipe, if you want to check it out & learn something.

I'd be more worried about the low OG,,,, how you gonna get a buzz on with that?
I intentionally brewed a low gravity bitter because I have so many huge beers on hand I wanted something lighter. I used all MO so it tasted great going into the fermenter. Hopefully it'll taste just as good coming out!

A little update: I think it was indeed s04 because it finished at 1.012 and I think sa05 would have finished dryer. Either way it's nice, simi dry and doughy, with a bitterness that leaves you wanting more.
20201126_132250.jpg

Back